Sony closes Evolution Studios (DriveClub, Motorstorm series).

Clukos

Bloodborne 2 when?
Veteran
Supporter
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-03-22-sony-confirms-closure-of-evolution-studio

Rest in peace Evo... That sucks, Driveclub has been amazing.
Regular reviews take place throughout SCE Worldwide Studios, ensuring that the resources that we have in such a competitive landscape can create and produce high quality, innovative and commercially viable projects.

As part of this process we have reviewed and assessed all current projects and plans for the short and medium term and have decided to make some changes to the European studios structure.

As a result, it has been decided that Evolution Studio will close.

It is regrettable that this decision will lead to compulsory redundancies. We accept that this decision will mean that we risk losing high calibre staff but by focusing on other Studios that already have exciting new projects in development we believe we will be in a stronger position going forward and able to offer the best possible content of the highest quality for our consumers.

Where possible we will try to reallocate people onto other projects. If appropriate opportunities are not possible within the company, we will assist staff in any way we can, including speaking with local employers and with other development companies.

Evolution has been an important part of SCE Worldwide Studios for over 10 years - working on ground-breaking racing titles like WRC, Motorstorm and DRIVECLUB.

This decision should not take anything away from the great work that Evolution has produced.

and now i regret preordering PSVR, that was the only launch game i was interested in.
Sony you suck really bad.
That is just incomprehensible. They show the game at GDC and few days later they close the studio, what logic is that ?

and now i regret preordering PSVR, that was the only launch game i was interested in.
Sony you suck really bad.
That is just incomprehensible. They show the game at GDC and few days later they close the studio, what logic is that ?

It is just stupid to close the sudio before releasing Drive Club VR...

CeKbkqMWAAAjyZ4.jpg:large

This sucks. Maybe DriveClub had problems in VR, otherwise it makes no sense.

I came to this thread hoping for some chat about today's update with the Regera and XJ220, and found this. Waaa, this was easily my favourite game of this generation. I guess development of completely new stuff stops, but easy to generate (new cars!) might still happen?

I came to this thread hoping for some chat about today's update with the Regera and XJ220, and found this. Waaa, this was easily my favourite game of this generation. I guess development of completely new stuff stops, but easy to generate (new cars!) might still happen?

It's not as easy sadly, takes about 1000 man hours to create one: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03...das-each-car-requires-1000-man-hours-to-make/

:|

At least almost everyone on the internet seems to be thinking the same thing about these news "What the f Sony?" Maybe the game wasn't as profitable as they wanted it to be... One of the best racing games I've played, and I've played most of them the past 18 years.

Maybe the game I have played the most on my PS4! This is really sad news.

Driveclub will live on under the care of the awesome team at Playstation...the best is yet to come
Hopefully Driveclub VR? If not, what does it mean? Is it only PR stuff?

Now that i think about it, maybe Evo didn't plan anything else other than supporting Driveclub and that's why Sony closed them down? I would totally buy a Driveclub 2 but i guess Sony didn't want a repeat of the initial launch.

Now that i think about it, maybe Evo didn't plan anything else other than supporting Driveclub and that's why Sony closed them down? I would totally buy a Driveclub 2 but i guess Sony didn't want a repeat of the initial launch.

Sales of car games are lackluster. GT Sport and Drive Club are redundant for Sony and GT is much more popular. So sad Motorstorm was not a commercial sucess...

The only good news is probably that GT Sport will release this fall, they need a VR racer.

WHat the fuck ! I thought you guys are discussing the Bikes update !

How can this be ???? What the hell happened here? This sure seems like a sudden decision cos they were providing grpahical upgrades uptill last month and now the bloody studio is closed ! ?!

What about my next gen Motorstorm ! Waaaaaa . . . .. T_T I always show this game so proudly to friends and to know this game led to their closure :cry: !

It's not as easy sadly, takes about 1000 man hours to create one: http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/03...das-each-car-requires-1000-man-hours-to-make/

:|

At least almost everyone on the internet seems to be thinking the same thing about these news "What the f Sony?" Maybe the game wasn't as profitable as they wanted it to be... One of the best racing games I've played, and I've played most of them the past 18 years.

Maybe they wanted cars made faster?

Ok.. that was a bad joke... :(

But even so, 1000 hours seens like a lot. With a 12 hours work day, thats 83 days...

Was Evolution working on other things? Or just patching and releasing new cars? How many elements were there, anyone knows?

Sony knows, and i'm guessing that's the reason the studio closed. Driveclub is excellent in it's current form, i don't think it was that expensive to sustain to lead to the closure.

Back