Motorstorm (PS3)

Acert93 said:
Whoever chose that level of motion blur should have their eyes taped open, strapped to a chair, and forced to read the license plates on the vehicles at gun point :devilish:
:LOL:

yea the blur is definitely not subtle, you can't really see the textures

koldfuzion said:
Um, I don't think it's all a result of the motion blur or a lack of skill on XB's part--photos of televisions with a lot of motion in the pic generally come out looking like crap. I think it'll look a hell of a lot better in video.

The direct feeds in the other media show a similar level of blur. Note this one, how not only the ground but the vehicles in front of the racer are also blurred.

There is a lot of motion blur because the game itself uses it liberally. Pictures from video screens may pronounce the issue some, but the direct feed media demonstrates this is primarily due to the game engine settings.

I like DOF and Motion Blur, but they require conservative use and it helps when the world is robust and rich in detail.

Then again, those are not gameplay shots. Lets just wait till we get our grubby hands on some gameplay video, hopefully in HD. :D

I've got a *lot* to write about, and a lot of footage (including of Motorstorm) and other stuff... it's busy, and it's not made better by the fact that I make time for myself too. ;)

Anyway I'll try to put some more photos up, and try to get my video up... maybe Saturday (it's on Transflash and I need the adaptor).

Here's my review of the demo though, and results of my interviewing Evolution developer Simon Benson.

I'll try to pop back in now and then, but follow the photo blog for random updates and pictures of me with hot girls! ;)

Motorstorm Impression

koldfuzion said:
Yep. Got me there. QED.

To the games credit, the shots from the floor are blurrier due to the video-grab. Anyhow, my comment was in good natured fun. I wouldn't really stick a gun to their head... but I was not joking about the tape and chair ;)

http://www.playsyde.com/news_2987_en.html

Not so blurry ;)

Enjoy the short video, a longer will be up later.

One of the appealing things about the video last year was that the course seemed to have wide open areas and there was also hard ground. There was also a lot of large rocks, cactii, and other stuff. Anyhow, besides the drop off from the CGI, the game looks fun. Appears to have a lot of action and online should be cool. Admittadly I am a little let down by this specific title (this was my favorite E3 2005 video) but it looks like a good experience none the less.

Definately not on the scale of what we saw last year I'd say. But it definately does look nice and next gen. The mud looks great all clunked up on the buggy, but would like to see more mud flying around. Also more sparks. Vehicle physics look cool, im interested in seeing the destruction side of the physics. Dunno about those rocks/cliffs/walls, kinda expected a little bit more. Maybe im just nitpicking too much, this isnt really a high quality feed or a long video.

But man that video was short though, 13 seconds (including the xboxyde logo) , ill be waiting for the longer one.

Acert93 said:
Appears to have a lot of action and online should be cool.
Yea, does seem like it would be a very fun online or multiplayer game, are there any announced multiplayer modes/plans?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't torrent frm this machine right now so I can't check it out, but I've got seven minutes of footage of the game, and the more you watch it the better it gets. That said, I agree I would have liked it if there was more of a visual 'splashing' of the mud - that was the first thing I noticed as being 'lacking.'

But to be fair you forget about it quickly enough.

The cacti and such are a little bland - but we'll see what happens as the game gets fleshed out. Each Sony station has a sticker indicating how far towards completion it is. I forget Motorstorm's; Heavenly Sword is at 50% completion and Resistance 70% completion to set some reference points though.

Obviously nowhere near E305 target movie but it still looks pretty good IMO

I'm sure just like all the next gen games, on an HDTV in person, big difference. I hope they release an direct feed HD trailer of in game play so we can really see the details.

I hope they do some snow/ice tracks (the deformation would work well with those too) and some plain dirt tracks to see some good dust particle effects.

that would be cool.

xbdestroya said:
I can't torrent frm this machine right now so I can't check it out, but I've got seven minutes of footage of the game, and the more you watch it the better it gets. That said, I agree I would have liked it if there was more of a visual 'splashing' of the mud - that was the first thing I noticed as being 'lacking.'
7 minutes of video? whoa...please find a way to get that uploaded. I would like to see the destruction you were talking about in your article, sounds like fun.

xbdestroya said:
I forget Motorstorm's; Heavenly Sword is at 50% completion and Resistance 70% completion to set some reference points though.
Yeah, theres a list here, http://ps3.ign.com/articles/707/707248p1.html unfortunately it doesnt list motorstorm.

fulcizombie said:
They should just forget about this just like killzone 2....
um, whats up with the trolling? you think they should just scrap the entire game? lol

Tap In said:
I hope they do some snow/ice tracks (the deformation would work well with those too) and some plain dirt tracks to see some good dust particle effects.

that would be cool.
I like that idea alot. Maybe even some beach levels with going through sand and water.

