Installed new mobo, killed pc...

hm, this problem sounds to me as if the machine is detecting memory timings or clocks incorrectly with optimized defaults.
The problem happens even when I don't choose to load optimized defaults, even if I touch nothing at all. The BIOS values should all be the same as when they were when it booted shouldn't they, i.e. the defaults, so why won't it boot when I save but make no changes???

Anyway, I'm checking just in case and here's what I've got:
CPU Name: Athlon XP
CPU Internal Frequency: 1150MHz (100x11.5)

CPU Operating Speed: 2600+
External Clock: 166MHz
Multiplier Factor: x11.5
AGP Frequency: 66MHz
CPU FSB/DRAM ratio: Auto
CPU Core Voltage: 1.65v
DDR SDRAM Voltage: 2.6v
Chipset Voltage: 1.6v
AGP Voltage: 1.5v

Memory Timings: Optimal ( 7, 3, 3, 2.5 )
System BIOS Cacheable: Enabled
Video RAM Cacheable: Enabled

Ok, I think that's the most important stuff. The RAM is TwinMos DDR333 512Mb. The CPU is a Barton 2600+, seems to be detected ok. Could it be that the problem is that it initialy sets the FSB to 100 and then sets it to 166 if I save settings (because it says 100x11.5 as the CPU internal freq. but later on says external clock is 166MHz)??

Anyway, I'll run it on defaults through a memtest and see what I get. If anyone notices anything bad in those settings let me know!

Oh yeah, I just noticed at startup it detects the memory correctly as DDR333. Running Memtest86 now, so far so good (2 1/2 minutes) :D

On page 3-6 of the nf7-s manual it says.

We suggest you install ddr sdram modules from diim3 to dimm1 sickets in order.

When installing two pc3200 ddr sdram modules we suggest you install the two ddrsdram modules into dimm3 and dimm2 sockets.

That is what I suggest you do.

I can understand you missing this as it is small, but it matters. Furthermore some boards it doesn't like my shuttle ms31n doesn't care and it states as much in the manual but the nf7-s DOES CARE.

G'luck mate :p

Running memtest for 40 minutes now and no problem, I'll let it go for a couple of hours but I'm really starting to doubt that the memory is bad. The timings might still be off although its hella confusing that it should boot fine after a CMOS clear but not if I save the default settings without loading/changing anything unless it loads different settings into BIOS setup than what it uses to boot, which would be weird.

And one more time B4 I head to bed, Have you emailed TECH support? You should at least give it a try. They are pretty helpful even if they will not respond imediately and you ahve to wait one day.

On page 3-6 of the nf7-s manual it says.

We suggest you install ddr sdram modules from diim3 to dimm1 sickets in order.
Hmm, different page but you are right, its there. Black text on dark gray background, how nice. I specifically looked at that page to see if there was an order and I completely missed it. :oops:
I'll let the memtest run through and then I'll try to fix it. Seems sort of silly to label the slots in the opposite order that you are supposed to use them.

The thing is that slot 3 is the one that it was nearly impossible to get the module into in the first place and it looks like I might have to remove the entire motherboard to do the swap but heck, if there's a chance of fixing it I'll do it :)

Four passes of memtest went ok so probably not a memory problem, well not directly as in the memory got fried or anything. I'll try changing the slot and see what happens though.

Also, this time when I restarted I noticed it didn't give me BIOS checksum error but rather it said that the CPU has changed or is unworkable, so I guess the CMOS got fully cleared this time and not the other time? Oh well, doesn't make much difference anyway.

Ok, swapped the RAM into the right slot and guess what? It worked!
I'm officially going by the name "Retard Boy" for the rest of the week. Thank you very much :) I feel like such an idiot. :oops:

Now I'll have to go and see if sticking the other module into slot 2 for some dual channel action will still work. Oh and windows boots up fine thank god! I'm a happy camper. Looks like temps are down too though that could just be because my case is open ATM. Woooooot!!!

So boys and girls, never put yer RAM in the wrong slot on a NF7-S. It ain't good. :D

READ INSTRUCTIONS??!!! That's not a manly thing to do! It's like asking for help when you are lost! Real men just don't do such things! :rolleyes:

READ INSTRUCTIONS??!!! That's not a manly thing to do! It's like asking for help when you are lost! Real men just don't do such things!
In my defense I did have a look at the instructions because I knew that some mobos are picky about where you put the ram. However, in my quick glance at the page I totally missed the tiny line of black text on dark gray background that recommends inserting ram from DIMM3 to DIMM1. Not a big warning or anything, just a little note that is very easy to miss.

Oh well, at least it works now. Also installed the other ram, 1Gb total, dual channel, all working sweet! I'm so happy :)

Back