Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

We don't have any good screenshots yet, either ways I'd be more than surprised if the framebuffer has changed from what COD games have had since past 3 games.

I'm 99% sure that 95% of BO will be the same. I can see some slight engine tweaking maybe adding/improving SSAO/Motion Blur/lighting but that's as far as it goes.

Lens of Truth has a comparison gallery, looks like 2xMSAA for 360 and 2xQAA for PS3, some lighting differences, and the odd low-res texture on the PS3 version. The frame rate comparison will be much more important for this game.

The brightness settings across both platform seems to be messed up horribly, just like it was with MW2.

Also that particular window in the 3rd image seems to be the only area where there's some observable difference in texture quality, looking forward to the DF analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lens of Truth has a comparison gallery, looks like 2xMSAA for 360 and 2xQAA for PS3, some lighting differences, and the odd low-res texture on the PS3 version. The frame rate comparison will be much more important for this game.
To me it doesn't look like QAA. The washed out, overly bright image makes it look blurry. Textures seem to be the same for the most part, but some look low res on PS3 (like the shutters for example).

How hard is it to adjust the in-game brightness? :???:

edit: the motion shots near the bottom look blurrier on PS3.

The textures in the LoT-Faceoff might just be LoD or streaming issues, like MW2 where ps3 took longer to load. I'll just have to wait for the DF comparison with proper color levels and LoD comparisons.

No bloom in the PS3 version, can see this in capture 4 & 8.
Also 360 version gets the advantage in texture filtering, you can see this in the 8th capture as well, notice the gravel between the railroads.

I think the bloom is toned down on the ps3 version ever since MW2, now it's almost non existent in BO. The game is definitely 600p still and the lighting is as flat as ever.

I believe the lack of bloom in MW2 PS3 was a bug, you could see it only when there was something like tone mapping in effect (like the first 10 seconds of multiplayer matches were in grayscale, you could see it then but not during the actual gameplay).

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=24160

some more pics of Black Ops looks alot better on the 360

the shading inside the car seem to have very big differences in lighting
also seems that the shadow filtering has been vastly improved from MW2 check out the last pic

Last edited by a moderator:
the shading inside the car seem to have very big differences in lighting
Maybe because the car's moving.

EDIT: Ok that doesn't seems to be the case as the area seems to be like for like in both screenshots. perhaps there is some difference in lighting & shadowing.

With a treyarch game, I'd be more worried about framerate. WaW had severe issues with that esp in big team battle mode.

Have some notes I can share/clarify for the moment on Black Ops. DF will have the screenshot evidence and such.

To me it doesn't look like QAA.

Correct.

Textures seem to be the same for the most part, but some look low res on PS3 (like the shutters for example).
On 360, you can sometimes see a lower res texture, but it seems to be a streaming issue (they blend the mip levels similarly to Gears 2).

When you do see the lower res texture on PS3, it seems to just simply the case . It's just the odd texture once in a long while (like a patch detail on a uniform). They're otherwise effectively identical.

Lower res particles/alpha effects are used again on PS3 - there might be the odd time when you see some sorting issues from having to render to an off-screen buffer (they upscale it to the PS3's res to avoid further edge artifacting).

EDIT: Ok that doesn't seems to be the case as the area seems to be like for like in both screenshots. perhaps there is some difference in lighting & shadowing.

Strength of bloom and lighting can be different (probably the odd bug), but mostly the same . Shadows are higher res on 360. There's quite a bit of shadow acne on PS3 as well, and I believe that's due to an offset bias issue (not just being lower res).

I'd be more than surprised if the framebuffer has changed from what COD games have had since past 3 games.

All I can say for the moment is that there are changes to both SKUs, and they aren't the same changes either.

Welp, based on that shot, the PS3 edge indicates 540 vertical. The 360 is at a higher resolution than that (different, but not too far from 1024x600).

I'm still looking for longer stretches before I give anything more exact than that, but that's the gist of it.

Welp, based on that shot, the PS3 edge indicates 540 vertical. The 360 is at a higher resolution than that (different, but not too far from 1024x600).

I'm still looking for longer stretches before I give anything more exact than that, but that's the gist of it.
Are all PS3 shots 540p or just that particular one? Can't believe dynamic res changing is happening in COD games.

Back