Just Cause 2

The PC version is enhanced in the following ways…

• Enhanced DirectX10 and 10.1 render path
  • Support for 32Bit and 64Bit Windows 7 and Vista
  • Optimized for Dual and Quad Core Processors
  • Certified for Nvidia 3D Vision (Not available on console)
  • Support for Window and Full Screen modes
  • Enhanced for SLi
  • Enhanced for Crossfire
  • Enhanced for multi-screen setup (Not available on console)
  • Full Keyboard and Mouse support
  • Xbox360 Controller Support
  • Enhanced GPU Water effect for Nvidia Systems (Not available on console)
  • Enhanced Bokeh filter for Nvidia Systems (Not available on console)
  • Increased detail setting (Not available on console)
  • Soft Shadows (Not available on console)
  • Soft Particles (Not available on console)
  • Point Specular (Not available on console)
  • SSAO (Not available on console)
  • Benchmark Mode (Not available on console)
  • DLC support via Steamworks
  • Achievements via Steamworks
  • Auto patching via Steamworks
  • Ability to chat to other gamers via Steamworks while playing

The demo can't come soon enough. :smile:

And since I have an NVIDIA GPU I will get maximum Bokeh! :D

Those walkthrough videos on the site are a lot of fun to watch, can't wait for this title. Pity I won't get the special Nvidia only effects, but any videos out there showing the CUDA water?

I'm more excited about all the steam integration. Why anyone would roll their own systems or use live at this point makes no sense to me.

Yes the Steam integration is greatly appreciated.

Those walkthrough videos on the site are a lot of fun to watch, can't wait for this title. Pity I won't get the special Nvidia only effects, but any videos out there showing the CUDA water?

Maybe it's this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1I4kts5mqc

Last edited by a moderator:

If you've got a spare physical PCIex16 slot (doesn't have to run at full x16 speed) you can can add a fast low power dedicated PhysX card for just $35 these days:

http://www.gamephys.com/tag/dedicated-physx-card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127462&cm_re=gt_220-_-14-127-462-_-Product

Its a decent option to have.

As for Just Cause? Hype rising! :D

If you've got a spare physical PCIex16 slot (doesn't have to run at full x16 speed) you can can add a fast low power dedicated PhysX card for just $35 these days:

http://www.gamephys.com/tag/dedicated-physx-card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127462&cm_re=gt_220-_-14-127-462-_-Product

Its a decent option to have.

As for Just Cause? Hype rising! :D
Didn't nvidia block this in their drivers so that it only works if you have nvidia GPUs only?

Didn't nvidia block this in their drivers so that it only works if you have nvidia GPUs only?

They did, but it'll take more than a driver block to get around the ingenuiety of PC gamers. ;)

Details on how to set it up are at that link. Just been speaking to someone that has picked up one of those cheap GT 220s to go along with his 4870 and he got 58fps in the Batman benchmark with PhysX set to high and all the graphics settings cranked. That's the same setting which absolutely decimates performance on even a GTX 285, but the 4870 + GT 220 combo seems to manage it just fine, pretty cool actually.

I'd rather not throw any money Nvidia's way. What's the oldest card that will do CUDA?

it has to be G80 or newer.

I did some searching and it sounds like if you want to accelerate Physx you realistically need 9600GT or better. Slower hardware can't handle it well enough and it just slows games down. I tried using the GF 8200 IGP on one of my boards for Mirror's Edge hardware Physx and it slowed the game down a ton compared to just letting the 8800GTX deal with everything.

I really wish NV would lay off the CPU Physx gimping and let quad cores earn their keep. :)

it has to be G80 or newer.

I did some searching and it sounds like if you want to accelerate Physx you realistically need 9600GT or better. Slower hardware can't handle it well enough and it just slows games down. I tried using the GF 8200 IGP on one of my boards for Mirror's Edge hardware Physx and it slowed the game down a ton compared to just letting the 8800GTX deal with everything.

I really wish NV would lay off the CPU Physx gimping and let quad cores earn their keep. :)

A GT 220 seems to handle it just fine, its a 48 stream processor card so not all that far behind a 9600GT in floating point performance and whilst its a much worse GPU it seems to be pretty competitive working as a dedicated PPU. Some benchmarks here:

http://physxinfo.com/news/568/ati-hd-5870-nv-gt220-physx-benchmarks/

Considering it can be had for only $35 after rebate and sucks so little power, its the only card I'd be considering as a dedicated PhysX card, spending anything more would be pretty hard to justify considering how few games it'd be used in and the significant increase in power consumption.

Edit: These benchmarks are even more convincing:

2r3lgxx.png

In Batman: AA with PhysX set to high a GT 220 is pretty much on par with a GTS 250 wrt performance as a dedicated physX card and it also provides around a 50% increase over using just a GTX 275 by itself. With that, there's absolutely no reason to go for anything else imo, save your cash and keep the power consumption low. If I actually had a spare PCIe x16 slot and GT 220s were available as cheap as that here in the UK, I'd probably pick one up.

Enhanced GPU Water effect for Nvidia Systems
Enhanced Bokeh filter for Nvidia Systems

I'm confused by these two. So are they only available on nvidia cards and if so why?

EDIT: Okay I read the article and I see about the water but no mention of why the Bokeh filter is Nvidia only. Also their shadow tech sounds amazing. Can't wait to check this game out.

Those Batman results sure make the game appear to be completely fudged for CPU Physx. Yikes.

Well I guess I'll wait until reviews are out and those effects are benchmarked and scrutinized. I assume none of the videos released so far show those effects.

This looks like a game I might actually want to get a xbox controller for from what I've seen so far. Any comments from Humus regarding ease of mouse/keyboard controls for this?

Well I guess I'll wait until reviews are out and those effects are benchmarked and scrutinized. I assume none of the videos released so far show those effects.

http://kotaku.com/5484795/just-cause-2-pc-loves-on-nvidia

This looks like a game I might actually want to get a xbox controller for from what I've seen so far. Any comments from Humus regarding ease of mouse/keyboard controls for this?

I will probably play on my 360 controller, because that's what I'm used to from work, but I think you'll be fine with mouse/keyboard too. We've tried to balance stuff so that the experience will be comparable, especially considering the much greater accuracy of playing with the mouse.

Back