Those are some HOT ideas! Dry/cracked ground with nice dust particles, deformable sand & water plashes, deformable snow and snow blowing... that would liven things up!

Acert93 said:
Those are some HOT ideas! Dry/cracked ground with nice dust particles, deformable sand & water plashes, deformable snow and snow blowing... that would liven things up!

I think it was the lead designer who said one of the tracks they're working on is a velodrome style course around the center of a volcano, with lava spewing and whatnot. Sounds like they're gonna have some good variety. This is actually quite a style departure for Evolution, they did the excellent WRC licensed series for SCEE and before that they were working on military sims for the US. Now its like they're finally getting to let down their hair a bit. :)

One thing Im really looking forward to is their cockpit views for all the different vehicles. I doubt if it'll match the target render stuff but going by their WRC work they'll be nice and immersive.

IGN's impressions, they seem quite impressed. Sounds like a lot of fun:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/707/707911p1.html

While Hollywood stated that it's been difficult to get the game up to the level of presentation that was shown at last year's Sony press conference, he thought that what they had was pretty impressive so far.

Once we jumped behind the wheel, it was pretty hard to disagree with him.

The implementation of Havok for the physics really was impressive as other competitors took out fellow drivers -- at one point, three drivers teamed up to drive the big rig into concrete barriers, at which point it exploded into a shower of sparks and car parts. Even the rogue wheels of this truck sank into some of the ruts of the dirt where previous cars had driven before firmly coming to rest in the mud.

Still planned for launch too, which is cool.

edit - also, BlimBlim has a full video up now!

http://www.playsyde.com/leech_2636_en.html

Thanks Titanio.

The R1 button provided you with a nitro boost, which propelled you down the track at breakneck speed. While you had four of these boosts at the start of the race, Hollywood cautioned that the computer driven opponents did as well, so you really had to time when you were going to use a boost and when you weren't.
Didnt realise the game had nitro, cool stuff.

Even better were some of the celebrations and curses that were hurled at cars. Some drivers flipped off other racers, while some shook their fist. One guy on an ATV grabbed his crotch as he taunted a wreck that he passed. Obviously not one for the kids, but a lot of amusement for the adults.
haha, i just got a little more excited about this title. road rage ftw.

He did mention that players will be able to take any CD they own and put it into their PS3s, and the game will "live-ify" the disc, making any music sound as if it's being performed on a mainstage at a concert.
about freaking time Sony :D

Tap In's Ideas got me wondering about different map styles and levels, wish they would have asked that type of question.

edit:
after watching the video footage i have a mixed bag feeling

good:
-ai seems pretty competitive
-the bike crashing into the wall and the guy flying off was cool
-i like the fact the mud wasnt always shiny, in the shadows it looked pretty good
-cars falling apart and breaking was cool
-walls/cliffs/rocks looked alot better in some parts, huge open areas makes it more immersive
-hdr looked pretty good when coming out of the canyons
-mud tracks EVERYWHERE was cool
-draw distance seemed pretty good from what i could tell, may just be the quality of the video though

bad:
-hud? no speedometer? lap times?
-walls/cliffs/rocks looked pretty bad in some parts
-sparks seem to occur even in the mud with no other cars damaging you
-more mud splashing would be cool
-more car damage, deforming metal and such would be cool
-not really sure but the track seemed pretty short
-no smoke or exhaust effects seen, could be the video
-no clouds in the sky?
-didnt really see any motion blur, maybe that only occurs on nitro, but the sense of speed really wasnt there
-does need some better textures here and there

overall, its not like last years video of course, but it does look good (definately next gen), and does look pretty fun. the fact that its only 50% done is pretty nice to hear, means they have alot of room to touch up on things, add more features and levels, etc.

would love to see more of it, 7minute video--cmon xbdestroya :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back