Image Quality and Framebuffer Analysis for Available/release build Games *Read the first post*

Any updates? I have a friend who have encountered the same problems of the laggy fps in his ps3 fat and he have to sell the copy to the desperation.
I'm up to 2-1 and for most of the time it's running smooth and the motion blur helps to ease the small pauses which happened at times. The game has some real nasty looking water shaders and the lighting is sooo shiny it makes everything look unatural. Explosions and foliage looked awesome still and Category G Akrids were the real stars of this game.

Screen no 10. there seems to be a small difference in aliasing level between the two consoles....apparent on the two mechs....what's this ?

Screen no 10. there seems to be a small difference in aliasing level between the two consoles....apparent on the two mechs....what's this ?

visually i think no.10 there's a pretty significant difference, 6(foot rest) and 7(cannon) look alot more aliased but even then there is 2xMSAA in the 360 version.

but even then there is 2xMSAA in the 360 version.
There's 2*AA on 360 ? I thought it was no AA.
That's the reason I mentioned no 10 cause the 360 ver had smoother edges on some area of the mechs. In rest of the screen the aliasing level looks almost like to like to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is 2*MSAA then it looks as if its selective, there are quite a few edges where the aliasing level is just as much as in PS3 ver. ie. no AA

Just issues with the new lighting engine, no doubt. There are edges where the AA shades are very faint as well. "Selective MSAA" is getting to be a rather tedious name for it. Multiple samples are taken per pixel, it's just a matter of what rendering passes or post-process effects affect the result in the end.

I was going through the lists & noticed that its incorrect about GTA4 (PS3) having QAA & ME2 having the 'selective' UE3 2*MSAA [atleast the DF article agrees that AA is completely turned off in ME2]

I was going through the lists & noticed that its incorrect about GTA4 (PS3) having QAA & ME2 having the 'selective' UE3 2*MSAA [atleast the DF article agrees that AA is completely turned off in ME2]

There is MSAA in Mass Effect 2. Most of the shots sent to me at the time didn't show it, but after more examination (my own time) it's the same issue as with other games & lighting. Again, calling it selective AA is a pretty terrible descriptor.

QAA does exist in GTA4.

MazingerDude is hinting the PS3 version is sub HD, maybe as low as 540p. I wouldn't mind the same res as GTA4 as it seems the framerate is much more solid and image quality is improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be perfectly fine with 640p if I get some AA & a smooth framerate...not a similar case with 540p though.

EDIT: Wow, this looks so good:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5109/img20100516183425.jpg

That's a framebuffer grab from 360 ver, compare that to this offscreen shot from PS3 ver:
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6752/1050030.jpg

or this:
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3924/1050027.jpg

:|

The 360 shot is cleary a better capture, so i think better shots of the PS3 version needed. I did however count 5 more stars in the sky on 360.

Back