Infamous vs. Titanfall sales. And WTF is 'hype' anyway?? *spawn

I think it's safe to say, Infamous outsold Titanfall in the UK (so far). http://www.psu.com/a022910/inFAMOUS--Second-Son-sales-drop-67--in-UK-still-holds-top-spot?page=0

Uhh, no. TF outsolds ISS 2-1 launch weeks. Both then dropped pretty similar second week (73% TF, 67% ISS).

In fact I'd make a strong wager TF will be ahead of ISS in next weeks charts. It should have been quite close this week.

You can see it clearer on the individual SKU chart, where TF actually rose from 3rd to 2nd.

Week 13, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (01) PS4 INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
02 (03) XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (NE) PC DIABLO III: REAPER OF SOULS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
04 (02) PS4 METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (KONAMI)
05 (08) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
06 (NE) 3DS PROFESSOR LAYTON VS PHOENIX WRIGHT (NINTENDO)
07 (15) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
08 (11) 360 PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
09 (04) PS3 FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD REMASTER (SQUARE ENIX EUROPE)
10 (07) 360 SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH (UBISOFT)

Uhh, no. TF outsolds ISS 2-1 launch weeks.

I'm pretty sure it has.

If it is to be believed that TF lead to a 96% increase in XB1 sales during its first sales week (being on top for two weeks), and if it is to be believed that ISS lead to a 106% increase in PS4 sales during its first week (currently on top for two weeks), then it becomes simple math.

Prior to any of them (Titanfall and ISS) being released, PS4 was (is) leading in UK hardware sales, so I can see more sales of ISS in the PS4 camp because of the prior userbase.

Last edited by a moderator:
TF has outsold ISS, the difference is MS lost millions to get that win while Sony are likely to make bank.
I don't think we'll see a price drop in 2015 either.
I disagree, i believe it will be cut to $299 and we'll see a new model
APU will move to 20nm, GDDR5 will move to 8Gb density.

I'll take that friendly bet. :)

Infamous SS bundle sold out last week which probably contributed to the drop this week, but still held a bit better than Titanfall (67% vs 73%). The PS4's supply situation has been better this week, so I expect PS4 software sales in general to go up, and Infamous will at least hold fairly well. It's still ranked 2 at amazon.co.uk over a week after release, right behind the standalone PS4 SKU.

As for Titanfall, it has been readily available since day 1. Even though it technically climbed the charts from 3 to 2, I'm guessing it still had a weekly drop, and will continue to drop.

Yeah, would be interesting to compare standalone game sales. Titanfall is obviously boosted by the fact that it's bundled for free (pretty much).

edit: Also, GAF's maths has the PS4 at 720k and XB1 at 560k LTD in the UK.

My money is on djskribbles.

But just for next week. Not sure about comparative Infamous/Titanfall (XB1) TLD.

TF has outsold ISS

I'm talking UK specifically. If they both held the #1 top spot for two weeks (a piece), the difference being XB1 having a 96% sales increase during its first week and the PS4 having a 106% sales increase during it first week.... it doesn't take a mathematician to figure out the numbers favor ISS in the UK. With PS4 already having the larger user base before either going on sale. I remember the same was being said about FIFA at one time... yet we know that PS4 FIFA sales are leading within the UK.

If we're talking worldwide sales, I will stay neutral on that. ISS and TF have done really well in the US... the rest of the territories, I can't say. But Sony has the numbers WorldWide on making ISS number #1.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...e-106-during-infamous-second-son-launch-week/

According to a “trusted retail source” (via MCV), the launch of inFamous: Second Son in the UK last week had a huge effect on PS4 console sales, bringing them up 106%. In the week previous to inFamous, which saw Titanfall release for Xbox One, the PS4 had jumped up 72%, with the Xbox One seeing a rise of 96%.

When comparing the retail releases of both inFamous and Titanfall in the UK, MCV’s “trusted retail source” has revealed that Titanfall’s debut week sales were just under double the amount inFamous: Second Son saw in its debut week. Titanfall did fall 73% in its second week though, so it will be interesting to see if inFamous suffers a similar drop, or if its holds strong.

Nope. ISS only saw a 67% fall during its second week. So yes, ISS is leading in UK sales.

I'm talking UK specifically. If they both held the #1 top spot for two weeks (a piece), the difference being XB1 having a 96% sales increase during its first week and the PS4 having a 106% sales increase during it first week.... it doesn't take a mathematician to figure out the numbers favor ISS in the UK. With PS4 already having the larger user base before either going on sale. I remember the same was being said about FIFA at one time... yet we know that PS4 FIFA sales are leading within the UK.

