E3 Winners, Loosers & Suprises

DemoCoder said:
I just don't see what people think is so great about F-Zero. Looks like pretty lame gameplay to me.

It's probably the best in its class. People simply like racing games, whether it's cars, boats, whatever and i don't see that ever changing. Also I've never met one person who has played F-Zero and not like it.

DemoCoder

If you don't like futuristic racers then fine, but who are you to tell someone it shouldn't be their GOTS? If someone loves futuristic racers then of course F-Zero could be there GOTS. Frankly I couldn't give a crap about Halo 2, Halo never interested me much and neither does Halo 2. As impossible as this may be for you to hear there are other people who feel the same way (although not neccesarilly Goldni of course). But if you think it was GOTS then fine, I have no problem with that. Just stop trying to force your likes and dislikes on other people.

Quincy, I don't need you to tell me to relax man, I am relaxed. I don't know why you'd even make such a comment, its totally unnecessary.

HL2 is hands down GOTS for me, nothing else is really close. Halo2 lookd promising, but it just seems to be stuck in the little league along with Doom3 in comparison to HL2. Everyone else pushes graphics, waits for Valve to rewrite the gameplay book on FPSs and then copies ;)

FZero I didn't see much of from E3. Very much looking forward to the title though. For anyone wondering why people like FZ so much, it's fast. Very, very, fast. It's not like your putting along in a F1 car, the games speed changes the gameplay mechanics in relation to the other futuristic racers, and it eliminates weapons. QuantumReshift is pokey compared to FZX(the N64 game). Wipeout is a wannabe with weapons, EG isn't close. Despite my enormous wanting of HL2, odds are when all is said and done I'll have a lot more hours logged on FZero then it, or Halo2 or Doom3.

Disappointed I didn't get a chance to see more on KOTOR. Really looking forward to that one too. Rare also let me down.

My impressions of E3:

In my opinion, E3 had lots of suprises in stock for me, although also a few disappointments. Being a PS2 advocat, I was pleasently suprised with the much awaited sequels MGS3 and Gran Turismo 4. While Gran Turismo 4 left me impressed with the staggering detail and realism once more, MGS3 simply blew me away with it's presentation and marvelous artwork. Both MGS3 and Gran Turismo 4 went over my expectations in that regard.

E3 also left me with a few disappointments though: Where was Jak II? Jak II is probably my most awaited game and I was left quite disappointed as there was nothing new to this sequal. The only thing I found was a two part video posted at IGN. At least that.

Another game that I was expecting but didn't show up is Final Fantasy XII. Turning into a big fan of the series after having played VII and X, I was looking forward to something new on the sequel. Guess at TGS hopefully.

A other game which did not show up was a sequel to WipEout Fusion by Studio Liverpool. I know nothing was confirmed, but I here I was hoping. CyGirls and Tomb Raider were also quite disappointing. Both looked quite bad from what I saw on the videos I downloaded.

Going on to other platforms, I must say that Doom 3 and Half Life 2 did not fail to impress. Between the two, I must say that Half-Life 2 has the slight edge to me, especially considering what kind of a game it will possibly turn out. Halo 2, sorry to say, is one of the disappointments - well, to me at least. After seeing those high-res screens of masterchief, I was expecting something that rivals Doom 3 in graphics, yet what I ended up seeing was everything but that. It does impress once you consider the amount of action going on, but I am one of those players who'd gladly take a better framerate in subsitute of some less shinier graphics. Halo was already quite unexeptable for me in that regard and sadly, part 2 doesn't seem to improve much in that area, so I guess I might pass this up. There's still some time until the game ships, so maybe I'll change my mind depending how it shapes up from here. F-Zero on the other hand is one of the impressive games. Framerate is top-notch, so after seeing Metroid in store already that was mighty impressive - I might just be one of those future Cube users. ;)

Apart from that: where was Project Gotham Racing 2? Mario 128?

So finally, here's my summary:

Previous most anticipated Game at the Show:
- Jak II.
- Final Fantasy XII in a close second, GT4/MGS3 in a very close battle between 3rd and 4th.

Game-Of-The-Show:
- Metal Gear Solid 3: Gran Turismo 4 was good, but this trailer wowed me. The artwork and just everything about the game is mighty impressive and put me in a state of excitement not last experienced since watching the MGS2 trailer for the first time. Kojima, you've done it again!

