Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

Holy dumb move of the Century, MS is gonna burn themselves, it just makes me happy i didn't buy this system, just gonna wait for PS3.

you guys are funny :LOL:

how can offering another OPTION for playing movies (and opposing Blu-Ray at the same time) be a bad move for MS.

It's brilliant.

this is why Warren Buffet never invest in this company, it management make stupid decision again and again. This is just an example of it.

Tap In said:

how can offering another OPTION for playing movies (and opposing Blu-Ray at the same time) be a bad move for MS.

It's brilliant.

It's a dumb move, what's the point of Buying a add on, when i can just buy the HD-DVD player.

deathstar121 said:
It's a dumb move, what's the point of Buying a add on, when i can just buy the HD-DVD player.

it is not a player just the Drive

the X360 will be the player

hence cheaper than a stand alone player... how cheap is yet TBD.

Tap In said:

It's brilliant.

For some reason I doubt anybody would be making a fuss if this was a Blu-Ray add-on ;)

Tap In said:

It's brilliant.

You really need someone to spell it out? ;)

It could be a good thing, if the following conditions are true:

hd-dvd add-on is a lot cheaper than a stand alone hd-dvd player.

or hd-dvd add-on is marginally cheaper than stand alone player with the option to play future 360 games on it.

Otherwise, it's pointless.

Which also bring us to another question...which is what about HDMI?

I think this is a whole non-event. If its not for games, its no use. If it is for games, MS have shot themselves in the foot. Luckily, I assume its the former.

It does show MS rushed the console, but I don't think anyone is really going to care. Thats a gimme at this point.

Watch as this add-on fades into obscurity like the dozens of other unsuccessful ones.

Sony is probably having a little chuckle though ;-)

Nicked said:
I think this is a whole non-event. If its not for games, its no use. If it is for games, MS have shot themselves in the foot. Luckily, I assume its the former.

It does show MS rushed the console, but I don't think anyone is really going to care. Thats a gimme at this point.

Watch as this add-on fades into obscurity like the dozens of other unsuccessful ones.

Sony is probably having a little chuckle though ;-)

How does this show that MS rushed the console? If anything they were smart enough not to include HD-DVD standard since the majority wouldn't use it.

Sony is having far more than a chuckle about this. From Windows, to cheaper HD-DVD drives (compared to Blu-Ray) and now Xbox 360. MS and Toshiba have all their bases covered ;)

Not cheaper

Hardknock said:
cheaper HD-DVD drives (compared to Blu-Ray)

Normally very high introductory price is to get maximum profit from "exclusive" hifi type buyer and get "high-end" reputation for product so average consumer will want it so $500 price for HD-DVD is surprising for me and is like admitting product is inferior. Actual drive manufacture cost is very little for both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (same type technology for both) so only logic for low price maybe to get more sales not have most profit and reputation.

Hardknock said:
Sony is having far more than a chuckle about this. From Windows, to cheaper HD-DVD drives (compared to Blu-Ray) and now Xbox 360. MS and Toshiba have all their bases covered ;)

Sure. :LOL: So what percent of X360 owners do you really think will buy one?

Hardknock said:
How does this show that MS rushed the console? If anything they were smart enough not to include HD-DVD standard since the majority wouldn't use it.
The majority might've used it if they had've included it. Same with HDMI and 1080P output. Rushed, matey.

Hardknock said:
I'm sure Sony are shaking in their boots. They have Windows support for PCs where they will just write their own drivers and they have PC manufacturers who will ship BRD by default. Cheaper HD-DVD drives? Sure, but do you really think Sony and co. didn't have a clue?
Xbox360? Comeon, that isn't but a drop in the ocean. Its nowhere near as important (hint, nowhere is an understatement) as standard BRD in PS3.

Oh and Sony having support from all but 1 movie studio, most major CE manufacturers and the hip company Apple, they must be shaking. :)

Hardknock said:
For some reason I doubt anybody would be making a fuss if this was a Blu-Ray add-on ;)
Nothing stopping MS from releasing one in the future. Unless the 360 really can't do HDMI/HDCP. I thought HD-DVD needed HDCP so who knows?

Nicked said:
The majority might've used it if they had've included it. Same with HDMI and 1080P output. Rushed, matey.

I'm sure Sony are shaking in their boots. They have Windows support for PCs where they will just write their own drivers and they have PC manufacturers who will ship BRD by default. Cheaper HD-DVD drives? Sure, but do you really think Sony and co. didn't have a clue?
Xbox360? Comeon, that isn't but a drop in the ocean. Its nowhere near as important (hint, nowhere is an understatement) as standard BRD in PS3.

Oh and Sony having support from all but 1 movie studio, most major CE manufacturers and the hip company Apple, they must be shaking. :)

MS had every opportunity to support 1080p but chose nt to. Has nothing to do with rushed.

Just because they can get some drivers installed on a windows PC doesnt mean that BR will be supported in Vista via the UI the way HD-DVD will be, and in the end thats what really matters in that space.

And if you look at all this as a ploy to prolong the perception of a format war to the consumer, then its probably going to do its part.

Back