Microsoft Xbox Reveal Event - May 21, 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm sure Sony fans would equally choose B in a heart beat, if the cost was the same. My choices A and B were based on a sequence of assumptions, don't you want to know what they are before calling the choice silly?

aaaaaand we're back to imaginary hidden power.

Not really no because your assuming that Kinect is the reason the xbox one has a slower gpu. But we really don't know because we don't know the price of Kinect , the price of a faster gpu or anything else so its all asumptions.

MS still hasn't released clock speeds .They may not have because it will allow people to pin point the speed of the system but they may also not have because its still not a settled spec and they can still change in the coming months. If I recall correctly the 360 didn't enter manufacturing until late sept of 2005

Cloud computing is about infrastructure. Microsoft has the advantage that they can build on and extend the azure infrastructure for this. They have already spent billions building out azure. They can also afford to overbuild because the excess unused cycles can be used by other azure clients.

Neither Sony, Nintendo or any game publisher can afford to do this. Throw in access to the cloud as part of the game licensing costs, and then yes, while it is technically possible other consoles can take advantage of the cloud, practically it is not as likely.

Sony has Gaikai team for the cloud front. Don't they have enough experience.

Anyways, Isn't it all unuseable unless u everyone has stable internet and remain always online? Maybe it can be used only in a few MP focussed titles but won't change the way SP is made in a significant way, can it? I mean will the game pause if the data hasn't yet reached back from the cloud for the AI to function? Everyone doesn't hVe the most stable connections. Not me, but I can ply MP without problems, but I know my current connection varies like a sine wave.

Isn't this just a load of horseshit though? Are some magical new servers going to come to market in November that didn't exist 5yrs ago? And how in the world is any of this backend stuff going to ne exclusive to MS? This whole computation in the cloud thing just reeks of trendy buzzwordy garbage... "cloud computing", ya, it's cool, we've been living with it for 20yrs. It only took them a decade to figure out how to sync save files between two different devices...I'm not expecting miracles here.

Perhaps you missed the announcement of the new 300,000 servers going online this year?

Is the backend exclusive? No, but the only real competitors are amazon and google. Sony has neither the expertise nor the capital to replicate that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I could pull up just as many hate and downtime stories about Amazon AWS, April 2011 (over 70 sites down for more than 36 hours), October 2012 (reddit, Pinterest), Christmas Eve 2012 (Netflix). Same for Google's cloud.

Cloud services are still going through growth pains right now, they're learning lessons and improving constantly.

I'm sure that, one day, azure won't suck. I don't know anyone considering it seriously for prod use. We're all on EC2. Sony could use EC2 easily, or Google Compute, or their own Gaikai.

http://amplicate.com/hate/azure
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/22/azure_problem_that_should_never_happen_ever/
http://cumulusglobal.com/cms/azure-fail
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/microsofts-azure-cloud-leap-day-meltdown/10482

Yeah, that's going to be great with DRM on installation.

This sentence is... lacking a certain technical nuance. Let me break down why.

1) Sony could use EC2 easily (emphasis mine). Considering the number of outages Netflix has due to EC2 from bad weather, that sounds like a bad idea. And Netflix only does the simple stuff like streaming. Can you imagine trying to rely on distributed computing at that scale on a 3rd party?
2) Google Compute - unproven at that scale by a third party. A worse choice than even EC2.
3) Gaikai - Never used at the scale necessary to deal with thousands if not millions of concurrent users.

As a general rule, if it's going to be a core competency to your product, it really must be done in-house. It's not that the Gaikai team could eventually scale up to that level, but it was pretty clear from the PlayStation meeting event that they are a few years behind Microsoft in this area (noticed they gave vague promises, not concrete details).

Yeah, I could pull up just as many hate and downtime stories about Amazon AWS, April 2011 (over 70 sites down for more than 36 hours), October 2012 (reddit, Pinterest), Christmas Eve 2012 (Netflix). Same for Google's cloud.

Cloud services are still going through growth pains right now, they're learning lessons and improving constantly.
Yeah, I agree, I was teasing ;)
But it's a serious problem all around if there's a DRM scheme going on. It's the moment people realize it exists, when they can't install or play a single player game. It seems from interviews that Microsoft still isn't sure if they'll do it. I hope a serious break will cause them to desist. Gaming infrastructures are also insanely targetted by hacking and DDoS.

Yeah, I agree, I was teasing ;)
But it's a serious problem all around if there's a DRM scheme going on. It's the moment people realize it exists, when they can't install or play a single player game. It seems from interviews that Microsoft still isn't sure if they'll do it. I hope a serious break will cause them to desist. Gaming infrastructures are also insanely targetted by hacking and DDoS.

a drm scheme should be a lot easier than Netflix or websites or amazon. It should be a few bytes of code sent to a server and a yes/no sent back.

I can't imagine the load being huge and they can set up multiple small sites for this across the country to reduce down time.

For myself the majority of the time I loose internet I also loose power. So its not a big loss for me if it goes out. I do have other things to occupy my time if xbox one has some minute down time .

a drm scheme should be a lot easier than Netflix or websites or amazon. It should be a few bytes of code sent to a server and a yes/no sent back.

I can't imagine the load being huge and they can set up multiple small sites for this across the country to reduce down time.
You mean like SimCity?

How about some concrete examples?

How will cloud computing make the xbone version of COD or FIFA better than the PS4 or PC versions?

Better graphics? Better AI? Better online?

Or maybe some as yet unknown franchise? Like a massive online game supporting more players than WoW?

Technological buzz words are great -- remember the network is the computer or thin clients -- but cloud computing concept has been around since the dot com boom or pretty much since the Internet became a mass phenomenon, almost two decades ago.

Now what are the gaming or even entertainment applications of the cloud infrastructure? Are they going to render the next Halo game in the cloud and stream the results back to your console?

Or are they going to be talking about this coming 'real soon now' for some years? The cloud is not only some large number of servers. It's also vapor. ;)

I'm going to make a confession...

I dont care about indies

There I said it.

lol I'm the same. Also if Ms is successful in making a really good write once run anywhere compiler for the 360/win8/winphone/xbox one indie devs will come running over. It will be a very large market esp compared to the ps4 .

Have they said anything official about media center the lack of it is the only thing that could stop me from buying it

It's almost like a remote server farm somewhere is a stupid place to calculate gamecode for a console title.

You mean like SimCity?

Ironically Diablo 3 was blasted for it's DRM and sold over 10 million. Sim City likely did pretty well too, though it wasn't close to D3 (guessing it'll be an evergreen title by nature though)

I say precisely because it wasn't in the main pirate-able.

That said, offhand pulling numbers out of my butt piracy is probably like 80% on PC and 10-20% on consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back