How many polygons do you think PGR3 is pushing?

Hardknock said:
WOW dude great synopsis!
Actually, it was a bunch of fluff. If you're sitting inside the car, you're not going to see anywhere near 40k polygons of interior in a frame. You might see a little more than half that in a showroom mode where you're actually looking at the interior, but then that would be taking up all the screen and there'd be nothing else to render. If you're expecting 10's of millions of polygons per frame in PGR3, you're way off. That's just sloppy programming (bad LOD, no culling, etc.), and the X360 is designed for devs to use a little more gracefully than that.

But this is how all these discussions about polys per frame are discussed. It's pointless to talk about how culling affects this number since it changes each frame, but when a developer says a game is pushing such and such polys they aren't subtracting culled polys.

ralexand said:
But this is how all these discussions about polys per frame are discussed. It's pointless to talk about how culling affects this number since it changes each frame, but when a developer says a game is pushing such and such polys they aren't subtracting culled polys.

Well actually it's all about how many polygons PER FRAME (like our friend like to capitalise it) there are.

Have you played around witht he settings in FarCry?

With default LOD on, the game never pushes more than 5-9 million polys per second (the figure per frame depends on what framerate you're running), and that's even with the insane amount of vegetation and long draw distance there is.

Taking the LOD off, the game can top the 50Million polys per second (which strangely enough doesn't really affect performance that much on a NV35). That's quite a big difference.

So i'm not saying X360 is not capable of pushing polygons in the region on 300M per second (like a NV35 can push 50M in farcry without too much trouble), the point here is that it's useless to have no LOD and draw every single polygon that's there. It's just a waste of resources you much better off use for pixel shading, especially on the Xenos where vertex and pixel shading need to share the same units on the GPU.

EDIT: And YES, when a developer talks about how many polygons per second he can push (which very rarely happens anyway) with his game, he means the polygons you see, after culling, it's useless to mention how many polygons he could be pushing if he didn't use LOD and culling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fafalada said:
If those spectators they've shown are 2-3k polys they need to fire the artist that modelled them.
Quoted for truth.
1K would be a maximum for them if good modellers designed them imo. 1.5K would still deserve a slight paycut. The GameMaster's figures are forgetting about LOD though; even if it isn't too aggressive (which I would hope it isn't next-gen, really), assuming full polygon count for 250 spectators is ridiculous. Same for the other kinds of objects of course. Still, interesting post, even though I don't agree with the final result for the above reasons and others.

Uttar

Fafalada said:
If those spectators they've shown are 2-3k polys they need to fire the artist that modelled them.

Whoa there partner:

726_0024.jpg

I know this is taken from a grainy trailer, but the models look fairly detailed to me. ;)

For comparision, Snake in MGS is made out of roughly 5k polygons.

I agree. 1,000 polygons seems like a much better estimate for the people in those crowds and even that is pushing it. The pic posted by Hardknock seems to confirm this mainly because most of the detail comes from textures and not the actual geometry itself.

Back