For those with OLED screen, is burning still a issue? Do you exclusively game on it or also productivity?

wow, the difference in Resident Evil 2 and Dying Light 2 is staggering.

There are a few games where the difference is insane and a few games with an insane difference but still with some blooming.

And that's the thing really, 576 dimming zones is enough to get you at OLED levels 85-90% of the time, other times there will still be bloom.

There are some monitors now with 2300+ dimming zones (One monitor has just over 5000!!) and when the IPS black panels start hitting the market the mini-led market is going to become very interesting.

How do you disable FALD just to test it out myself on my TV (QLED)?

Not quite sure what you mean here?

I did this video before I moved to OLED, the blooming with FALD on isn't visible to the eye, it's just picked up by the really sensitive camera sensor.

Video - FALD on vs off

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you mean here?

I did this video before I moved to OLED, the blooming with FALD on isn't visible to the eye, it's just picked up by the really sensitive camera sensor.
the difference is huge, specially seeing it live. My previous question was, how do you turn FALD on and off? I couldn't discern the display's menu settings. In the video you show that in real time, and I wonder how you can disable FALD on a TV or monitor. I don't think I have a setting to achieve that on my display (which is FALD).

My general feeling with this is basically you're asking a reliability question to users which has the problem in that even prolific enthusiasts have a comparatively non representative sample size and poor "test" controls.

In terms of OLED longevity I feel it's going to vary heavily depending on your expectations and environmental conditions. In terms of expectations someone who wants to use their display for 10+ years without any managing versus someone who's willing to baby it and treat it essentially as < 3 year disposable are probably going to have very differing opinions/experiences on burn-in.

One thing I'll say though is in theory from an actual BOM perspective OLEDs can eventually scale to be cheaper than LCDs, even more so than things like FALD. Whether or not that occurs, and whether a competitive market scape exists, in 5 years who knows. But should that occur that would change the burn-in perception considerably if OLED pricing hits currently LCD commodity pricing or lower (well adjusted for inflation anyways).

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had an AW3423DW since around launch period. I use a black background and hide the toolbar in the OS. That's it. Otherwise, I just use it at normal. Not a hint of burn in. No drop in brightness (I have a meter) and no drift in calibration.

Not really an OLED but as we've been talking about mini-LED monitors this is an INSANE deal.

So insane that I've ordered one to move back to mini LED.

darn, the rtings.com review details how good that monitor is.

I am not looking for a new display now, but if I were, I'd certainly consider one of this, or maybe two to use them side to side.

edit: I checked, it's priced 899ā‚¬ here, but a superb deal if you are in the UK

Ā£400 makes it the cheapest 4k monitor with FALD by a long way with the next cheapest being the Samsung Neo 7 at Ā£800+

At it's original Ā£800 price point it was very poor value but at Ā£400 it's unmatched.

Last edited:
Depends on the specifics. QD-Oled yes. W-Oled less so. Look at RTings long-term investigation videos and articles for the specifics.

The QD-OLEDs were not properly running their compensation cycles. Sony were especially egregious with this.

If you check the S95C vs G3 images at 4 months here( G3 started 4 before ), S95C looks better.

The QD-OLEDs were not properly running their compensation cycles. Sony were especially egregious with this.

If you check the S95C vs G3 images at 4 months here( G3 started 4 before ), S95C looks better.

great article, thanks for sharing. It's surprising to know that LCD panels aren't without issues despite not having burn-in. Also surprising how well OLED monitors fare compared to OLED TVs.

10 Month Update! Permanent Burn-In On OLEDs & QD-OLED Monitors

they recommend QD-OLED monitors only for gaming, regular TV watching and stuff is not good for them and started failing after 700 hours of use? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's because of content, most people watch a lot of the same programs over and over so it's more likely to cause burn in on a TV.

Where as a monitor is much more likely to have a wider range of content which reduces burn in.

And as a general update - Laptopsdirect above cancelled my order of the GP27U mini-led as it was priced wrong due to an error - The bastards!!!

It's at Ā£549 now instead of the Ā£400 it was at.

Running different aspect ratio leading to black bars is causing faster burn-in in 700hrs on the QDs since they are boosting the brightness for the 16:9 area in case of the UW. 1st Gen have the software issue for compensation cycles.

I also noticed the brightness increase on S90C when running 21:9 resolution.

One thing I will say from owning the LG 27GR95QE W-OLED, and the Alienware AW3423DWF QD-OLED is that LG's OLED care system is so much better than the Alienware's.

The LG would always flash up a message advising that it was due to run a cycle and whenever I turned the monitor off, it would flash a message saying it needs to run a cycle and the monitor would turn off once complete.

Where as with the Alienware, I find myself having to do it manually 90% of the time and it's never displayed a message advising me it needs to run a cycle.

RTINGS have a new article out on WOLED vs QD-OLED with burn-in updates on the latest from both camps. The S95C looks much better than G3 at 8 months, but they're circumspect regarding how the brightness might fall off for S95C.

After eight months, the S95C shows almost no sign of image retention, whereas the latest, greatest WOLED panel used in the LG G3 OLED already shows severe image retention. So it's clear that the newer S95C OLED is more resilient than both 1st generation QD-OLED and the latest WOLED panels, but it's unclear why exactly this is. Samsung Display has made changes to the panel itself that they claim improves durability, but some significant software changes to the S95C also appear to have a significant impact at reducing the possibility of burn-in.

Back