If we're talking worldwide sales, I will stay neutral on that. ISS and TF have done really well in the US... the rest of the territories, I can't say. But Sony has the numbers WorldWide on making ISS number #1.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...e-106-during-infamous-second-son-launch-week/

Nope. ISS only saw a 67% fall during its second week. So yes, ISS is leading in UK sales.

Titanfall sold almost twice as many copies during its week one versus Infamous week one, so Titanfall's first week sales cover all of Infamous sales. Why are you using hardware unit sales percentages as evidence in Titanfall vs Infamous software sales?

edit: This post should cover the situation http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106397000&postcount=60

Titanfall sold almost twice as many copies during its week one versus Infamous week one, so Titanfall's first week sales cover all of Infamous sales. Why are you using hardware unit sales percentages as evidence in Titanfall vs Infamous software sales?

edit: This post should cover the situation http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106397000&postcount=60

But yes, factoring In the % drops, ISS software and the "ISS bundles" as well, not even factoring in the digital sales. I'm a 101% certain ISS has outsold TF in the UK.

But yes, factoring In the % drops, ISS software and the "ISS bundles" as well, not even factoring in the digital sales. I'm a 101% certain ISS has outsold TF in the UK.

I'm sorry but these:

Infamous Week 1 = 80000
MGS Week 1 = 65000

Infamous Week 2 = 26400
MGS Week 2 = 23400
Titanfall Week 3 = 23300

Titanfall Week 2 = 40172 (58x/100=23300)

Titanfall Week 1 = 148786 (27x/100=40172)

Titanfall LTD (3 weeks) = 212258
Infamous LTD (2 weeks)= 106400
MGS LTD (2 weeks) = 88400

make sense, whereas your points make no sense whatsoever. Titanfall's larger drop percentage is pointless, because it sold so many copies on its week one.

edit: the hardware percentages are totally useless, since we don't know where the first figures are calculated from? You using them and being 101% sure is unreal...

Lets try some basic math.

If TF outsold ISS 2:1 and hypothetically sold 1 million in its first week that would put ISS at 500K. A 73% drop would give TF 270K in sales the second week while ISS would see just 165k in its second week.

Thats 1.270 million versus 665 million. The true numbers aren't known but for your assertion to be true, bundles and DD would have to account for 48% of all ISS sales. And thats without taking account the latest sales of TF and ignoring its own DD and bundles.

The PS4 going from 72% to 106% doesn't indicate the likelihood of your proposed reality because we have no ideal what the PS4 was doing before the spikes in sales. Its supply constrained.

Lets try some basic math.

If TF outsold ISS 2:1 and hypothetically sold 1 million in its first week that would put ISS at 500K. A 73% drop would give TF 270K in sales the second week while ISS would see just 165k in its second week.

FYI – ISS has sold over 1.1 million units (physical copies) worldwide. Before that, preorders were above one million worldwide for ISS.

The PS4 going from 72% to 106% doesn't indicate the likelihood of your proposed reality because we have no ideal what the PS4 was doing before the spikes in sales. Its supply constrained.

But I will conceded (forgot) TF was out an extra week. However, the ISS bundle numbers are well over 250k units in the EU alone, from what I know. No digital copy data though. But from what I hear (retailers / vendors) ISS is leading in sales outside of the US, the bulk stemming from the EU.

We shall see...

FYI: I could only verify 250k ISS bundles sold outside the US (dealing with the EU). It could be slightly more or lot more..

Schweet :p

Infamous SS bundle sold out last week which probably contributed to the drop this week, but still held a bit better than Titanfall (67% vs 73%). The PS4's supply situation has been better this week, so I expect PS4 software sales in general to go up, and Infamous will at least hold fairly well. It's still ranked 2 at amazon.co.uk over a week after release, right behind the standalone PS4 SKU.

As for Titanfall, it has been readily available since day 1. Even though it technically climbed the charts from 3 to 2, I'm guessing it still had a weekly drop, and will continue to drop.

It did have a weekly drop, that drop was 42%. Given by Chart Track.

My thinking that it's close to ISS goes something like this, using only percentages. 1st week 2:1 over ISS, so 100:50, 2nd week 73/67 drops respectively, so 27:16.5, 3rd week (only for TF) =.58X27=15.66. So 16.5 ISS :15.66 TF should have been the ratio this week, IE TF very close.

You also have the fact TF is bundled more heavily, giving it a natural base of sales. Given I believe the two titles were close this week, IMO TF will drop less next week.

Yeah, would be interesting to compare standalone game sales. Titanfall is obviously boosted by the fact that it's bundled for free (pretty much).

edit: Also, GAF's maths has the PS4 at 720k and XB1 at 560k LTD in the UK.

GAF numbers are literally all over the damn place. I've given up. Reason is there is a guy on there called "Wotta" who supposedly has the numbers, and he claims all the derived numbers they've been using are just wrong. In a way he almost seems to be saying MCV has actually been wrong in their Chart Track reporting, really, by extension.

