Motorstorm (PS3)

This will be interesting. I think most people believe that we wouldn't see graphics like the E3 vid first gen. If that video interview we saw awhile back is correct, we will. Maybe they'll start posting some screens soon. :)

*sits and waits for thread to degenerate into a MOTORSTORM AND KILLZONE ARE TEH REELTYME! NO THEY'RE CEE GEE AYE!! NO THEYRE REEL!! NO THEIR CEE GEE! thread*

It's interesting to compare the first/second party lineup with that of PS2, to see how far Sony has come. Even in these early stages we have Warhawk, Lair and MotorStorm, confirmed, and the likes of I-8 and Heavenly Sword are probables too (if not at launch, then early in its life at least), and maybe a couple of sports titles (F1, a 989 Basketball game, perhaps?). In contrast, the only first party title at PS2's US launch was Fantavision. It's fairly obvious that Sony's first party efforts have matured considerably through PS2's life, but it seems they're only getting even more aggressive going forward.

Also note that barring the sports titles mentioned above, all the titles are originals (well, ok, you might count out Warhawk, but we haven't seen it since PSone days :p).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really curious to see what Lair is all about. Motostorm though, doesn't excite me much. Give me Gran Turismo 5! :D

drpepper said:
I'm really curious to see what Lair is all about. Motostorm though, doesn't excite me much. Give me Gran Turismo 5! :D

Hey, Motorstorm might have a "cover your screen with mud in the shortest time possible" minigame!

drpepper said:
I'm really curious to see what Lair is all about. :D

Same, I'm wondering if it is gonna be like Panzer Dragoon or something else. I can totally see the game going in a direction like Panzer, Rogue Squad type controls for a dragon, shooting fire balls and other special attacks. But if you watch the vid, they show, cut scene form though, mid air melee combat. Maybe a mix of Rogue Squad and Z.O.E gameplay.

Dragon-based ZOE-style play would be very awesome. The melee combat could be absolutely brutal. I just hope you can't shoot 'fireballs', or any ranged weapon. I'd rather burninate with streams of fire for air-to-ground combat, and grapple enemies with my claws, followed by melting some faces for air-to-air. Then again, we know pretty much nothing about how it plays, so I'll probably end up being pleasantly surprised by something I'm not expecting.

This is at the Evo site. Its not directly about Motorstorm but its interesting nonetheless...

Evolution Home Page said:
Is It Accessible?
Next generation games graphics capabilities mean that it is now possible to deliver very high accuracy simulation at a very reasonable cost. Using two projectors ESP can deliver superb 3D with real depth, so the driver can judge distances to obstacles and corners far better than with normal 2D displays. The benefit of this in a driving simulation goes without saying.

I find that absolutley cool (i've heard about this before also). I've also read that Evolution Studios was formerly makers of militaristic sims (for the military). Can't wait to see how Motorstorm turns out (the WRC series is supposed to be real good).

BlueTsunami said:
I find that absolutley cool (i've heard about this before also). I've also read that Evolution Studios was formerly makers of militaristic sims (for the military). Can't wait to see how Motorstorm turns out (the WRC series is supposed to be real good).
Yep ;)

By the way, the latest Cinefex (movie VFX magazine) has a job ad from Factor 5 with two small images, one is the head of a dragon sculpture and the other is its realtime (but untextured) version. Looks quite cool, seems like a combination of low-level displacement mapping (100K polygons should be good for that) and normal mapping for the small details.

drpepper said:

C'mon, motorstorm looks fun as hell! It's like some destruction derby game with smugglers run and motoracer and.. just.. awesome...
:D

Man I like the line-up so far; warhawk, lair and motorstorm. Hopefully they'll finish moh:a in time too. :)

dukmahsik said:
actually i was being serious

Its more or less a take it or dismiss it scenario with this video. The CEO? of Evolution Studios stated that the video was fully scripted was actually in engine? or something with AI and Game Logic turned off. *This was said at the Australian Game Developers Conference, it was said on video.

I personally think its doable but its the cinematic and dynamic camera that make it very unbelievable. Theres a point in the vid where you can see possibly actual gameplay (no cinematic). Looks more cumbersome (since its the top down 3rd person view most racers do).

I'm hoping Evo make a good in cabin camera for all the vehicles. Raises the immersion level in my opinion. The video could be considered one big replay video accentuating the BOOMS and the BANGS.

Edit:

Heres the clip I was talking about...(*added a bigger GIF)

motorstorm2.gif

Thats a section of the video in question. Its goes by quickly (almost unnoticed)..

Dam that mud part almost makes'y shout a cRaZy "YEEEEHHHAAaaaw!"

/calms down and stops dreaming....

BlueTsunami said:
Its more or less a take it or dismiss it scenario with this video. The CEO? of Evolution Studios stated that the video was fully scripted was actually in engine? or something with AI and Game Logic turned off. *This was said at the Australian Game Developers Conference, it was said on video.

He didn't say this, the editor of the show said it. All Kenwright said was that it was "faithful". Which actually suggests it was not realtime stuff.

Now can we leave it at that, please? london-boy will have a heart attack :p

Here's the only other comments I could find from him about the game:

While all three games are looking special, it's that spectacular glimpse of the next generation that has everyone talking. "It's five years' worth of stuff we can't do in WRC, all poured into one game," Kenwright says about the game.

Letting slip more details exclusively to PlayStation.com, Martin enthuses about a velodrome-style track that's to be set within the crater of a volcano. "You're right up on the [vertical] sides of the crater," he enthuses, "and you'll have rocks falling past and everything.".

Back