E3 Winners, Loosers & Suprises

wipeout fusion can have slowdoens at times, especially when u can see a very big part of the *city* underneath in one of the tracks, when u make the big jump.... u know which one i mean? it's the third version of the first track... looks amazing...
it also has BAAAAD slowdowns sometimes when using the QUAKE weapon...

personally i could not play it further than a certain level, the AI gets too hard and winning is more like PURE LUCK rather than how good u r... or maybe that's just me being CRAP at the game... :LOL:

Tagrineth said:
Phil said:
Well, that's true in a way - but the added weapons make it way more challenging. Besides, the game is not dependend on weapons, as you can disable them and race it for pure speed and skill. It's very hard though, as the AI is damn good and you need to race near perfect to catch up with them (because you always start from the last position). Besides, the board computer actually warns you if a contender has a lock on you and is ready to fire off - so, with the necessary skill, you can try to counter those attacks. Still though, with the online challenge and for the really skill-orianted players, you can disable weapons.

Besides, disabling weapons has one advantage: no slowdowns at all. IMO, thanks to the very challenging gameplay and zone-mode - it's the best wipeout in the series.

And once you disable weapons, it basically becomes an F-Zero X clone. =)

F-Zero X doesn't have any slowdowns either.

How many vehicles on the track at a time in WO Fusion?

16 ships. Most players play WipEout though because, well, it's WipEout!! Regardless of the influence F-Zero had on the first Wipeout games, I believe the Wipeout games enjoy quite a name and is by far the most successful one in its category.

BTW; in F-Zero - how do you best race around the curves? Do you use air-brakes (left/right) or just by normal airbrakes?

Phil said:
16 ships. Most players play WipEout though because, well, it's WipEout!! Regardless of the influence F-Zero had on the first Wipeout games, I believe the Wipeout games enjoy quite a name and is by far the most successful one in its category.

BTW; in F-Zero - how do you best race around the curves? Do you use air-brakes (left/right) or just by normal airbrakes?

F-Zero X (and soon F-Zero GX) have 30 vehicles per race.

And for turning... F-Zero X has only one "brake" control, and bank left/right for tight turning. Banking left and right tends to slow you down when turning... so I'd liken it to air brakes.

Er... wait. Now that I think about it... does FZX even have a dedicated brake? I don't think it does, TBH... but then again, with the banking, there's rarely a need to hit the brakes...

london-boy said:
wipeout fusion can have slowdoens at times, especially when u can see a very big part of the *city* underneath in one of the tracks, when u make the big jump.... u know which one i mean? it's the third version of the first track... looks amazing...
it also has BAAAAD slowdowns sometimes when using the QUAKE weapon...

personally i could not play it further than a certain level, the AI gets too hard and winning is more like PURE LUCK rather than how good u r... or maybe that's just me being CRAP at the game...

Hehe, you suck. I was ranked among the best 53 (international) for some time in zone-mode first-stage. Hehe, well, you just need a lot of practise and you need to know the stages by heart. Once you've mastered the ships and stages, it will get easier from there. It takes A LOT of time though... I think the difficulty actually made this quite hardcore - but it suited me fine as I love good challenges. :D

Tagrineth said:
F-Zero X (and soon F-Zero GX) have 30 vehicles per race.

And for turning... F-Zero X has only one "brake" control, and bank left/right for tight turning. Banking left and right tends to slow you down when turning... so I'd liken it to air brakes.

Er... wait. Now that I think about it... does FZX even have a dedicated brake? I don't think it does, TBH... but then again, with the banking, there's rarely a need to hit the brakes...

I think the physics is one of the reason which made WipEout so successfull. It really takes time to get used to it, as you have to use the appropriate breaks to get through the curves at a very highspeed. It's like drifting through basically. It's not the speed alone really. As for the 30 ships - as impressive as it sounds, I think 16 is already the upper limit as you'll rarely see all ships all at once unless the AI is flawed (i.e. previous Gran Turismo's). 30 ships IMO sounds insane really...

If I ever get a Cube though, I'll definately get the F-Zero game for sure (along with Metroid). Tag, if you have a PS2 - get Fusion. It takes time to get into and it has some flaws (ugly ships, some slowdowns in certain stages) but apart of them, it has some of the most beautiful tracks, gorgeous graphics, tough and very challenging AI, great physics, challenging online challenge and the an incredible electronica soundtrack.

Phil said:
I think the physics is one of the reason which made WipEout so successfull. It really takes time to get used to it, as you have to use the appropriate breaks to get through the curves at a very highspeed. It's like drifting through basically. It's not the speed alone really. As for the 30 ships - as impressive as it sounds, I think 16 is already the upper limit as you'll rarely see all ships all at once unless the AI is flawed (i.e. previous Gran Turismo's). 30 ships IMO sounds insane really...

F-Zero X has very good collision physics.

And the 30 ships thing is mostly to make sure that no matter where you are (except out front, of course!) you'll have a good fight for positions. =)

But of course, you do very rarely see all 30, except at the start of a race, or at points where you can see other parts of the track =)

If I ever get a Cube though, I'll definately get the F-Zero game for sure (along with Metroid). Tag, if you have a PS2 - get Fusion. It takes time to get into and it has some flaws (ugly ships, some slowdowns in certain stages) but apart of them, it has some of the most beautiful tracks, gorgeous graphics, tough and very challenging AI, great physics, challenging online challenge and the an incredible electronica soundtrack.

I'm going to find the original Wipeout for Saturn first (and maybe also PSX; I hear it traded some graphics for a better frame rate)... and try some other WO's before I buy any of them. Keep in mind my limited budget =)

Oh, and you speak of intelligent AI? F-Zero X can get extremely hard as well; as far as I know, in order to win Master races you have to take huge risks, ramming opponents to take them out of the race (so they don't get points ;))

PC-Engine said:
I've played both.

WipeOut is like SEGA GT

FZero is like Daytona

I have the PowerVR version of WipeOut for the Videologic Apocalypse 3dx for PC. 8)

Daytone for DC????

It sucked big time!!! I am angry with myself that I bought that game based on the review by dc.ign.com....it got 9.4???

Back