Also when working with the rough figures MCV has been giving, rounding can quickly lead to very large differences in calculations.

Given the Wotta/MCV apparent contradiction, I've fallen back to simply assuming MCV is correct, simply because that seems more reasonable than trusting a guy on twitter/Neogaf (even though he does work for a magazine or something). But it would be nice to see some reconciliation.

BTW, if it means something, "Wotta" also tweeted the up to date UK hardware sales are 500K XO vs >630K PS4. He then claimed he was guessing. But I've noticed a pattern of extreme wariness to his methods, so I think it's possible that he wasn't guessing at all, but simply providing cover for himself. AKA, there's a decent chance 500k:630K is where it stands imo.

bundles and DD would have to account for 48% of all ISS sales.

Chart Track counts bundles anyway, always has.

Digital is a cop out. All games have digital and we should assume in roughly the same proportion. It's also from everything I know likely still a small percentage of retail sales for consoles.

FYI – ISS has sold over 1.1 million units (physical copies) worldwide. Before that, preorders were above one million worldwide for ISS.

You dont know that. Sigh.

Isn't just about every XB1 system sold in the UK a TF bundle? If so that is going to hold the sales of TF artificially high for weeks if not months. Don't expect any title to compete with a pack-in. Infamous has a bundle, but its not discounted and not readily available. A TF "sale" in the UK is like Wii Sports last gen. 40k bundles and 10k discs shows as 50k sales.

This seems like a well grounded post on GAF to clear up some confusion

Things we know:

MGSw1 > 54k
2xISSw1 > TFw1 > 125k

So let's go with ISSw1 at 72k, that's 57k for MGSw1, and <144k TFw1

ISSw2 = 23.76k
MGSw2 = 20.52k (so that's roughly a 3k diff with ISS)
TFw2 < 38.88k; TFw3 < 22.55k

Seems about right-ish. TF is a bit high that way but we only have a rather vague upper limit.

This seems like a well grounded post on GAF to clear up some confusion
Things we know:

MGSw1 > 54k
2xISSw1 > TFw1 > 125k

So let's go with ISSw1 at 72k, that's 57k for MGSw1, and <144k TFw1

ISSw2 = 23.76k
MGSw2 = 20.52k (so that's roughly a 3k diff with ISS)
TFw2 < 38.88k; TFw3 < 22.55k

Seems about right-ish. TF is a bit high that way but we only have a rather vague upper limit.

isnt MGS(w2) > TF(w3) by 100 units or so.?

than TF(w3) < 20.5?

I think TitanFall has a major success because this game can truly reach the mass markets in console industry. Infamous is definitely a gorgeous game, even more than Titanfall. But somehow, i think the gameplay of this game is not the kind of gameplay that can attract vast majority of gamers, compared to Titanfall. I think graphics are not the only one variable that takes integral role of the success of console games in the future, even though graphics are the reasons why people buy next-gen games.

In fact I'd make a strong wager TF will be ahead of ISS in next weeks charts. It should have been quite close this week.

My money is on djskribbles.

But just for next week. Not sure about comparative Infamous/Titanfall (XB1) TLD.

Ahem :p http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110032

Week 14, 2014 - Individual Formats (Units)

01 (NE) PC THE ELDER SCROLLS ONLINE (BETHESDA SOFTWORKS)
02 (02) XBO TITANFALL (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
03 (01) PS4 INFAMOUS: SECOND SON (SONY COMPUTER ENT.)
04 (05) 360 MINECRAFT: XBOX 360 EDITION (MICROSOFT)
05 (07) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (08) 360 PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
07 (10) 360 SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH (UBISOFT)
08 (04) PS4 METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES (KONAMI)
09 (13) 360 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
10 (11) 360 THE LEGO MOVIE VIDEOGAME (WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE)

I think TitanFall has a major success because this game can truly reach the mass markets in console industry. Infamous is definitely a gorgeous game, even more than Titanfall. But somehow, i think the gameplay of this game is not the kind of gameplay that can attract vast majority of gamers, compared to Titanfall. I think graphics are not the only one variable that takes integral role of the success of console games in the future, even though graphics are the reasons why people buy next-gen games.

Although I agree with the fact that its genre and gameplay mechanics are more appealing for a broader market I doubt it would have been that big if it didnt have the hype and push around it as a flagship X1 title

Although I agree with the fact that its genre and gameplay mechanics are more appealing for a broader market I doubt it would have been that big if it didnt have the hype and push around it as a flagship X1 title

I doubt it. Honestly, if it were multiplatform they probably would have sold at least 50% more copies, but probably more than that. Everyone knew it was being made by the guys who did Modern Warfare. That in itself was bringing a lot of attention to it.

Back