Microsoft / Xbox Developer_Direct [2023-01-25]

eastmen

Legend
Supporter
1673449459957.png

Xbox and Bethesda will present a Developer_Direct on Wednesday, January 25, providing fans with an inside look at some of the games coming to Xbox, PC and Game Pass over the next few months.

Presented by the game creators themselves from studios including Arkane Austin, Mojang Studios, Turn 10 Studios, and ZeniMax Online Studios, the Developer_Direct will focus on big features, extended gameplay showcases, and the latest info for Xbox games launching in the next few months, including The Elder Scrolls Online, Forza Motorsport, Minecraft Legends, and Redfall.

To dedicate the proper amount of time for a deep dive into Bethesda Game Studios’ Starfield, a standalone show is in the works.

Fans should tune in on Xbox channels (Twitch, YouTube) and Bethesda channels (Twitch, YouTube) at 12pm PT/3pm ET, January 25 to see all the latest on:

• The Elder Scrolls Online: Studio Director Matt Firor will unveil 2023’s major Chapter update, including the latest regions of Tamriel to become playable in ESO, as well as a major new feature coming in the game’s biggest update this year. The Developer_Direct will be immediately followed by the full, standalone ESO Chapter Reveal Event, hosted by Zenimax Online Studios, which will provide all the in-depth details ESO players will be keen to know.
  • Forza Motorsport: The team at Turn 10 Studios have been hard at work, bringing fans the next generation of Forza Motorsport, built from the ground up to take advantage of Xbox Series X|S. Forza Motorsport is back, and we can’t wait to share more gameplay and exciting new details.
  • Minecraft Legends: Mojang Studios will showcase an insider’s look into the PvP multiplayer experience in Minecraft Legends – the upcoming action-strategy game from the makers of Minecraft. Developed in partnership with Blackbird Interactive and launching this spring, don’t miss exclusive gameplay footage at the Developer_Direct.
  • Redfall: The minds behind Dishonored and Prey, Arkane Austin, will showcase several minutes of gameplay from their upcoming FPS. The Developer_Direct will reveal single and multiplayer gameplay, showing more of how you and your friends will take down bloodthirsty Vampires on the picturesque island of Redfall, Massachusetts. Fans can expect to learn more about combat, customization, bosses, the open world, and mor

I'm excited to see what Minecraft legends looks like and redfall.

Also it should be noted on its own
"To dedicate the proper amount of time for a deep dive into Bethesda Game Studios’ Starfield, a standalone show is in the works."

I expect a 20-40 minute show just on Starfield likely in march imo.

Sounds like the direct format will be my cup of tea. Definately looking forward to what spin Blackbird/Mojang have put on the RTS. Dungeons is one of the most played family games in our house.

Also, ' coming in the next few months' means Motorsport is actually releasing soonish. I half expected it to be delayed!

Sounds like the direct format will be my cup of tea. Definately looking forward to what spin Blackbird/Mojang have put on the RTS. Dungeons is one of the most played family games in our house.

Also, ' coming in the next few months' means Motorsport is actually releasing soonish. I half expected it to be delayed!
It be great if we get a few big shows a year followed by a few directs like this going more indepth on soon to be released games.

I expect Forza, Redfall and Starfield to launch before June. Maybe Starfield might get a July date but I don't think so

View attachment 8099

I'm excited to see what Minecraft legends looks like and redfall.

Also it should be noted on its own
"To dedicate the proper amount of time for a deep dive into Bethesda Game Studios’ Starfield, a standalone show is in the works."

I expect a 20-40 minute show just on Starfield likely in march imo.
They needed this badly. I would still prefer something at the VGAs for future titles and this for the next 6 months type thing.

But Xbox still in recovery mode here imo. These titles need to deliver.

They needed this badly. I would still prefer something at the VGAs for future titles and this for the next 6 months type thing.

But Xbox still in recovery mode here imo. These titles need to deliver.

Why ? The vga's had trailers and the majority of the trailers were junk. I rather a deep dive like this in January than a 2-3 minute trailer that shows barely any game play.

Why ? The vga's had trailers and the majority of the trailers were junk. I rather a deep dive like this in January than a 2-3 minute trailer that shows barely any game play.
The general lack of presence in nominations, awards, and trailers was painful reminder that nothing happened with Xbox last year, the lack of any trailers sort of gave me the viewer the feeling that 2023 would just repeat the same.

