Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

I also had quite a few bugs. Disappearing ground, enemies being stretched out, my character teleporting to the side of the screen, and audio bugs. Apparently the demo build is 3 months old, and many things have already been fixed in the full game. We'll see how that turns out I guess.

They are also gathering feedback on their forums about the game camera, without going as far as promising a patch. The way it works now is that the game will always take control of it back after 4 seconds. The intention being that the game always show the best possible angle without the player controlling. Of course if you're used to controlling it manually, your going end up constantly fighting it.
If they just give an option to switch that off, and zoom out more often, it'll probably be fine.

The camera was my biggest gripe beyond bugs. It's as if it weighs a ton, and swinging it round it carries too much inertia rendering it uncontrollable. I set the speed to near minimum and constantly used camera control, although it did mess me about a little. Surely having camera on right stick constantly implies its expected to see constant use? Otherwise why not put dodge or similar on the right stick?

Yeah, I was a bit miffed to see that clicking the right stick doesn't reset the camera like in some games (Ninja Gaiden? I can't remember)

Yeah, I was a bit miffed to see that clicking the right stick doesn't reset the camera like in some games (Ninja Gaiden? I can't remember)

Apparently it does reset the camera if you're moving, if you're standing still it just zooms in. Haven't tried it out myself yet but that's what I heard.

The fact my character didn't speak felt really odd.

I agree. Somehow you are always the most important person in the world, yet you can't even talk. Whenever something dramatic happens in the story, all you can do is stare at it. I don't like playing as somebody who is basically nobody.

Three months old? I guess we will have to wait and see for sure..

EA even had it outsourced, so creating the demo didn't take time away from finishing up the game.

Apparently it does reset the camera if you're moving, if you're standing still it just zooms in. Haven't tried it out myself yet but that's what I heard.
Only via glitching I think. R-click resets the camera position to zoom in, and then when you move it zooms back out. The lack of camera reset was an oddity that caught me by surprise too, with no option to turn off auto camera. In Dungeon Siege 3 I was happy disabling the camera and handling it manually.

I never noticed any problems with the camera, but I was moving the camera almost constantly. I tend to do that in these games.

Anyone who thinks that combat is bad and not deep, should just watch last minute of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvs6F4GdccY

For me camera was awesome, definitely better than in DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but i've played on mouse and keyboard. My only problem with camera is that default is really close to character, but in combat is quite nice.
Just watch my gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0QekAXQvb0&hd=1&t=210

I really hadn't seen any pics or watched any vids of this game before playing, so everything was a surprise to me in the demo. Had a lot of fun with it. Watching that combat video makes me want the game even more.

For me camera was awesome, definitely better than in DMC or Ninja Gaiden, but i've played on mouse and keyboard. My only problem with camera is that default is really close to character, but in combat is quite nice.
There was no option to change camera distance on PS3.

Regards the game looking to me like an MMO, I've read that there's an MMO in the same world being made, so that explains that one. Get people into the offline solo game, and then lead them onto the MMO.

I'm pretty sure this is both a way to get incomes and to test reception for the upcoming MMORPG.
And I knew that before trying the demo, so I expected/feared MMORPG (lack of) gameplay.

I'm pretty sure this is both a way to get incomes and to test reception for the upcoming MMORPG.
And I knew that before trying the demo, so I expected/feared MMORPG (lack of) gameplay.

Any mmorpg that plays like that would be tough to say no to.

That's true, but also could it be done? MMOs can suffer terribly from lag, I thought. It also explains why this game has no coop and there's none intended. "Like KoA:Reckoning? Want to play it with your friends? Subscribe to our MMO!"

That's true, but also could it be done? MMOs can suffer terribly from lag, I thought. It also explains why this game has no coop and there's none intended. "Like KoA:Reckoning? Want to play it with your friends? Subscribe to our MMO!"

To be honest, I'd prefer a version with 2-4 player co-op than mmo.

If you think MMORPG can't have solid combat, you may want to have a look at both Tera and Guild Wars 2.
(First released, second expected before summer.)

As I said, the demo is lacking something to make it worth my time. (Your mileage might vary, of course.)

On another note, it is *beyond* me why most people consider that MMOG have the right to be shitty compared to solo/MP games...

To be honest, I'd prefer a version with 2-4 player co-op than mmo.

Sounds like TorchLight 2 ;)

If you think MMORPG can't have solid combat, you may want to have a look at both Tera and Guild Wars 2.
(First released, second expected before summer.)

As I said, the demo is lacking something to make it worth my time. (Your mileage might vary, of course.)

On another note, it is *beyond* me why most people consider that MMOG have the right to be shitty compared to solo/MP games...

Sounds like TorchLight 2 ;)

Torchlight 2 is still going to be of the point and click variety, right?

I have to agree with you that Kingdoms of Amalur is missing a hook. I think mostly it's the atmosphere, setting, story in general. It all seems very generic fantasy stuff. In terms of gameplay and RPG elements, it has absolutely everything I want. I think it looks fun as hell, in terms of gameplay, weapon drops and character customization. Playing the tutorial section, I wasn't that hooked into it, but once I leveled my guy up and started looking at all of the options, started exploring and getting items, I knew it was the game for me. Also, seeing the combat vids have only solidified my interest in the game.

The reason I don't play mmorpgs if firstly the price and secondly the ass gameplay. Guild Wars 2 looks promising, but it still doesn't have the control that this game offers, at least not as far as I could tell from watching previews.

Played lots of GW1, but the PC style pointy-clicky interface is very difference from the consoley experience that KoA:R is offering. Is that different with GW2 and you can hook up a controller for realtime combat? If the MMO version of this game played the same way, it'd potentially be very good IMO

Back