MS acquires rights to Gears of War franchise; Black Tusk Studios to take over series

That's MS's choice. They can release their IPs on console and/or Windows PC.

Hum.. I guess it would be right to assume that the next Fable installment will be exclusive to Microsoft's console in order to drive initial sales, as was the case with the first Fable game of the last gen, Fable 2.

I think people are being a bit harsh about this; Microsoft need more high value IP.

Creating a new IP that can sell 6mil+ is fucking tough, so it's understandable that they would buy this IP and turn one of their new studios into a GeoW studio.

Outside of Halo and Forza what other big IP do they have?

That can sell 6m+? None and take Forza off that list, it can barely do 2m without heavy bundling.

Gears was a good buy, Epic was probably not going to work on it and the name alone will sell 1-2m even if it is a stinker. I'm sure Black Tusk would rather make its own game, but they can do a two team every other year schedule like Insomniac did last gen.

That can sell 6m+? None and take Forza off that list, it can barely do 2m without heavy bundling.

Gears was a good buy, Epic was probably not going to work on it and the name alone will sell 1-2m even if it is a stinker. I'm sure Black Tusk would rather make its own game, but they can do a two team every other year schedule like Insomniac did last gen.

But it seems that Black Tusk have been creatively emasculated by MS's current insecurity with the Xbone. Their clever new IP has, effectively, been killed by MS even though they were of the opposite opinion. They can't be feeling that good about being squeezed into being the purveyors of a financially safe, old franchise like Rare was before them.

It kind of defeats the original purpose of the creation Black Tusk.

Cliff Bleszinski wrote about the news in his blog.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/74738315563/the-one-constant-is-change

Friends,

Waking up today I was drowning in a deluge of emails, tweets, direct messages and smoke signals.

My former employer has sold the Gears of War IP/franchise to Microsoft and my friend Rod Fergusson is going to be working on it.

To be honest, I don’t think the franchise could be in better hands. Heck, Rod’s Twitter handle, to this day, is “Gears Viking.” Gears is just as much Rod’s baby as it was mine. He’ll take good care of her. (Rod, I owe you a girly drink at GDC.)

Phil Spencer went out of his way to give me a phone call to inform me of the transaction last week. Phil, you didn’t have to do that, you’re a gentleman. I appreciate it; that goes a long way.

343 knocked it out of the park with Halo and I think Black Tusk will do a fantastic job with Gears. I suppose this puts the nail in the coffin of the question “Will Gears ever come to Playstation?”

Safe to say that’s not likely to happen. (Besides, it gives me something to look forward to on Xbox One besides Titanfall and Project Spark…oh and more Halo, of course.)

Now that that’s out of the way…

I’m not going to move to Vancouver and work on it.
I’m not going to consult on it.
My headspace is in the future now, not the past.

I have come to realize that until you give people something new to focus on they will obsess about the past. (good problem to have!)

To those of you who love Gears, I love you as well, and I appreciate your support through the years. The fandom, the cosplay, the tattoos, it all means more than any amount of money could ever mean.

These recent events have steeled my resolve to make something entirely new.

Time for new cosplay, new tattoos, new fandom.

Fingers crossed there will be news soon.

Stay tuned.
Love,
Clifford

List of IPs owned by MS.
I feel I am helping to derail the thread though.
I am really surprised by the extension and surprising games of that list (Tork Prehistoric Punk?), albeit I have/had some of the not so famous games on it, like Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Mark of the Ninja and quite a few others.

Purchasing GeoW was a good move 'cos for instance, friends like a girl in my XBL friends list was on the fence about what new console to buy for this gen, and she mentioned that now she is going to buy the Xbox One no matter what.

This also gives hope for crossovers, and things like kart games with Marcus and others, could be so very fun.

Microsoft don't have the gaming culture of Nintendo and Sony, so every new exclusive game is good.

Too bad they let Mass Effect go. :cry: I loved that game so much.

It didnt, part 3 sold less than 2 million
then again the last gears of war game also has sold under 2 million as well
Like I predicted for COD, I think the franchise is on the wane

Gears: Judgement sold very similar to god of war: ascension. But I doubt many are saying that series is "on the wane"...

There are actually lots of parallels there (not main story entries, new developer), but I dont think we can declare the series dead off of Judgement.

Timing: Basically I slot this for MS's holiday 15 tentpole, since Halo will be Holiday 14. A bit annoying imo, simply because that's nearly two years until next gen Gears goodness., and I'd like to see it a lot sooner.

I'm a Xbox gamer for the online/OS, the controller, and Gears/Halo basically, so it's good to see the series recent questionable fate be resolved positively. We knew something had to break there.

Bah, they tell a studio working on new IP to make more Bros of War games instead.

MS's 1P strategy is really short sighted...
It's like if Activision became a platform holder.
They'll just keep churning out Halo, Fable, Gears, Forza, creative bankruptcy be damned.

Bah, they tell a studio working on new IP to make more Bros of War games instead.

MS's 1P strategy is really short sighted...
It's like if Activision became a platform holder.
They'll just keep churning out Halo, Fable, Gears, Forza, creative bankruptcy be damned.

And Sony will keep churning out Uncharted, God of War, Infamous, Gran Turismo

And Nintendo Mario and Zelda :rolleyes:

Video games are a primarily sequel driven industry...even far moreso than movies imo.

You can give Sony kudos for a unique new IP title here and there (maybe Last of Us, Beyond). But I guess Microsoft does have Quantum Break and a few others I dont care about (Project Spark etc) too.

I like Gears and Halo, so I want more. But some new IP's on TOP of that would be cool, sure.

