Installed new mobo, killed pc...

Goragoth

Regular
So I finally got myself to install the new mobo (abit nf7-s) and all my nigthmares came true (well ok, so the pc didn't explode in gigantic ball of flame but close). :oops:

CPU install (which I ws most worried about) was no problem. Acetone did away with the old thermal pad nicely and it all went well.

First problem I encountered was inserting the RAM. The first module went in fine in slot 1 and then I proceeded to install the second module into slot 3 and that required some serious forcing, not good (and yes I did check it was around the right way :rolleyes: ). After a lot of effort it did finally go in and everything seemed alright.

Second problem came after I installed the mobo in the case: my IDE cable wasn't long enough. With my huge full tower case the cable for the optical drives wouldn't reach since the layout of the new mobo was slightly different from the old one where it just made it. Not too terrible though, I just had to remove the drives and chuck them in a few rungs lower.

Then the big moment came to turn the damn thing on. No problems, it boots and first thing I do is go into the BIOS. I make a couple of changes (I enable shutdown if the cpu fan fails and I up the AGP arpeture from 64 to 128), I take a look around and everything else looks fine, CPU temp is good, and I select save and exit. It saves and reboots and... nothing. :(

Well, not nothing, the screen stays blank but I do get a POST beep. One long, repeating beep. I power down, try again. Same story. CRAP!!!
So I do a search on the net to see what it means and it looks like a DRAM error. Maybe forcing in the module broke something or maybe I ESD'd one (or both) of the modules while handeling them (I was careful but I lightly touched the chips on them once or twice accidently while trying to get the IDE cable to plug in). It really doesn't look good. I'm still a little curious why it booted the first time and failed after that. Only thing I can think of is that setting the AGP arpeture to a higher value means it goes through more ram at startup and thus it hit a bad part in the module, or the ram blew after the first POST.

I might try booting with only one module to see if it will go or maybe I'll just take it into a shop and let them deal with it and get it fixed up (at least that will save me further headaches).

Dude you are jumping the gun an phreaking out.

Have you cleared the cmos yet? You know all the things you are supposed to do.

Goragoth said:
I make a couple of changes (I enable shutdown if the cpu fan fails and I up the AGP arpeture from 64 to 128)
If it was booting OK before you made these changes then you probably installed everything OK. My guess would be you forgot to connect the CPU fan to your mobo header, so it can monitor CPU fan speed. When you changed the BIOS to 'enable shutdown if the cpu fan fails' it attempted to check the fan and presumed the it was dead and shut-down the board. Don't panic. Clear the CMOS (check manual for how to do this) and hopefully that will fix things.

Actually, ABIT NF7-S mobos (possibly others too based on NF2, not sure) have a tendency of crapping out on you after saving BIOS settings.

Diplo said:
My guess would be you forgot to connect the CPU fan to your mobo header, so it can monitor CPU fan speed.

Ditto - either that or it's connected to another header. Clear CMOS or switch the fan connections around.

Having said that, I also had an NF7-S (v2) that crapped out on me after I changed some BIOS settings. :?

Diplo, if that was really the culprit, the system should have shut down, not just keep beeping, no?
(I know my NF7-S works that way at least.)

anaqer said:
Diplo, if that was really the culprit, the system should have shut down, not just keep beeping, no?
(I know my NF7-S works that way at least.)
No, it keeps going "WEEEE-OOOOH!!!! WEEEE-OOOOH!!!! WEEEE-OOOOH!!!! WEEEE-OOOOH!!!! WEEEE-OOOOH!!!!"...at least mine did when my power-supply was going bad and when I had a cat hair caught between my heatsink & CPU on my NF7-s rev2. (It's the last time I let me cats help me upgrade too. :rolleyes: )

That's the themperature warning siren, fan failures induce much more draconian (and less noisy) measures. ;)

One long beep usually signifies memory problem. Try removing one dimm. Qusetion, are the dimms the same manufacturer, with same settings? If not, try installing as single memory, not dual - usually the 2 close memory slots, the 3ard is usually sepperated by a row of resisters.....

