Infamous vs. Titanfall sales. And WTF is 'hype' anyway?? *spawn

Although I agree with the fact that its genre and gameplay mechanics are more appealing for a broader market I doubt it would have been that big if it didnt have the hype and push around it as a flagship X1 title
It's arguably the best MP shooter out there, so it's popularity shouldn't be surprising.

The weirdest thing about the Chart-track list is that the PC version of Titanfall doesn't even show up there. So unless they are including the numbers in with the XB1 version it looks like it has failed to get any traction on its original intended target.

I can't see Respawn being overly happy about this. It means the total market for TF has shrunk to just the tiny numbers the XB1 can provide.

Even if the 360 version takes off it just means that they should have concentrated on making the console version the only version.

Last edited by a moderator:
The weirdest thing about the Chart-track list is that the PC version of Titanfall doesn't even show up there. So unless they are including the numbers in with the XB1 version it looks like it has failed to get any traction on its original intended target.

I think it could be XB360 or combination of all. Check it out...

http://www.mcvuk.com/retail-biz/charts

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's XB360 version, after looking at some UK retailers and AmazonUK. The XB360 TF is the most likely one.

Speaking of that, XB1 TF bundle and game have fallen off both Amazon sites top sellers list, last night. However, it did returned to 19th place on US Amazon today.

Does your cousin live in the UK?

Nope. But I'm pretty sure, if Amazon US is releasing it early, it wouldn't stop others (AmazonUK) from doing it. This isn't nothing new... games get released early all the time.

So, it's XB360 TF version time to shine... isn't that a good thing?

I can't see Respawn being overly happy about this.
Yeah. Being a best selling, console moving title is a real bummer. Respawn must be pissed.

It means the total market for TF has shrunk to just the tiny numbers the XB1 can provide.
A potential 5 million buyers with a high uptake. Realistically, how many PC gamers are likely to buy this? One can't claim a billion PC's out there are potential customers.

Even if the 360 version takes off it just means that they should have concentrated on making the console version the only version.
Why? What are the sacrifices endured to make a PC version alongside the console? How would Respawn be better off with zero PC sales than whatever they had? Was the cost to port so crippling that it'll wipe out all profits from the XBox versions?

Nope. But I'm pretty sure, if Amazon US is releasing it early, it wouldn't stop others (AmazonUK) from doing it. This isn't nothing new... games get released early all the time.

So, it's XB360 TF version time to shine... isn't that a good thing?

You are so full of nonsense that I can't take it much longer. You have absolutely no proof again in your hand that Titanfall has released early in UK, yet it doesn't stop you from being "pretty sure" that the Titanfall in the chart nr2 is actually the X360 version...!?

Did you notice that the same chart you linked had Elder Scrolls online listed for Xbox One and PS4 and not on the PC?, when in fact it was just released on PC and the console versions will come in summer. Titanfall 360 is going to be released only this coming friday in the UK, but it makes sense to you that it was the second best selling game in the UK last week, because your cousin in US got a copy early... Your pretty sure about it. OK...

Yeah. Being a best selling, console moving title is a real bummer. Respawn must be pissed.
The reality is a lot (perhaps over half) of its sales are ppl get the game free when they buy a xbone, also which recently got a pricecut.
Due to this its hard to judge accurately what its true demand is.
Less than I thought, so Im gonna call it now.
TF 2 will have a single player game also. you heard it here first :)
I wouldnt be surprised if they ditch the source engine as well.
also xbone > ps4 in NPD this month

edit - WRT Respawn being overly happy about this.
I believe they would be.
A/ they would of gotten 50-100 million from MS so it doesnt appear on ps3/4
B/ MS have bundled it free thus get 100's of thousands of extra sales than what they would of gotten (though perhaps due to the bulkness respawn doesnt get fullprice)

so its a question of
A + B > ps4
A + B < ps4

hard to say either way

You are so full of nonsense that I can't take it much longer. You have absolutely no proof again in your hand that Titanfall has released early in UK, yet it doesn't stop you from being "pretty sure" that the Titanfall in the chart nr2 is actually the X360 version...!?

I'm pretty sure you're angry - for no reason. So calm down and relax. I just presented a link other than Rangers dealing with sales data. And as far as I know, MCV is a fairly accurate source.