And Sony will keep churning out Uncharted, God of War, Infamous, Gran Turismo

And Nintendo Mario and Zelda :rolleyes:

Video games are a primarily sequel driven industry...even far moreso than movies imo.

You can give Sony kudos for a unique new IP title here and there (maybe Last of Us, Beyond). But I guess Microsoft does have Quantum Break and a few others I dont care about (Project Spark etc) too.

I like Gears and Halo, so I want more. But some new IP's on TOP of that would be cool, sure.

The difference being that what has happened to BT would be like Sony turning around to RaD or ND and telling them to can any new ideas or IP and start churning out Resistance or something. Reiterating the same tired old IP isn't what BT were created for.

What has BT made before? Who are these guys?

Also, will James Hawkins still make art for Gears? He is Gears for me. Love his designs, the game was okay for me, rinse repeat over n over, but the art style was supreme ! Although it kept changing from 1 to 2 to 3. Will he still work on it?

This confirms no Gears on ps4. I was hopeful after their contract's end. So, is Epic totally out of game-making business now? only Engine development?

Also, if they are announcing it now, it means no Gears was in development till now, dopesn't it? Which means a loooong wait fo rthe next.

Who knows how long Ms have known they were going to buy the Ip. Phil Spencer said that they have been in talks with Epic about the future of Gears since fall. This could have been planned for a while.
We never got any details about exactly what Black Tusk were working on prior to this. The tech demo at E3 was created with Unreal 4 but honestly the subject matter was extremely generic and non specific.
Not one word has been mentioned about this demo by microsoft since then. Who knows this could have been planned since before E3 and the partys involved could not say anything until the deal was final.

The difference being that what has happened to BT would be like Sony turning around to RaD or ND and telling them to can any new ideas or IP and start churning out Resistance or something. Reiterating the same tired old IP isn't what BT were created for.

Isn't ND working on yet another Uncharted?

Anyway I wonder if the next Gears will use UE4? Or Cryengine like Ryse? I think Gears still has legs and a very loyal fan base so hopefully it gets a very nice reboot in MS's hands.

With that said I find it interesting that Epic Games have a knack for coming up with cool tech demos that have great franchise potential. IIRC the original Gears was a tech demo for UE3 which means I wouldn't be surprised to see a game based on the Infiltrator demo in the future. I believe this acquisition has far more repercussions than what's on the surface.

Last edited by a moderator:
This confirms no Gears on ps4. I was hopeful after their contract's end. So, is Epic totally out of game-making business now? only Engine development?

They are working on that Fortnight game at least that I know of. Thing is, Epic was fond of bragging how cheap the Gears games were to make (of course not including they own the engine). I want to say Gears teams were only like 60 people. Point is it's totally feasible Epic has room for only one unaccounted for triple A project with the people freed up by losing Gears. Which I'm assuming is something unannounced. like a Samaritan demo game.

Who knows how long Ms have known they were going to buy the Ip. Phil Spencer said that they have been in talks with Epic about the future of Gears since fall. This could have been planned for a while.
We never got any details about exactly what Black Tusk were working on prior to this. The tech demo at E3 was created with Unreal 4 but honestly the subject matter was extremely generic and non specific.
Not one word has been mentioned about this demo by microsoft since then. Who knows this could have been planned since before E3 and the partys involved could not say anything until the deal was final.

There's a lot more info in this long series of tweets on GAF http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98804141&postcount=1

The takeaway though, Phil Spencer confirms BT is ONLY working on Gears right now. There's no mystery new IP project.

Isn't ND working on yet another Uncharted?

Anyway I wonder if the next Gears will use UE4? Or Cryengine like Ryse? I think Gears still has legs and a very loyal fan base so hopefully it gets a very nice reboot in MS's hands.

With that said I find it interesting that Epic Games have a knack for coming up with cool tech demos that have great franchise potential. IIRC the original Gears was a tech demo for UE3 which means I wouldn't be surprised to see a game based on the Infiltrator demo in the future. I believe this acquisition has far more repercussions than what's on the surface.

I would assume Gears would use UE4, I never even considered otherwise, but a Cryengine based Gears would certainly be odd!

Mark Rein's tweeted at MS guys in a supportive manner over the Gears purchase announcement, another reason I'd assume they're staying with UE.

I'd rather see a Samaritan game than Infiltrator maybe. Loved that Blade Runner atmosphere.

Personally I imagine Epic team just "got tired" of working on Gears. I remember even years ago, CliffyB lamenting how although it was great to create a huge new IP after Unreal Tournament, some at Epic had worked their whole adult lives on Gears...

I would assume Gears would use UE4, I never even considered otherwise, but a Cryengine based Gears would certainly be odd!

Mark Rein's tweeted at MS guys in a supportive manner over the Gears purchase announcement, another reason I'd assume they're staying with UE.

I'd rather see a Samaritan game than Infiltrator maybe. Loved that Blade Runner atmosphere.

Yeah I just read about BT's E3 techdemo which used UE4. Also agree that Samaritan would be more interesting than another sci fi shooter but either one would have AAA potential if done right.

Black Tusk was hiring for a writing position on their new tent-pole, AAAA, trans-media IP as recently as two weeks ago. It's safe to say they had no idea this was coming until very recently.

When they announced the rebranding of the Vancouver studio as Black Tusk MS talked about it being an incubator for new IP going into next gen. At E3 the "tech demo" was described as a teaser for a new IP from Black Tusk. Phil Spencer's attempt to reframe what was shown there as merely a tech demo is laughable, and demonstrably false. What's worse it doesn't actually make MS look better. They could have spun the shift in priorities at Black Tusk as a "golden opportunity to put their most promising talent on one of the biggest names in gaming", but instead he makes it sound like the hot new studio in Vancouver actually had their thumb up their asses for the last few years.

Back