[360, PS3] Just Cause 2 (Demo Impressions, and it aint what you think)

warcrow

Regular
[360, PS3] Just Cause 2 (Update: Interview with Avalanche Studios)

04-21-10
My interview with Lead Programmer Fredrik Larsson and Game Designer Peter Johansson has gone live! A few examples of some questions I asked: What other Easter-eggs exist beyond the Lost island reference? Were fully destructible structures ever considered? Will Just Cause 2 ever end up on the Wii? How does the Heat system really work? Why on earth can't we purchase multiple items from the Black Market?

It's a good read.

http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2010/04/just-cause-2-interview-peter-johansson.html

The Good: Fucking awesome and fucking fun. This game is going to be huge.

The Bad: The voice acting is some of the worst I've heard in recent years for a video game (and it's not even laughable bad--it's just bad). However, if this is a turn off for you then you would be missing the point of the game. Just don't even put that much stock into the quality of the it or the story. It's not important. You can't expect that stuff to be even passability good. Its awful, and that's just fine by me. This game doesnt need any of that to be valid though. In GTA, sure, it was great because it was such a grounded and story driven video game, but JC2 basically dumps you into a channel of islands with a parachute, a gapple hook and some guns and says 'have at it kid'.

That's it.

This game is--at its heart--a game. It's a hand full of a Jacks. It's a bat, a baseball and a glove. It's a set of Legos to make with what you will. I havent even played the full game and I can tell you that it's not a video game with a narrative that's going to be compelling in any way, and I couldnt care less about why I'm there, or who needs liberated.

I just want to go crazy in that game. I want to grapple onto airplanes, hijack them, fly up to the highest point in the game, jump out, free fall at 90MPH until the last 100 feet, pull out my guns and blow a bunch of shit up underneath me while I rack up chaos points while wearing my cheesy-ass leathers and slicked back hair. That's all I expect out of this game and you should too.

The controls are a little wonky at first, but by the second time I played the demo it was fine.

Very excited for this game! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn`t get into the controls. And after playing only online for weeks it just felt strange and boring to fight AI that just stand still shooting.

This would be an amazing co-op games. I didn't have an issue with the controls or anything. The demo was cool and would be a must buy if it was co-op but I'm gonna have to pass. This year is going to be rough for most games with the barrage of AAA titles coming.

This game seems like a much less serious version of Far Cry 2. Maybe with some Red Faction Guerilla thrown in.

Once you figure out how to fully use the grappling hook and parachute it really gets fun.

It's also surprisingly pretty :)

This game seems like a much less serious version of Far Cry 2. Maybe with some Red Faction Guerilla thrown in.

Once you figure out how to fully use the grappling hook and parachute it really gets fun.

It's also surprisingly pretty :)

exactly my thoughts but may not be enough to hold my attention for the full game.... a worthy rental maybe unless you excel at or appreciate creating Chaos.

Just managed to extend the demo until nightime. Absolutely beautiful sunset! Also found a tank :devilish:

Ended with about 14000 Chaos :D

i make this comparison map

justacause2.jpg

That comparison map looks a little incorrect to me--the GTA:SA map should be much larger. The starting area for JC2 was not larger (or as large as) the cities.

Plus, GTA had A LOT crammed into some of those spaces.

this comparison is exact
Just a cause is 32x32km map and GTA:SA 6x6km. it's 1024km² vs 36km²
it's devellopers numbers and mesured/confirmed ingame by me

and in the center of the SA map there is GTA4 map (transparency)

this comparison is exact
Just a cause is 32x32km map and GTA:SA 6x6km. it's 1024km² vs 36km²
it's devellopers numbers and mesured/confirmed ingame by me

and in the center of the SA map there is GTA4 map (transparency)

Wow! Isn't that the same amount of surface area as Lair (not including sky)?

It looks like you're right--weird. Man, that's a lot to explore, but most of it is barren land I suppose. We'll find out.

Can someone explain the grapple controls?
How do you attach people to objects , and how do you go up into air with a gas cylinder? I can't get them right at all.

Otherwise, it was fun, much more polished than the prequel and visuals are wonderful. The sense of height is immense in this game, I mean you actually feel you are really high in the air if you ride a chopper up :) !

Can someone explain the grapple controls?
How do you attach people to objects , and how do you go up into air with a gas cylinder? I can't get them right at all.

The crosshair changes to brackets '[]' when you have something targeted.

Aim for the neck of the cylinder and jump onto it, then shoot it. Or cooler but trickier, shoot it and jump on it.

Looks like a really cool game for just messing about and doing wacky stuff. I'm somewhat sad that I couldn't really play it on PC.

Back