Last of Us [PS4]

The PS3 version already had better visuals in some places, but a lot of that was art-direction of course and not being open world. Some parts really felt next-gen at the time, for instance the building where the street in front turned into a pond, only being held back primarily by some pixel crawl and resolution issues. Now that we have had a few true next-gen games like Infamous particularly the lighting and shadowing won't stand up as well, but I am really curious what it will look and feel like (60fps after all)

yeah the art is fantastic in TLOU. Not just in the visual but also the art in storytelling combined with realtime gameplay. (ellie sulking on-gameplay have different animation and behavior compared to previous levels where she is happy, etc)

hopefully *illegal importers in my country will sell this game when i get back :D i have completed the PS3 version and im willing to play it again in PS4.

*we already got official support for PS4 from Sony but the official games is still lacking.

Pre-predered this from Amazon on Blu-ray - my third disc-based game after BF4 and KZ:SF.

TLoU is the kind of game I'll suddenly get the urge to play through every six months or so, but at a 50Gb install I'm not going to want to have it eating up a chunk of my HDD and this would be a 6+ hours download on my internet connection.

That IQ! :cool:

iHjMbJsTJKvyn.jpg

iSLLQI8TV9cLM.jpg

Naughty Dog :) you never stop to amaze me even with only a remaster :D

EDIT:
agh TLOU remaster release date is July 29... by the time i back to Indonesia in September the illegal game seller sure already out of stock :/

hopefully the PSN digital version got PS+ discount :D

Very good IQ indeed.

On PS3 they could only give us a cinematic touch. On PS4 they can now fully embrace the vision of a modern post apocalyptic painted comic book.

Guess i'll post some comparisons in this thread. First screen is ps3 second is ps4

The-Last-Of-Us-01.jpg

iba1YxPOkne1YU.jpg

Really hard to notice the cutscene model in this comparison. It almost looks the same here.

When you scale the 720p PS3 image to 1080p, the difference is easily noticeable.

I scaled the PS3 image with photoshop's 'bicubic automatic' setting. Probably better than the PS3's scaler.

jmayBajvmLRNd.jpg

As for Tess, as you can see from the other in-game images, Tess looks very close to the cut-scene model. The extreme closeups aren't good. Maybe it's a bug.

As for Tess, as you can see from the other in-game images, Tess looks very close to the cut-scene model. The extreme closeups aren't good. Maybe it's a bug.
I doubt its a bug. Its common in pretty much any game you play.
Even in Infamous Second Son there is a discrepancy between the cut scene and gameplay model, mostly in the lighting. I tried close up captures of Delsin and he never looked as good as the cut scene although close. Its always the shaders and lighting that appear simplified.
As for the in game models between PS3 and PS4 I dont see the expected difference. I was expecting cut scene quality

I doubt its a bug. Its common in pretty much any game you play.
Even in Infamous Second Son there is a discrepancy between the cut scene and gameplay model, mostly in the lighting. I tried close up captures of Delsin and he never looked as good as the cut scene although close. Its always the shaders and lighting that appear simplified.
As for the in game models between PS3 and PS4 I dont see the expected difference. I was expecting cut scene quality
Again, the other in-game screenshot looks very close to the cut-scene model... it's only on extreme close-ups that look bad. This is also in-game:
iVZl4YiDc7F5B.jpg

TLoU:R' character models are supposed to resemble the quality of PS3 cutscene models.
jbgoK6gv8AOotS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Again, the other in-game screenshot looks very close to the cut-scene model... it's only on extreme close-ups that look bad. This is also in-game:
iVZl4YiDc7F5B.jpg

Need to see more examples. An image of a model captured farther hides the discrepancies.

Biggest defference in cutscenes, is the use of incredibly hand-tweaked lighting, made possible by a completely known and predictable coreography and camera angles. You can't have that on interactive segmentes, hence lighting is more physically correct, which usually also means, less dramatic and interesting looking. Someday someone might create a dynamic system that authors "cinematic" like -fake- lighting procedurally around important characters and other elements of the scene during gameplay, but that's not a trivial problem.

iVZl4YiDc7F5B.jpg

TLoU:R' character models are supposed to resemble the quality of PS3 cutscene models.
jbgoK6gv8AOotS.jpg

The models look exact... the lighting and shadowing is obviously different. But that's expected... one uses real-time in-game lighting elements, while the other uses a more controlled lighting system for dramatic presentation in the pre-rendered scenes.

Edit: Milk explanation hits on the head...

When you scale the 720p PS3 image to 1080p, the difference is easily noticeable.

I scaled the PS3 image with photoshop's 'bicubic automatic' setting. Probably better than the PS3's scaler.

jmayBajvmLRNd.jpg

Joel looks like a crack-head zombie in the PS3 pic...

Last edited by a moderator:
the cut-scene models are not in the real tme gameplay. ND has always said "higher resolution character models" meaning probably higher than PS3 LOD models, but not cutscene, which i'm guessing would take a rejiggering of the game engine to get good performance. Something probably not worth it with a remaster worked on by just under 30 people in just about 12 months.

Back