Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

patsu said:
Vista and HD-DVD install base is zero today. Both are not released yet... Who knows there may still be time for BRA to negotiate their way into Vista should they feel the need to. Also being a software solution, it means there'd always be patches/upgrades.

The other entry point is with the PC manufacturers like Dell, Sony and HP. They can pre-install additional bonuses on their PCs should they choose to.

I'm not trying to put you down, but think about it this way. Can Windows Media Player ever play Blu-Ray disk if I happen to get one as a gift ? Or do I have to launch a separate BR software player always ? What does that say about Windows' digital living room vision ?

Where Windows is concerned, MS is a platform player... not a vertical player like Apple.

Of course it can play a BR disc but the entire OS, features, interface, will be designed around HD-DVD. MS has been clear that they will use what leverage they have to support the format (HD-DVD) i see no reason why theyll stop now. Theyve drawn a line in the sand and they arent exactly a 'warm and fuzzy' company when it comes to business.

You have to understand that in this case, MS has a skin in the game on the HD optical format war, so Gates and Ballmer are gonna give BR a red carpet into their Vista/MCE space? I jsut dont see it. It has nothing to do with vertcal or platform player, those terms arent relevant here.

If it suits them in the future, theyll support it but ATM it doesnt suit them to propogate BR usage.

expletive said:
You have to understand that in this case, MS has a skin in the game on the HD optical format war, so Gates and Ballmer are gonna give BR a red carpet into their Vista/MCE space? I jsut dont see it. It has nothing to do with vertcal or platform player, those terms arent relevant here.

If it suits them in the future, theyll support it but ATM it doesnt suit them to propogate BR usage.

Dave described it quite nicely. HD-DVD support will be seamless with Vista/XP? However adding a Blu-Ray drive to a Vista machine will be no different than adding an internal CD-RW drive to an XP machine. Just plug in, install drivers and you're off.

The OEMs will be the ones benefitting from the inclusion of HD-DVD, but if Blu-Ray takes off, it wouldn't make sense for them to not suport BR.

They will support it, or at least they won't do anything to 'prevent' it from working.

However they'll use their clout to push HD-DVD into media PC's, and build HD-DVD into windows, that alone is a huge factor. Media Centre PC's are estimated to be selling around 50million/year by 2009 according to MS.

expletive said:
Of course it can play a BR disc but the entire OS, features, interface, will be designed around HD-DVD. MS has been clear that they will use what leverage they have to support the format (HD-DVD) i see no reason why theyll stop now. Theyve drawn a line in the sand and they arent exactly a 'warm and fuzzy' company when it comes to business.

As long as you get the point I was trying to make... the rest is up to you to interpret whichever way you want.

scooby_dooby said:
They will support it, or at least they won't do anything to 'prevent' it from working.

However they'll use their clout to push HD-DVD into media PC's, and build HD-DVD into windows, that alone is a huge factor. Media Centre PC's are estimated to be selling around 50million/year by 2009 according to MS.

Yeah but it's assured that Sony VAIO HTPC's will probably ship Blu-ray regardless, and Dell's might as well. HP is a wild card, they could swing either way, but for now I guess we can put them down as a powerful 'automatic' for HD-DVD HTPC's, and that will of course include then Compaq as well.

patsu said:
We will have to wait and see. The point is: BluRay Association can negotiate for bundling their core drivers and software into Vista (Whatever deem to be the basic BR user experiences) should they choose to.

As for other features you mentioned so far, it's part and parcel of the Windows user experiences. There are well-known APIs and registry values to do:
Plug and Vista take care of the rest, playing any disk pushed into a PC.
The Blu-Ray association can attempt to negoiate with MS for bundling into Vista, but MS doesn't have to accept them - both MS and Intel cited several technical reasons for their support of the format. But in no way does that mean the necessary software and support for Vista can't be coded up separately and installed by the end user and the OEM. However, if that is the case then Vista will not take care of it automatically, that software has to be written, installed and supported by other parties, and the associated costs of that soaked up by someone other than MS - as an example, to this day, Windows does not support DVD playback by default as MS do not provide an MPEG2 codec (not even with Media Center, and this it required to get the functionality of it) a 3rd party Codec (such as one of Intervideo or WinDVD) has to be installed to playback DVD's because MS don't want to pay the costs of the license nor officially support the Codec.

scooby_dooby said:

But what is stopping HP and DELL from throwing a Blu-ray player will their media PC's?

