Kojima Jumps In: MGS4 Coming to the Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article is about multiplatform strategy in general, and the article is written as an editorial, not as a news piece. They're simply quoting various producers from different third party publishers from previous interviews to cite their positions on multiplatform strategy.

From OP from that link.

From OP from that link.

You're right. But he edited that before this translation for example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13219671&postcount=247

Who knows if the translation is correct. But

"There has been a lot of desire for an Xbox 360 release of MGS4, and we are positively investigating the possibility." (Konami PR)

http://www.gamefront.de/ (the site which had the japanese Yahoo! page http://charge.biz.yahoo.co.jp/vip/news/kab/081014/081014_mbiz215.html as news) is claiming a very similar translation.

So who knows. Maybe someone over here is able to translate the important parts correctly if it isn't already translated correctly.

FYI, the original post was an April Fools Joke laced with a fair number of associations that were true at the time or speculations that I thought would come true. So please don't flame me for title ;) It is interesting because at the time the PS3 was losing a lot of exclusives that many strenuously argued would NEVER see the light of day on a non-Playstation console.

As of today I don't think many people would argue any non-Sony controlled IP couldn't potentially find itself on the 360 or Wii.

@ Nesh: It will never end! Next up: Bungie's new internal IP... is it PS3 bound? 0_o

That just seemed to be funny, because you wrote that last year and now it actually has become true that Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion and Final Fantasy XIII are no longer PS3 exclusives and will be released on Xbox 360, too.

And most people just remember my flubs :LOL: Seriously, though, I think the faux news article I wrote spells out why that conjecture--while nice to see it came true--wasn't really much of a surprise: look at all the former 3rd party PS exclusive defect. I find it more surprising that MGS4 didn't defect by this time, shocking even. On the other hand a handful of us took a lot of heat over the above suggestions before it was "cool" to conjecture such based on sales and indications of market shift, so in that regards it is interesting :smile:

I find it more surprising that MGS4 didn't defect by this time, shocking even.

Yeah me too, I'm surprised it hasn't transitioned over yet. The game by its design has already been split into parts given that each act needs an install on PS3. In other words, the game is already nicely partitioned, so splitting it on multiple discs is relatively easy. My only guess is that they want to milk PS3 sales through the holiday season, then they can let the cat out of the bag after that. Or perhaps they are holding out for a nice, ummm, "support payment" from Microsoft.

Then again, maybe Konami really doesn't want an additional 3+ million in sales. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

Yeah me too, I'm surprised it hasn't transitioned over yet. The game by its design has already been split into parts given that each act needs an install on PS3. In other words, the game is already nicely partitioned, so splitting it on multiple discs is relatively easy. My only guess is that they want to milk PS3 sales through the holiday season, then they can let the cat out of the bag after that. Or perhaps they are holding out for a nice, ummm, "support payment" from Microsoft.

Then again, maybe Konami really doesn't want an additional 3+ million in sales. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

Well, the perfect strategy for Konami is to hit 2009 because they can maximize PS3 sales in 2008 as well as work on the port, get it up to speed, and offer up some new compelling content, notably online, to make it feel fresh and worthy of generating interest. This strategy isn't unknown, either, in making a delayed port with extra content that appeals to the new platform. 3M may be a little high, but a MGS4 port with a strong online component would easily justify the port imo.

Btw, are you gonna Gears up on the 7th? You should add me to your friend's list so I can use you as a meat shield ;)

I would be more suprised if it didnt turn up on the 360 at some point than it was kept a PS3 exclusive.

Has mgs4 been out for 6 months yet ? I wouldn't be suprised if we see a 1 year excsluvie and hear about a port after the holiday. Dunno if it will happen but thats the way it would make the most sense to me.

There may be the per-disc royalty discussion, if there's any truth to that. Considering the installs, would MGS4 be a 5-disc game? Also, I suspect 3+ million is by far overstated.

Has mgs4 been out for 6 months yet ? I wouldn't be suprised if we see a 1 year excsluvie and hear about a port after the holiday. Dunno if it will happen but thats the way it would make the most sense to me.

There's also the possibility of the Subsistence-type director's cut going multiplat.

Also, I suspect 3+ million is by far overstated.

I dunno, check this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#Xbox_360

There are many 2+ million sellers there, including some games that had no previous fanbase like Saints Row, Bioshock and Assasins Creed. I'd think that an established brand with a big following like Metal Gear would sell really well.

On a side note, I almost spit coke from my nose when I read there that Nintendogs DS sold 18.67 million...

I dunno, check this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#Xbox_360

There are many 2+ million sellers there, including some games that had no previous fanbase like Saints Row, Bioshock and Assasins Creed. I'd think that an established brand with a big following like Metal Gear would sell really well.

On a side note, I almost spit coke from my nose when I read there that Nintendogs DS sold 18.67 million...

On a side note of my own, some of that seems wrong. Activision said CoD4 sold 10 million, but only at 3 million for 360. Should be a lot more.

But still, not that many 3+ million sellers if you go by those numbers, and generally do games get a huge upswing in interest 6+ months after release? It doesn't seem to be the case. Of course, it'd depend on timing. If they released it today, after the price cut, for this holiday season, to compete against the PS3 version I think it'd do very well. Still not 3 million, though. If they release it, say, a year after the PS3 version? I'd guess a lot less.

Titles that are release a year later on another platform usually do not sell better then the initial platform that it was on. RE4 is one of the few exception because the PS2 has a 5:1 install base ratio compare to the GC. The 360 isn't even 2:1 to the PS3.

I believe Konami has already shipped 4 million copies of MGS4 worldwide on PS3 now. So while we don't know how many of them are sold to consumer we can base it around 3-4 million.

MGS4 on 360 would have to compete against the 2009 titles. Most people would have said MGS4 is old news by then. So there wouldn't be much hype about it. I'm guessing it will do 1 million on 360. But 3 million is a far stretch.

Well, the perfect strategy for Konami is to hit 2009 because they can maximize PS3 sales in 2008 as well as work on the port, get it up to speed, and offer up some new compelling content, notably online, to make it feel fresh and worthy of generating interest. This strategy isn't unknown, either, in making a delayed port with extra content that appeals to the new platform.
It's actually a necessity. No platform owner would cert 1yo title without bringing something new (content) into the table.

On a side note of my own, some of that seems wrong. Activision said CoD4 sold 10 million, but only at 3 million for 360. Should be a lot more.

It sold 3M on 360 last year in US only and it's over 4M in that country alone by now.

3M+ sales of late port is rather impossible. As other people noted conversion rarely do all that well.

I;m pretty sure Konami execs regret not going multiplatform with MGS4. They probably look at sales of multiplatform titles like COD4, AC and compare them to those of MGS4 and realize their game had press coverage/critical acclaim/advertising at least extensive/good/big, so it had potential to achieve so much more with multiplatform release.
Though shipping 4M copies is still not too shabby.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back