Windows 10 boot problems, pls help

Sure, feel free to ask any questions.

As I said before, configuring your disk for GPT/UEFI boot is not nearly as scary as it may seem if you have backups of your data.
What happens if mbr2gpt fails? I have a situation where I need to clone an MBR SATA boot drive to an NVME. So my usual process of cloning the drive and then booting the target drive and running mbr2gpt won't work. The NVME drive will never boot on MBR. I'll have to convert the original SATA drive to GPT and then do the clone which worries me. mbr2gpt has never failed on me but it would really suck to lose the original Windows install.

I guess I could clone the original drive to another SATA drive just to have an insurance policy but that's a huge waste of time.

It seems from your instructions I could clone the drive, having the target set up as GPT and then manually create the EFI partition and stuff. Would that work?

BTW I'm only going through this because some guy was installing Windows in legacy mode in 2016. He did this on a bunch of computers. He's gone now so he'll never realize the pain he's caused me.

Last edited:
Do you really need to clone it? cant you install windows on the nvme drive and copy the needed files over ?

I need to clone an MBR SATA boot drive to an NVME. So my usual process of cloning the drive and then booting the target drive and running mbr2gpt won't work.
Why don't you clone the disk first, then use the MBR2GPT tool on the new NVMe SSD? You can install the NVMe disk in the target PC then run the tool offline from the command prompt on the Windows Recovery USB flash drive (or a custom Windows ISO image prepared with uupdump / rufus). You can also run it on the technician's PC by booting into Windows Preinstallation Environment (WinPE) image configured by WADK, or starting your existing Windows Recovery Environment.

If you run MBR2GPT in full OS mode, not in offline mode (i.e. WinPE, WinRE, or setup/recovery disk), do not convert the drive that you've just booted from, or the tool will create additional partitions instead of re-using the existing ones.

Personally I don't use MBR2GPT because it's unable to reconfigure the partitions to the recommended GPT/UEFI layout of placing the EFI System Partition at the start of the disk, which can be a problem when you need to update the Windows Recovery Environment partition, as in that botched KB5034441/ KB5034440 update.

What happens if mbr2gpt fails?
mbr2gpt has never failed on me but it would really suck to lose the original Windows install.
I suppose the only major point of failure for MBR2GPT would be an error creating and/or initializing the EFI System Partition and the BCD store - in that case, you will be left with a non-bootable GPT disk, but your Windows partition should be left intact, so you will have to setup ESP and BCD manually (according to my guide linked above :) ).

Though in-place conversion to GPT disk is also potentially risky, you should be able to rebuild the partition table with any decent 3rd party partitioning tool.

It seems from your instructions I could clone the drive, having the target set up as GPT and then manually create the EFI partition and stuff. Would that work?
Yes, it will - though the preferred way would be to first partition your new GPT disk according to Microsoft recommended disk partition layout with their DiskPart sctipts, so that ESP is placed at the start of the disk, then copy only the Windows partition from the old disk using 3rd party disk/partition management software, and finally setup BCD store and WinRE image with BCDBoot and reagentc commands.

This would take less time than first cloning the entire disk, then non-destructively resizing the Windows partition to accomodate ESP at the beginning - which needs to relocate NTFS system metafiles like MFT, cluster bitmap, boot record etc., recalculate all cluster chains for each file, and maybe move some data clusters, essentialy repeating most of the steps performed during disk cloning.

I guess I could clone the original drive to another SATA drive just to have an insurance policy
Making one more backup of your data is always a good idea. Learned my lesson through 4 failed hard disk drives that took countless valuable documents and photos with them.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to upgrade it to a bigger drive. I don't wanna have to start over.
Unless your limited by the amount of drives you can have there are tools that will make 2 drives appear as a single drive.
edit: stupid comment if you weren't limited you'd just add another drive

Unless your limited by the amount of drives you can have there are tools that will make 2 drives appear as a single drive.
edit: stupid comment if you weren't limited you'd just add another drive
Yea a NUC is pretty limited on the number of drives it can hold :)

Also even if it could hold >1 the user isn't capable of managing data like that.