Did you notice that the same chart you linked had Elder Scrolls online listed for Xbox One and PS4 and not on the PC?, when in fact it was just released on PC and the console versions will come in summer. Titanfall 360 is going to be released only this coming friday in the UK, but it makes sense to you that it was the second best selling game in the UK last week, because your cousin in US got a copy early... Your pretty sure about it. OK...

So there's no possibly of games ever being released early in the UK, other than the rest of the world? So, since that's the case (UK being above releasing things early). Then you're right. Got'cha.

I'm pretty sure you're angry - for no reason. So calm down and relax. I just presented a link other than Rangers dealing with sales data. And as far as I know, MCV is a fairly accurate source.

Well I'm actually dieting a bit, and perhaps it makes me a bit nastier than usually...

So there's no possibly of games ever being released in the UK, other than the rest of the world? So, since that's not the case (UK being above releasing things early). Then you're right. Got'cha.

Games leak from retailer or two every once in while. It's possible that some retailer in the UK has already leaked Titanfall 360 copy, but it is super unlikely that it has been leaked a week early to the extend that it would chart at nr2. I haven't seen any piece of information that someone, let alone huge chunk of people already have the game in hand in UK.

Two scenarios:

1) The hyped, bundled, and acclaimed killer app 'Tintanfall' for the Xbox One has dropped off the top 20 chart entirely from its number 3 spot, and been replaced at number 2 by the unreleased Titanfall for Xbox 360.

2) MVC typo'd, and put Xbox 360 instead of Xbox One.

One of these is more likely than the other.

Two scenarios:

1) The hyped, bundled, and acclaimed killer app 'Tintanfall' for the Xbox One has dropped off the top 20 chart entirely from its number 3 spot, and been replaced at number 2 by the unreleased Titanfall for Xbox 360.

2) MVC typo'd, and put Xbox 360 instead of Xbox One.

One of these is more likely than the other.

Or option 3 and 4?

3) MVC is using a combination of TF sales.

4) MVC could actually be accurate.

Or option 3 and 4?

3) MVC is using a combination of TF sales.

4) MVC could actually be accurate.
MCV can't be accurate without point 1 standing. And why would MCV show both SKU's combined yet label them only XB360 when other multiplatform titles have the sales combined? If you're willing to acknowledge that they include XB1 sales with their chart, you have to accept that they'd have made a mistake to exclude the XBOne label, and if MCV can make that mistake, they can also make the mistake of typing "Xbox 360" instead of "XBox One". We also have ChartTrack telling us TF on the XB1 has the number 2 slot also for single platform sales.

Pissed that they seem to have missed their original, intended, market. Quite probably. It has none of the market penetration that they got with MW even though it has been pushed harder.

A potential 5 million buyers with a high uptake. Realistically, how many PC gamers are likely to buy this? One can't claim a billion PC's out there are potential customers.

Why? What are the sacrifices endured to make a PC version alongside the console? How would Respawn be better off with zero PC sales than whatever they had? Was the cost to port so crippling that it'll wipe out all profits from the XBox versions?

On a single platform.

EA will be rubbing their hands if the $'s that MS paid them are sufficient to cover the loss of 2/3's of the market. Had they kept it as just a PC shooter it may been a far more advanced game than it has become. I also doubt that they would have stuck with Source if they had planned ahead for consoles.

The MVC "all platforms" chart comes from Chart Track also. It says so on the page. Here are the two Chart Track charts, direct from Chart Track.

Chart Track All platforms.
Chart Track All platforms.

MCV probably just made several mistakes when they tried to add the format data to the all platforms chart.

Xbox One Titanfall is number 2 on the individual formats chart from Chart Track, with Xbox 360 Titanfall nowhere in the top 40. And why should it be anywhere on the top 40? It hasn't been released yet.

This means that Titanfall at number 3 on the "all formats" chart from the very same Chart Track for the very same period is not the unreleased Xbox 360 version, and it is unlikely to be Xbox One plus the unreleased Xbox 360 game - which hasn't even hit the top 40. Because it isn't out yet.

Either way, Titanfall is ahead of ISS on the individual formats chart, and the gap is big enough that on the multiplatform charts there are two high profile many-platform games between them.

Tintanfall for Xbox One is selling well. It is a successful game.

Back