Also, reseat your videocard.....

martrox said:
Qusetion, are the dimms the same manufacturer, with same settings?
I had horrible problems trying to mix 2x256MB sticks of Geil PC3200 with a 512MB stick of Kingston. I kept getting blue screens occasionally, until it just got to the point the PC wouldn't even boot! :?

If I pulled the Geil, it was fine; if I pulled the Kingston and used the Geil it was fine....I gave up and bought another 512MB stick of matching Kingston memory and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble since. (I'm using the Geil in a project upgrading my son's PC...so it ain't going to waste. :) )

Mixing memory has always given me grief, matched memory is the only way to go.

I have mixed mushkin and Corsair memory and it works fine. I think you have to make sure the memoru has the same basic specs and things work out well enough.

And it isn't the NF2 specifically I think that does this I find that many chipsets seem to die when fiddling with the bios. I think if anything it is that many users of NF2 buy them for agp lock to overclock and fiddla faddle constantly with the bios so you hear of it more. My first nf7-s died as well but it was version 1.0 or whatever the first one was and the replacement was 1.2 so I figured I got a free upgrade. Then I built my brother in law a pc and kept his v2 nf7-s but I built it free so that was the deal :)

Most all of the original NForce2 's had problems with BIOS corruption. In fact, many knowledgable resellers offered some form of BIOS recovery. The NF7's and all their varients were prone to this... in fact, it's the main reason why Abit introduced the AN7. Later MB's - that's why I primarily use Shuttle & Albatron MB's - have found a way around this problem.

martrox said:
Most all of the original NForce2 's had problems with BIOS corruption.
So if my NF7 ever goes squirrly before I try replacing hardware next time maybe I should try clearing the bios and reflashing it? :|

anaqer said:
Actually, ABIT NF7-S mobos (possibly others too based on NF2, not sure) have a tendency of crapping out on you after saving BIOS settings.
this was apparently fixed in later BIOS revisions (and since I assume he has a 2.0, which were not very prone to this problem to begin with, he has a later BIOS revision, at least 1.7), and it required you to change BIOS settings about 10 times or so. I never heard of it as a "change BIOS settings, BIOS explodes instantly" problem.

Yeah provide some links instead of just these rumors eh ?

Anyway like I said HAVE YOU TRIED CLEARING THE CMOS?

Maybe he fixed it and just didn't bother to look at the thread again :)

Sxotty said:
I never get pissed at that, but it happens enough that I'm pleasantly surprised whenever someone does come back to tell us how it ended.

Sxotty said:
Yeah provide some links instead of just these rumors eh ?

Why don't you just do a google search for nforce2 BIOS corruption. It's a known problem, and if you haven't heard of it, then maybe it speaks volumes on your lack of knowledge. Here's 19 pages of results:

http://www.google.com/search?q=nfor...newwindow=1&safe=off&start=0&sa=N

Some of you guys need to gain a bit of humility. Granted, just because someone says something doesn't make it true, nor does it make it fasle. Sxotty, do your research before you try to imply someone's pulling something out of their ass.....

Sxotty said:
Anyway like I said HAVE YOU TRIED CLEARING THE CMOS?

...or maybe he's been asleep for the past 8 hours, like most other people in NZ?

...or maybe he's been asleep for the past 8 hours, like most other people in NZ?
Yeah, I've been sleeping and trying to forget my problems :)
I'm pretty freaked out since this is the first time I've had a computer not boot on me.

I'll try clearing the CMOS, then I'll try pulling the RAM.

The RAM I'm using is in dual channel mode (even said so the time it actually booted). One stick is DDR333 the other DDR400 and two different (generic) manufacturers. I have been using them in the PC with the other mobo and it was fine though.

I'm going to get back to it and see if I can fix the damn problem and post my succes or lack thereof once I have some results. Thanks for all the support. :)

Back