Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

expletive said:
MS had every opportunity to support 1080p but chose nt to. Has nothing to do with rushed.
Really? And why is that? Because those owners of new TVs now and in the future supporting it don't matter?
Or maybe it was too expensive?
Or maybe consumer choice is only cool when its what MS chooses for you?

Or maybe it was rushed (because the GPU can't support it).
expletive said:
Just because they can get some drivers installed on a windows PC doesnt mean that BR will be supported in Vista via the UI the way HD-DVD will be, and in the end thats what really matters in that space.
Do you really think Vista won't ever get patched to support Blu-ray? Hell I wager the EU will force it upon MS. But even so, most new computers that ship with Blu-ray will have drivers installed before shipping.

expletive said:
And if you look at all this as a ploy to prolong the perception of a format war to the consumer, then its probably going to do its part.
Yes, MS screwing the consumers. Hooray :)

LOOK!

Carlsbad, CA-January 3, 2006 - Pulse~LINK will showcase its Gigabit-rate CWave Ultra Wideband (UWB) platform featuring wireless and wired High Definition audio/video connectivity, HD gaming, and multimedia PC applications at the 2006 International Consumer Electronics Show, January 5-8, in Las Vegas.

Demonstrations include the industry's first wireless DVI/HDMI equivalent; ultra-low latency wireless HD gaming between an Xbox 360 and a HDTV; wireless PC to HDTV Flat Panel connections; and the first ever UWB over coax solution capable of supporting IEEE 1394 S400 (400 Mbps) throughput for whole-home connectivity.

Pulse~LINK's CWave UWB digital home connectivity solution enables simultaneous streaming of multiple HDTV programs, high quality multi-channel audio, and high speed data throughout the home. The PLK23300 is the first UWB chipset to deliver Gigabit data rates both wirelessly and over in-home wired media. Breakthrough applications include wireless DVI/HDMI and 1394 for real-time visually lossless HDTV and the ability to provide an interactive wireless connection between HD video game consoles and HD displays. Pulse~LINK's PLK23300 chipset samples will be available for wireless and coax solutions beginning Q1 2006.

http://www.pulselink.net/pr-jan03-2006.html

Sounds nice, no? More in the link.

I feel this is one of those "Ring of Light" moments where MS execute in a haphazard manner without considering its users. I thought they also started this alternative DVD "standard" with Taiwanese manufacturers (can't remember the name).

The HD-DVD announcement sounds like an item:

(A) To give ammo to marketing in a shouting war. It's just a bullet point for them. They already have the "launch lead" and wants to maintain a leadership position in gamers' mind. As long as they have similar things that are good enough and cheap, then consumers won't look sourly elsewhere (which is quite true in a confusing market). They played the same game against Apple... plus also announcing vaporware when they don't have a matching solution yet.

(B) To resolve and finalize any internal arguments about whether and when to support HD-DVD.

This is in expense of consumers' hard earned money. Without content, I don't see HD-DVD as anything useful. Some will fall for it though (good luck to them). I'm wondering whether the mainstream media will poke holes in MS given this announcement.

Also, what's the business about making legal copies of HD-DVD movies? Am I to understand that I could copy a HDDVD movie to my MCE PC then stream it through to my HDTV?

Then what's the deal with DirecTV about?

Nicked said:
Really? And why is that? Because those owners of new TVs now and in the future supporting it don't matter?
Or maybe it was too expensive?
Or maybe consumer choice is only cool when its what MS chooses for you? Or maybe it was rushed (because the GPU can't support it).

1. I dont think theres a TV now that can accept a 1080p signal, Sony's sure cant. Theres some convergence for ya eh?
2. Maybe they felt it was too expensive, maybe they felt it would only be a very small portion of the market that could use it in the next 5 years and wanted the console to be more affordable for more people in 3 years. Youll have to ask them. I know the power is not there to run 1080p with the grfx we expect at a decent framerate. i ahve no problem with 720p.
3. Devs on this forum are already backing off 1080p. Remember the original xbox supported 720p too and all we got out of it was dragon's lair 3d.

Nicked said:
Do you really think Vista won't ever get patched to support Blu-ray? Hell I wager the EU will force it upon MS. But even so, most new computers that ship with Blu-ray will have drivers installed before shipping.

No i dont think Vista will offer its full media center functionality to BR drives. Theyre already offering incentives to PC makers to make sure PCs get HD-DVD drives in them, theyre not gonna give it all back by giving BR full support.

Nicked said:
Yes, MS screwing the consumers. Hooray :)

While sony hands out money and candy to the masses! Huzzah! ;)

Well not suprise really. Release now and patch later seems to work for their softwares. Anyway at least now they admit the importance of next gen format, and not sit on the fence like before.

