Just Cause 2

Wow utterly impressive water, DOF, detail... and everything else. PC version sure looks mighty! :oops:

Wow utterly impressive water, DOF, detail... and everything else. PC version sure looks mighty! :oops:

Meh, just makes the water hitting the shore more broken and jarring. When are devs going to learn, that the shore water interaction is important and that until they fix that, there is little point in trying to make the water itself more realistic.

Nah that is ignorant as the shores is but only a small part and besides it looks alright. I mean would you then rather have flat water with 'fake' 2D shore wave textures rolling in instead?

Nah that is ignorant as the shores is but only a small part and besides it looks alright. I mean would you then rather have flat water with 'fake' 2D shore wave textures rolling in instead?

doesn't matter what they have if the interaction with the shore makes it scream fake. It the little things that matter more for immersion than the big things sometimes.

I can't wait to see hackers make the Nvidia only effects run nicely on ATi cards, assuming they are not PhysX based (water). As for the ocean simulation, the big problem with shore interaction is a realistic wave system that actually is parallel to the shore line, washing up on it realistically and waves realistically combine in large water channels where wind takes more control of the wave action.

Crysis had FFT generated ocean waves and rather nice textured shore interaction, all without the need to use some closed compute API. :rolleyes:

doesn't matter what they have if the interaction with the shore makes it scream fake. It the little things that matter more for immersion than the big things sometimes.

What screams fake for me is 2D water with 2D texture shore waves for ocean rendering... anyway lets agree to disagree.

I can't wait to see hackers make the Nvidia only effects run nicely on ATi cards, assuming they are not PhysX based (water).

It uses CUDA so I doubt it.

That is gorgeous Humus, a real pity it unfortunately uses a proprietary system but understandable without something else that is as mature and supported yet?

Trying the demo for a few minutes already, and I'm wondering if this is a representation of the final code for the game?
Graphics wise, the first thing to draw my attention was the somehow overblown AO effect, as if the kernel size is too large or something?! Played at maxed out settings, with 4xAA and 1680*1050 -- it's all smooth riding on HD5870.

The demo freezes really quick on me. First time it took about a minute, second time about 30 seconds, and just now it froze on the loading screen. The audio keeps playing, but otherwise the game is completely unresponsive.

FWIW the minute and a half I got looked delicious. :D

Look on the bright side
imagine the hours of fun you can have holding Humus personally responsible for every single problem you encounter ;)

Look on the bright side
imagine the hours of fun you can have holding Humus personally responsible for every single problem you encounter ;)

Nah it's probably my comp. I haven't been taking care of her like I should.

Blaming Humus will be my last resort :devilish:

Edit: I am happy to report that after disabling the CUDA effects my game is rock solid stable. Performance went way up too...

Last edited by a moderator:
Played a few minutes of the demo and man it's a looker - especially some of the vistas. I'm not without complaints though. First off not all the textures are up to par. Also while the shadow tech rocks, all of the shadows show a dithering effect where softened and some are a bit low res looking. Then there's the AO which looks too wide under the characters feet (looks great besides that though). Oh and the destroyed trees disappeared too fast.

And maybe my expectations were too high but the performance isn't as good as I thought it would be. I only averaged 35fps and several times it dropped down to as low as 22fps. Being a huge open world game maybe this is one of those games that needs a quad core.

Overall it looked great though and it was pretty fun in an arcade like way.

You're a good man Humus! :D

Don't say it like it is so obvious, you know how many games ship that don't work with AA lately? :(

Looks like it's time to pop a physX card in again...

Releasing a game in 2010 without AA is a completely foreign concept to me. If the technique you're using makes it impossible to use AA then you're using the wrong techniques. As simple as that. Releasing a PC game without AA options is OK only if that means you can only have it enabled, not disabled. In fact, I think in the future some games might go this route. Especially considering on the consoles you can't turn off AA anyway.

Trying the demo for a few minutes already, and I'm wondering if this is a representation of the final code for the game?
Graphics wise, the first thing to draw my attention was the somehow overblown AO effect, as if the kernel size is too large or something?! Played at maxed out settings, with 4xAA and 1680*1050 -- it's all smooth riding on HD5870.

I originally implemented an SSAO effect that was much more subtle (and also a lot faster), but it was later replaced by HBAO. However, if you want to play around with the other implementation you can just slap /hbao=0 onto the commandline.

The demo freezes really quick on me. First time it took about a minute, second time about 30 seconds, and just now it froze on the loading screen. The audio keeps playing, but otherwise the game is completely unresponsive.

FWIW the minute and a half I got looked delicious. :D

System specs? Also, it's very important that you have the latest drivers, regardless of IHV.

The good news is that Steam has an excellent crash reporting system, so it'll be much easier for us to locate and fix bugs than in the past, meaning that we could probably fix most problems before the release of the full game.

Releasing a game in 2010 without AA is a completely foreign concept to me. If the technique you're using makes it impossible to use AA then you're using the wrong techniques. As simple as that. Releasing a PC game without AA options is OK only if that means you can only have it enabled, not disabled. In fact, I think in the future some games might go this route. Especially considering on the consoles you can't turn off AA anyway.
:love::love:

Back