Runner-Up:
- Gran Turismo 4.

Biggest Disappointment:
- the lack of FFXII.

I'm not going to defend the way democoder oringinally posted in this thread, but I don't think you should take a similar approach he took.

hey Phil, did you go to the show or are you basing this off videos from the net? The reason I'm asking this is because PGR 2 was actually at the show and MS was holidng competitions with it.

Qroach:

No, sadly I didn't - so I am left with basing most of my impressions on crappy videos. :(
Seeing though that I am hoping to get into game-development in a few years, I just might be able to make it down to LA when Sony holds their first showing with PS3 and Microsoft with Xbox 2. :D

Good news that PGR2 was there.. guess I will search the net for some nice videos. :)

BTW: Damn you people who were at the show. I am sooo jealous! :devilish: :LOL:

Halo 2 was game of the show for me. Doom 3 also looked really cool. I thought that Half Life 2 was really good, but it seemed kind of empty after watching the Halo 2 demo. There really isn't that much going on in that game other than some neat physics experiments.

Ninja Gaiden really wowed me, but it will all depend how easy it is to control and realize those amazing action sequences. Same goes for Prince of Persia which looks very smooth and true to the original.

On the racing front, I prefered Project Gotham 2 to Gran Turismo 4. In game they both seem graphically on par to me, with each doing a little better than the other in various areas. I prefer the Kudos system, analog gas/brake, and audio ripping of PGR2 to the mechanics/sim approach of GT4, but they're both amazing games. Fzero GX also looked pretty cool and it seems as though each platform has their racer of the year locked down.

I was a bit suprised how well Crimson Skies has turned out and it looks like a really worthy addition to the Xbox lineup this fall. Fable looked good, but I have to admit that I'm still a little worried that this ambitious project is going to fall flat on its face. Hopefully it'll turn out ok.

PSP announcement was not really a suprise to me, but it was a good move by Sony and potentially bad for Nintendo a few years down the road.

Rare's showing was only average IMO. Grabbed by the Ghoulies seemed pretty neat and I've always loved Kameo. I never got to play Conker, so it's great that it's the same game for me. Others might be dissappointed though. I think that of Rare's eight teams, it wouldn't surprise me if at least three of them are working on Xbox 2 launch titles. The other two are probably working on the last of the five Xbox games we'll be getting later. Most likely Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie. After playing Starfox Adventures though, I've realized that you can't get a good sense of Rare's games by just playing snippets. That game was way more than the some of its parts, which weren't necessarily that amazing. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Nintendo had a really bad show. I don't think they have what it takes to compete this fall. They're in for a rough ride. Nothing they showed has even the potential to move hardware at $149. Maybe RE4 will get PS2 people interested in a second console for $99, but that might not even ship this year. I get the impression that internally Nintendo has shifted most development to Gamecube 2 and plans to rely on third parties to carry the Cube for the next couple of years. They have some big sellers though that will appease the existing userbase, like MGS, RS3, Pikmin 2, and FZero GX. They're definitely going to need to drop price to at least $129 this fall to even have a chance.

Phil, Jak 2 and PGR2 were both playable on the show. Check out Gamespot for hands on previews on both games. I think they really liked both of them.

GT4 had me more excited more than I expected for one reason - the new wheel. That thing looks really awesome. Finally a wheel that can be rotated in full circles like the wheels in real cars! Also, force feedback is even better than it was in GT3.

Teasy said:
DemoCoder

If you don't like futuristic racers then fine, but who are you to tell someone it shouldn't be their GOTS? If someone loves futuristic racers then of course F-Zero could be there GOTS. Frankly I couldn't give a crap about Halo 2, Halo never interested me much and neither does Halo 2. As impossible as this may be for you to hear there are other people who feel the same way (although not neccesarilly Goldni of course). But if you think it was GOTS then fine, I have no problem with that. Just stop trying to force your likes and dislikes on other people.

I never said Halo2 was GOTS. I think that clearly goes to Half Life 2. And frankly, I can have any opinion I want. If I think your tastes suck, that's my opinion. I personally find arcade racers boring, but tube racers are just a further step below into the gutter.