Now I am just looking at X360 and thinking where the add on is going to sit. Maybe strap to the side ?

expletive said:
1. I dont think theres a TV now that can accept a 1080p signal, Sony's sure cant. Theres some convergence for ya eh?
2. Maybe they felt it was too expensive, maybe they felt it would only be a very small portion of the market that could use it in the next 5 years and wanted the console to be more affordable for more people in 3 years. Youll have to ask them. I know the power is not there to run 1080p with the grfx we expect at a decent framerate. i ahve no problem with 720p.
3. Devs on this forum are already backing off 1080p. Remember the original xbox supported 720p too and all we got out of it was dragon's lair 3d.
1) Theres one and more a comin' and it will be the standard in the future. Oh future-proof indeed!
2) What about HD video? Surely consumers could've used that. No framerate conflicts there. The fact they are now officially supporting HD-DVD with an add-on tells us it was rushed. I need no further proof that that. The proof is in the pudding, eh?
3) Nope. They already said, if Sony wants it, they'll get it.

expletive said:
No i dont think Vista will offer its full media center functionality to BR drives. Theyre already offering incentives to PC makers to make sure PCs get HD-DVD drives in them, theyre not gonna give it all back by giving BR full support.
They will when HD-DVD inevitably dies, not to mention the fact PC-makers generally support Blu-ray (HP isn't exclusive anymore, but Dell is).

expletive said:
While sony hands out money and candy to the masses! Huzzah! ;)
They aren't deliberately trying to sabotage a format with near-universal support because they're insecure about both the lead company behind it and their next-generation game console.
Edit; And that wasn't a pro-Sony sentiment, purely anti-MS practices. I know Sony does shit too, but who cares? This is about MS's anti-competitive practices.

Bad move in my opinion...

HD-DVD content is likely not to be there...

The unit most likely will not be used to play games because developers cannot depend on every X360 owner to have one...

You most likely will still be able to get a PS3 that plays Blue-Ray for less than an X360 + this external drive...

Sony developers can depend on PS3 owners to have Blue-Ray drives and thus can fully take advantage of the storage space that provides them...

It looks like a correction to a mistake about what should be in the X360 or at a mimimum is a nod that the 'other guy's' storage format is significant when MS has been trying to downplay it...

-------------------------

Personally if the games can't take advantage of the HD-DVD format's storage space it's a total waste of money. There's no way I'm buying it when I'll have a free Blue-Ray player in the PS3. (not free but way cheap considering what's attached to it.)

Just seems like a stupid move all around to me.

And again. What happens when the Xbox 360 owners buy this add-on if HD-DVD fails? Will MS release a Blu-ray add-on? While Xbox 360 owners buy both.

Nicked said:
1) Theres one and more a comin' and it will be the standard in the future. Oh future-proof indeed!
2) What about HD video? Surely consumers could've used that. No framerate conflicts there. The fact they are now officially supporting HD-DVD with an add-on tells us it was rushed. I need no further proof that that. The proof is in the pudding, eh?
3) Nope. They already said, if Sony wants it, they'll get it..

1. Again why dont you see what kind of graphics and framerate you get at 1080p before decding if the PS3 is 'future proof' for 1080p.
2. Everyone who buys a PS3 will pay for BR, yet not all of them will use it. Why should Sony care? Force everyone to pay for BR so they can chalk it up on their big "BR Installed Base" scorecard.
3. And? Theres no alien technology at work here. If sony demands 1080p theyll get wahtever eye-candy can be supported at that res, its a balanced equation. And wont it be grand for the 5% that own 1080p televisions who get to actually see what 1080p looks like while the rest live with an effect-starved product jsut so KK can tattoo 1080p across his chest.

Nicked said:
They will when HD-DVD inevitably dies, not to mention the fact PC-makers generally support Blu-ray (HP isn't exclusive anymore, but Dell is). .

Well then i guess Dell wont be selling a full featured version of Vista then will they? Remember, HP was exclusive once too...

Nicked said:
They aren't deliberately trying to sabotage a format with near-universal support because they're insecure about both the lead company behind it and their next-generation game console.
Edit; And that wasn't a pro-Sony sentiment, purely anti-MS practices. I know Sony does shit too, but who cares? This is about MS's anti-competitive practices.

No it IS about Sony too. MS does actually want HD-DVD to win, just so happens if it loses in 2-3 years from now, that works for them too. MS didnt force Sony to put a lot of their eggs in the BR basket, an unfinalized, un-commoditized (?),unlaunched, and uncertain (for either format that is) technology.

I think it's a stupid move because Microsoft is pinning their credibility and customer relations on a format that is, in all likelihood, going to die out very quickly. I'm fairly certain people won't be too happy when they own a $200+ paperweight sitting next to their 360.

mckmas8808 said:
And again. What happens when the Xbox 360 owners buy this add-on if HD-DVD fails? Will MS release a Blu-ray add-on? While Xbox 360 owners buy both.

And if BR fails? PS3 owners HAD to pay extra for it.

V3 said:
Hehehe :)

No I mean it'll fill in one of the concave part of the X360.

Why don't they just replace the scratchy DVD drive with this one. :) Is the current DVD drive hard to take out ? At least that's a user service. I mean... they should use the money to fix their stuff first before trying to confuse the market.

With that kind of good enough/patchy attitude they play on Windows, I really doubt MS will be able to extend their footprint to the living room. I am actually very close to dropping XB360 altogether. Nintendo and Sony are starting to look very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is worse then DVD Dreamcast movie player Sega had planned for 2001.

Microsoft, has now just shown how important HD movie playback is, the console market.

Sony's price announcement on PS3, will be spell curtains for Xbox 360's longevity in this arena.

real, real bad move on MS part on this. This just smacks of desperarity on there part.

Back