I'd do this: Backup, backup, backup! Make a copy of all your important data, because if something goes wrong, you'll be screwed. MiniTool Partition Wizard - this is my favorite tol for stuff like this. It can create a bootable USB from which you can manage partitions, even without installing the system. Clone and convert: Clone the disk to NVME, and then use Partition Wizard to convert it to GPT and set up EFI. There's an option that should do it automatically. As for combining drives: I don't know,, it's a bit of a weird option. Unless you have specific reasons to do it. I' d be afraid of messing something up;).

Symbolic links aren't that weird they're just sort of fancy shortcuts or create a spanned volume or use the extend volume wizard

Last edited:
I'd do this: Backup, backup, backup! Make a copy of all your important data, because if something goes wrong, you'll be screwed. MiniTool Partition Wizard - this is my favorite tol for stuff like this. It can create a bootable USB from which you can manage partitions, even without installing the system. Clone and convert: Clone the disk to NVME, and then use Partition Wizard to convert it to GPT and set up EFI. There's an option that should do it automatically. As for combining drives: I don't know,, it's a bit of a weird option. Unless you have specific reasons to do it. I' d be afraid of messing something up;).
To be clear I'm not worried about losing any data. All the important stuff lives on the server.

Having to reinstall Windows is a PITA from a training perspective. Some users are very sensitive to things being exactly where they expect them to be. If anything at all is different after a reinstall they'll be blowing me up asking where their email went (it's 3 items to the right of where it used to be on the taskbar, or the icon looks slightly different etc.). That's what I'm dealing with. :) Cloning has saved me countless hours by avoiding all of that.

To be clear I'm not worried about losing any data. All the important stuff lives on the server.

Having to reinstall Windows is a PITA from a training perspective. Some users are very sensitive to things being exactly where they expect them to be. If anything at all is different after a reinstall they'll be blowing me up asking where their email went (it's 3 items to the right of where it used to be on the taskbar, or the icon looks slightly different etc.). That's what I'm dealing with. :) Cloning has saved me countless hours by avoiding all of that.
^THIS!!!

That's my big problem with my wife's PC and OS install, she wants it exactly the same. I got everything backed up and a reformat and full reinstall and that would be best and then just transfer needed things over. It's the computer equivalent of spring cleaning imho, everything just runs better and it doesn't take long to adjust to the subtle differences. Keeping her desktop wallpaper and login screen as well as knowing basically how she likes her desktop and taskbar setup means that I can get a generic install into "hers" in an hour or so of fiddling. One nice thing about her adapting to her laptop is she's getting used to living with a different layout so I think instead of cloning I'll just recopy everything for luck and wipe it and start over.

You nailed the biggest problem i have with any windows reinstall, making the default look/act like their old one. Even on my system when I do a reinstall I do the same thing, I like my desktop just so too! ;)

^THIS!!!

That's my big problem with my wife's PC and OS install, she wants it exactly the same. I got everything backed up and a reformat and full reinstall and that would be best and then just transfer needed things over. It's the computer equivalent of spring cleaning imho, everything just runs better and it doesn't take long to adjust to the subtle differences. Keeping her desktop wallpaper and login screen as well as knowing basically how she likes her desktop and taskbar setup means that I can get a generic install into "hers" in an hour or so of fiddling. One nice thing about her adapting to her laptop is she's getting used to living with a different layout so I think instead of cloning I'll just recopy everything for luck and wipe it and start over.

You nailed the biggest problem i have with any windows reinstall, making the default look/act like their old one. Even on my system when I do a reinstall I do the same thing, I like my desktop just so too! ;)
TBH I'm the same way. I get used to things being a certain way and don't like change, especially when it's objectively for the worse (e.g. Windows 11 context menus using unfamiliar icons for basic functions like Copy/Paste etc). But for me it's a mild annoyance. For some users it's the apocolypse :)

Back