You can only ride so long on “the games are coming”. They have studios, and many of them. If those games don’t come out, can’t get nominations, cannot be trailered, one has to ask what MS is doing.

2023 needs to be a paradigm shift for their first party output in both quantity and quality going forward imo. Ideally they would snowball that into something tangible by generations end.

The general lack of presence in nominations, awards, and trailers was painful reminder that nothing happened with Xbox last year, the lack of any trailers sort of gave me the viewer the feeling that 2023 would just repeat the same.

You can only ride so long on “the games are coming”. They have studios, and many of them. If those games don’t come out, can’t get nominations, cannot be trailered, one has to ask what MS is doing.

2023 needs to be a paradigm shift for their first party output in both quantity and quality going forward imo. Ideally they would snowball that into something tangible by generations end.

Nominations and awards are not really up to MS. The awards were generally locked into two games. I don't think a few trailers would have changed anyones opinon and more likely people would have just changed what they are complaining about. It's the same with releases. If MS did push out redfall and starfield adn they were buggy messes people would go on and on about how buggy MS game releases are instead of how MS had no games. It will always be something with fandom wars. Even now I am seeing on other sites and social media that people are making fun of ESO being part of this showcase as if there aren't millions of players who want more content for a game they enjoy.

Games take longer to develop than ever before. Unlike most of Sony's ouput recently its not cross gen sequels to popular franchises nor remasters of last gen games. A god of war to god of war 2 with a lot of shared models and assets designed around ps4 will get made a lot faster than new ip using ground up assets like Avowed for instance. Going forward you will see more games more consistently from MS but it takes time to get the ball moving esp as each generation head count and dev time goes up. With activision /Blizzard Ms will get even more consistent

Last edited:
Nominations and awards are not really up to MS. The awards were generally locked into two games. I don't think a few trailers would have changed anyones opinon and more likely people would have just changed what they are complaining about. It's the same with releases. If MS did push out redfall and starfield adn they were buggy messes people would go on and on about how buggy MS game releases are instead of how MS had no games. It will always be something with fandom wars. Even now I am seeing on other sites and social media that people are making fun of ESO being part of this showcase as if there aren't millions of players who want more content for a game they enjoy.
I don't disagree with your argument. But it's just unfortunate that MS is in this position for as long as they have been. The potential of the 'games are coming' has been long running now. I recognize the challenge of actually delivering on this statement. But nonetheless they must deliver for their customers. Nominations and awards are not up to MS, but that is some form of barometer of how people feel about their games. Ubisoft didn't show up there either. It was quiet for MS and, I think in an off year that's acceptable, but several years of quiet gets people into the FUD zone.

I mean, the greatest critique against Xbox is that they've been known to be the Halo, Forza, Gears only platform. And that's not really the problem. We can always be reductive to anything in forum posts. The issue is that Halo and Gears aren't setting the world on fire, because if they were, that would be acceptable to gamers.

So I guess, not having anything nominated at the VGAs is some form of confirmation bias that the titles put out by MS, though few, are not quality enough to reach award levels.

And so they really need to fix this. In both the consistency of reaching deadlines, and increasing the quality bar to be nominated in specific categories.

Simply look beyond TGAs for other Game of the Year awards and you will see plenty of Microsoft nominations and wins.
yea i agree. I hate calling the TGAs the 'oscars' of the video games, but it's the primary one at the moment. We can all have say personal opinions about it's validity, which lol, you know how I feel about it lol. But it's definitely got a ton of exposure and has largely been a stand in for the loss of E3 - I guess in that format, I want to treat TGAs like the same as office optics, you may be doing work, but every time the boss is looking over and you're browsing the phone, it's still a bad look.

I really hope this is the turn around point for MS here, otherwise they're going to have gerrymander their own market called value console gaming.

I don't disagree with your argument. But it's just unfortunate that MS is in this position for as long as they have been. The potential of the 'games are coming' has been long running now. I recognize the challenge of actually delivering on this statement. But nonetheless they must deliver for their customers. Nominations and awards are not up to MS, but that is some form of barometer of how people feel about their games. Ubisoft didn't show up there either. It was quiet for MS and, I think in an off year that's acceptable, but several years of quiet gets people into the FUD zone.

