Just Cause 2

You mean Splinter Cell Chaos Theory? I didn't realize SM2b was an issue in late 2007. :p

is there news of a demo. I didn't like the first one but now that i know humus is working on it , i'd buy it if i liked it.

You mean Splinter Cell Chaos Theory? I didn't realize SM2b was an issue in late 2007. :p
I dunno about that game. But when Bioshock came out and required SM3, the Ubi forums had a little thermonuclear event. Some guys even decided instead of making a few $$ and buying a semi-modern video card that they would rewrite all of the shaders lol.

This kinda happened with Oblivion too. Oldblivion came out of that. It was a "selfless" effort to preserve those GeForce FX and 4 Ti's. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I could fake some outrage if it'll make you feel better. :yep2:
plant the seeds over on the official forum (if there is one) and see what happens. :D We can find out if the gamer public is all about DX10/11 now or what. Hey maybe there will be some crazy "lack of DX11!!!1!" meltdown? Who knows.

Chaos Theory was a pusher. It came with HDR in SM3.0 mode with soft shadows and much better shading. But yeah I heared the cries over the sea but I myself enjoyed that I could run SM3.0 with HDR disabled but 4xAA on my 6600GT. High-five man!

plant the seeds over on the official forum (if there is one) and see what happens. :D We can find out if the gamer public is all about DX10/11 now or what. Hey maybe there will be some crazy "lack of DX11!!!1!" meltdown? Who knows.

I'll play the DX11 angle if you play the DX9 angle. How about something like, "OMG THEY ARE OFFERING US TOO FEW DX OPTIONS"? :D

Right, but are there any IQ enhancements not available in regular DX10?

It's mostly an optimization which cuts the number of draw calls necessary by quite a lot and takes away the need to output depth to a secondary render target. There are a few minor visual differences where DX10.0, related to the DX10 version having a somewhat less complete depth buffer.

is there news of a demo

Yes, today the demo date was announced:
http://www.justcause.com/?page=articles/view&AID=9547

It's mostly an optimization which cuts the number of draw calls necessary by quite a lot and takes away the need to output depth to a secondary render target. There are a few minor visual differences where DX10.0, related to the DX10 version having a somewhat less complete depth buffer.

How do you think it will run on my E6750 and GTX260?

"Smooth as cream" I say. Collecting bets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgive you for no advance copy since the demo sounds more than sweet enough, thanks Humus! :D

EDITED BITS: How will it run on these two systems?

1. Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus M3A32-MVP, 1x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500, Radeon 5870

2. Phenom II X4 965 BE, Gigabyte MA790FXT-UDP5, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, 1Gb ATi Radeon 5970, X-Fi XtremeGamer

(First is my son's, second is mine ;) )

I've only seen the game a few times but from what I can tell it looks great. I also love that it's DX10 only. I wish more devs would move on from DX9.

1. Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus M3A32-MVP, 1x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500, Radeon 5870

2. Phenom II X4 965 BE, Gigabyte MA790FXT-UDP5, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, 1Gb ATi Radeon 5970, X-Fi XtremeGamer

(First is my son's, second is mine ;) )

Why only 2GB of RAM in system 1?

I'm cheap, plus 3 of the house gaming systems have 2Gb as I feel that's a fine quantity for Vista/Win7 still. Mine is the oddball with 4Gb, which forced me to go 64 and I'm not quite up for upgrading the kids/wife's rigs with a new OS yet, they tend to be a bit skittish about OS upgrades.

It works well I guess would be my best answer, I feel it's the best bang-for-buck point right now that won't limit them in what they do.

EDITED BITS: How will it run on these two systems?

:( if only you'd saved that HD 2900 XT. :(

Back