Dave Baumann said:
The Blu-Ray association can attempt to negoiate with MS for bundling into Vista, but MS doesn't have to accept them - both MS and Intel cited several technical reasons for their support of the format. But in no way does that mean the necessary software and support for Vista can't be coded up separately and installed by the end user and the OEM. However, if that is the case then Vista will not take care of it automatically, that software has to be written, installed and supported by other parties, and the associated costs of that soaked up by someone other than MS - as an example, to this day, Windows does not support DVD playback by default as MS do not provide an MPEG2 codec (not even with Media Center, and this it required to get the functionality of it) a 3rd party Codec (such as one of Intervideo or WinDVD) has to be installed to playback DVD's because MS don't want to pay the costs of the license nor officially support the Codec.

Well right, exactly. *That's* the level of barrier I see to Blu-ray on Vista, and it seems a minor one. There will be cost considerations to PC OEMs, and hassle considerations - maybe - for the consumer, but with Dell and Sony both prominent in the PC space I don't think that Blu-ray Vista PC's will be rare by any means. Not to mention with Apple to include Blu-ray, consumer may think that Blu-ray is 'cooler' to own.

IIRC, on the 'technical reasons' front with MS and Intel, I believe that was for Sony's lack of managed-copy commitment, which they have since announced will be present and supported.

The 360 is going to look like a Monkey f'ing a football with a HDDVD attached, kinda dumb if you ask me not like I really care what the console "looks" like but still.

mckmas8808 said:
But what is stopping HP and DELL from throwing a Blu-ray player will their media PC's?

nothing, but what do they really have to gain by going against MS? I have a hard time believing any of these companies will attempt to play hardball with MS over an optical disc format, why does HP or DELL really care?

It's one thing to join a commitee, and sign your name to an organization, it's another to risk your own company's wellbeing in process. They have no real vested interest, and I doubt they will make any moves against MS.

xbdestroya said:
...consumer may think that Blu-ray is 'cooler' to own.

I don't know if they'll think it'll be "cooler" to own, but they'll probably think it's the standard, which is the golden ticket for winning the format wars. Not to mention the technical specification will wow most consumers.

c0_re said:
The 360 is going to look like a Monkey f'ing a football with a HDDVD attached, kinda dumb if you ask me not like I really care what the console "looks" like but still.

this is my main concern. What will this BEAST look like? Will this be the heaviest console ever created? Will the be able to pull off a slick bottom insert that fill the concave? Will they slap in on the end, creating a 32" monster?? I need MOCKUPS!!!

scooby_dooby said:
nothing, but what do they really have to gain by going against MS? I have a hard time believing any of these companies will attempt to play hardball with MS over an optical disc format, why does HP or DELL really care?

It's one thing to join a commitee, and sign your name to an organization, it's another to risk your own company's wellbeing in process. They have no real vested interest, and I doubt they will make any moves against MS.

That's the thing. They are not going against MS. They had their space in Blu-ray before MS said anything. MS's the one going against them.

c0_re said:

It will definitely look odd, but I guess MS thought this would be the best way to include the support without shafting the early adopters. Will the position be fixed or will it just be a cord connected to the 360?

Yes MS is going against them, the question is will they fight back? And what do they have to gain by doing so? Or is it easier just to do what MS wants, and not create problems for themselves...

scooby_dooby said:
Yes MS is going against them, the question is will they fight back? And what do they have to gain by doing so? Or is it easier just to do what MS wants, and not create problems for themselves...

You make it sound like MS is the mafia :D How are they creating problems for themselves?

Dell, btw, is a very very vocal supporter of Blu-ray. Michael Dell was just out on stage with Stringer at CES talking it up. They don't sound like they're going to back down on it.

scooby_dooby said:

They will not fight back. What reason would they have to? Missing out on a magical coupon? OOooooo. I'm sure they will care. :rolleyes:

MS is the one going against the grain, most other OEMs seem to be pleased with where they are.

Titanio said:
Dell, btw, is a very very vocal supporter of Blu-ray. Michael Dell was just out on stage with Stringer at CES talking it up. They don't sound like they're going to back down on it.

Yah, Dell seems to be the biggest supporter outside of Sony.

Back