I mean, the greatest critique against Xbox is that they've been known to be the Halo, Forza, Gears only platform. And that's not really the problem. We can always be reductive to anything in forum posts. The issue is that Halo and Gears aren't setting the world on fire, because if they were, that would be acceptable to gamers.

So I guess, not having anything nominated at the VGAs is some form of confirmation bias that the titles put out by MS, though few, are not quality enough to reach award levels.

And so they really need to fix this. In both the consistency of reaching deadlines, and increasing the quality bar to be nominated in specific categories.
I think they have had a better flow of games up until this year where there was a bit of a drought by both Starfield and Redfall being delayed. The downside is obvious , however the upside allows 2023 to already have a few big games coming out so if a game that internally has a 2023 release date slips into 2024 it wont be as noticeable of an absence in the future.

You are saying Halo and gears aren't setting the world on fire and that may be true even though they both review pretty well. But the issue is MS has titles that are already announced and have already had trailers. Adding new trailers isn't going to do much for them. We already know fable , outerwold 2 , avowed , state of decay 3 and so many others are coming. But what are the options. Show new cgi trailers and get railed on for that? show rough gameplay and get railed on for that ?

I rather have deep dives on upcoming games than trailers for titles that may be years in advance. I rather have them than trailers with xbox branding for multiplatform games too.

MS's titles seem to be fine in terms of critical acclaim . In terms of the VGA's in 2021 MS had deathloop win best game direction , best art direction Forza horizon 5 best audio design , innovation in accessibility , best sports/racing AOE 4 won best sim / strategy game Halo infinite one best players voice

Xbox Game studios had 13 nominations , bethesda 10

Sony didn't win any
So I guess based on 2021 VGA confirmation bias is that titles put out by Sony , though few are not quality enough to reach award levels ?

You see what I am talking about here ? Did the talk go away last year that MS was only a halo / gears / forza company ? Do you think this year with Starfield / redfall / forza and other titles yet to come that they will no longer be considered that ? It doesn't change because its all narratives on forums. If MS had trailers for new games it be like oh haha MS only has trailers and never releases new gaems they all get delayed. IF MS showed redfall and starfield again in trailer form they would say oh they got nothing else for 2023 and so on and so forth. It doesn't ever change. I am sure if MS does start releasing 4 big titles a year people will just move on to say oh its only cause they bought bethesda and activision. It never changes.

I don't agree with the narrative out there. It's bullshit IMO. 2022 was a pretty good time to own an Xbox - Elden Ring was game of the year on Xbox too, you know. :) Plague Tale Requiem was also awesome.

God of War and HFW are awesome games, don't get me wrong, but Sony didn't have anything else setting the word on fire really.

Since XSX launch I've played a lot of MS exclusives that have stood up pretty well. IMO FH5 > GT7, Psychonauts 2 >> Ratchet & Clank, for instance. Flight Sim, Gears Tactics and Halo Infinite are damn good games.

Not to mention that EA games like Mass Effect Legendary are free on Xbox GamePass and so are games like Guardians of the Galaxy and Persona 5 Royal.

It's pretty short sighted to look at just GoW & HFW vs. MS 1st party and not the platform value as a whole. The whole reason Sony had a good year with 1st party in 2022 is because so much of their stuff got delayed from 2021.

I don't agree with the narrative out there. It's bullshit IMO. 2022 was a pretty good time to own an Xbox - Elden Ring was game of the year on Xbox too, you know. :) Plague Tale Requiem was also awesome.

God of War and HFW are awesome games, don't get me wrong, but Sony didn't have anything else setting the word on fire really.

Since XSX launch I've played a lot of MS exclusives that have stood up pretty well. IMO FH5 > GT7, Psychonauts 2 >> Ratchet & Clank, for instance. Flight Sim, Gears Tactics and Halo Infinite are damn good games.

Not to mention that EA games like Mass Effect Legendary are free on Xbox GamePass and so are games like Guardians of the Galaxy and Persona 5 Royal.

It's pretty short sighted to look at just GoW & HFW vs. MS 1st party and not the platform value as a whole. The whole reason Sony had a good year with 1st party in 2022 is because so much of their stuff got delayed from 2021.
even high on life was great. I think there were a ton of great games on the platform. But it is true that MS first party stuff was sparce

however I kinda feel like the VGA show was pretty bad for Sony first party output also in terms of new content. seems like the overwhelming marjority of trailers branded with playstation are multiplatform

Back