I guess next year, GOTS will be Arkanoid GX or Space Invaders GX, or some other suped up 8-bit title with repetitive and uninspired gameplay.

I haven't decided on my GOTS yet. But I'll give some impressions on the show anyway.

Nintendo had a good show as a publisher and console maker, but a pretty crappy show as a developer. Here's my view on some of the GC exclusives shown:

Viewtiful Joe

ccgcneventvj02.jpg

This was probably the biggest suprise for GC. It looks like its going to be a brilliant game, no just ok but really brilliant, a big hit.

F-Zero GX

fzerogx_051403_gcn_in01.jpg

This game looks absolutely awesome. Delivering everything I wanted from an F-Zero game times 10. The controls are perfect, the speed is frightening and the visuals are just incredible, especially at a totally solid and blistering 60fps.

Res Evil 4

re4_e3trailer_051303_gcn.jpg

Not to much was shown of Res Evil 4, but what was shown looked truely fantastic. The character models, the lighting, the fabric physics were all wonderful, and all realtime 3d. If Capcom have improved the control scheme over past Res Evil games then this will be massive. This will sell consols big time!

Rebel Strike

Forest.jpg

What can I say, the game's visuals are brilliant, the sort of visuals we've come to expect from the guys at Factor 5. I like the fact that the game doesn't stick to air combat. The forest scene's look particularly great. Although the animation for the third person characters needs to be refined.

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

mgs_twinsnakes_7.jpg

Well I'm not a massive fan of the MGS games. But I am looking forward to this. Silicon Knights are extremely talented, so I'm definitely interested in this. Also this is important for GC, to have an exclusive MGS game.

Geist

nintendoconf_051403_085.jpg

I like the look of this game. Its a very interesting concept, and even though its early I think it still looked excellent. the only problem I have with it is.. why did they change the name from Fear to Giest?? Fear sounded soooooo much better.

I don't see why people are bashing Mario Kart and Pikmin 2 so much.

Even if they're not complete overhauls of the previous games in their series (which is essentially what lots of people want for some reason, even though that defeats the point of a sequel..) they look very fun. I gotta say that I fear Geist though.

It looks like it could be awesome, but it all depends on how much Nintendo themselves are involved.

Game of Show- Half-life 2, no question. Doom 3 looked better, and Halo 2 looked more "cinematic", but HL2's gameplay elements have got me enthralled.

Developer of Show- Konami. Capcom also had an awesome showing. Not my two favourite developers, but it looks like they're both goig to have a hell of a year.

Suprise of Show- Hmm. Beyond Good&Evil was a game that I had been interested in, but from what I saw of it this year it's a must-buy. Resident Evil 4 looks fantastic as well, I can't wait for that game.

Developer Disappointment of Show- *tie* Nintendo for a predictable, franchise- and sequel-heavy showing. Aside from Pikmin 2 (no time limits!) and Twin Snakes I don't see myself buying many first- and second-party Cube games this year. And Sega, where were you?

Game Disappointment of Show- As far as announcments go, Final Fantasy XI being pushed into 2004 by Sony's decision not to release the hard drive until then. Sony, no one wants Everquest Adventures, it's awful, don't you get that by now? Actual disappointing games? Star Fox. Looks like ass, total ass. I hope Nintendo gets Namco on track before this game gets released.

PC-Engine said:
Also I've never met one person who has played F-Zero and not like it.

I used to play F-Zero X with my college roomates, and didn't really care for it too much. Give me Wipeout any day.

F-Zero "GoS" at E3 2003? That's an opinion, but I think that's laughable.

WipeOut is a clone of F-Zero with weapons thrown in, and isn't as fast, either... not to bash WO, it's still a good series, but F-Zero X beats them all. I'd rather RACE. You can still attack the other vehicles in F-Zero X, it's just very risky and takes a lot of skill to use effectively. :) I like that more than "yes! I'm about to win! Almost... almost... *BOOM!* WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!" and you lose because your opponent got lucky and pulled up a homing missile or something.

It isn't luck, it's skill. Wipeout has an added depth because of the variety of weapons you can use. Although for the record I thought Fusion was pretty mediocre, Wipeout XL is to this day my pick for best futuristic racer.

F-zero is also totally without style, and graphically was an embarassment on the n64 :cry:

Back