SEGA Developing MODEL 4 In Conjunction With Saarland University?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by TEXAN*, Jun 13, 2009.

1. TEXAN*

Banned

Found the following over at NeoGAF.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=365059

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Neogaf is quoting a dubious website. A website that's also being mentioned in conjunction with a new XB. Seems like a bunkem rumour-mill website trying to drum up hits, which its doing very well, and there's nothing really to discuss.

3. TEXAN*

Banned

But what if it's true?

Could you imagine the impact this would have?

If it's true, then when SEGA announces it you're not just going to hear it in the gaming press it'll be on every mainstream news broadcast on the planet from BBC to CNN.

Ray Tracing, fully interactive, in realtime, for the first time in history. It will cause shockwaves.

5,000+ news links over at google news. Easy.

4. I.S.T.

Veteran

It's not going to be true, that's the point. The site that posted it has little credibility, and the technical challenges it would have to overcome are at this point in time incredibly difficult to work around.

As a side note, didn't you used to have an old account here, TEXAN*? I recognize you from my lurking days several years ago.

5. Weaste

Newcomer

The entire idea of using a SPARC derivative in this makes it highly dubious in my opinion.

6. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Real-time raytracing isn't going to happen. If it is, that same level of performance could be directed into a standard scanline renderer and produce far better looking results! Ray-tracing is a niche technology with niche applications. For high-performance realtime graphics it's a long way from being a suitable alternative to traditional methods.

Given that their arcade hardwares to date have been generally mediocre spec, what possible reason is there to think they're going to buck the trend of a declining industry and created a new, pioneering technology showcase at considerable cost, instead of use cheap off-the-shelf PC parts?

7. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Interestingly enough Saarland University has been contacting research on Ray tracing hardware.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_tracing_(graphics)

If true then Saarland sounds like a good candidate for such a technology. If not then the rumor starter knows how to make rumors :razz:

8. TEXAN*

Banned

Yes, that would be me.

9. TEXAN*

Banned

#9 TEXAN*, Jun 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2009
  10. damienw

Regular

What if my unicorn can only eat the leaves of my gold tree and drink from my fountain of eternal youth?

11. obonicus

Veteran

Or he could search for published articles on 'raytracing hardware' and look at the authors -- you don't even need to read them, you just needs the abstracts.

12. Megadrive1988

Veteran

*the arcade market is not big enough to justify a massively powerful cutting-edge new arcade board. Especially not in this economy.

*real-time RayTracing via hardware probably has a long, LONG way to go before it's viable and practical for games. It's probably more than 2 years away, so beyond 2011, and well into the next decade.

*a Model4 board using conventional rasterisation was in development by LMC R3D in the 90s after Model3, but never came to light.

13. Tahir2

Veteran

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/articles/94/

People should read the article above by Dean Calver before making stupid specs about Raytracing.

I was doing raytracing on my ATARI 520ST in the early 90's... its kinda old already unless you like shiny chocolate bouncing balls.

#13 Tahir2, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2009
  14. RudeCurve

Banned

Sony Visualizer was to be a raytracer?

15. Thowllly

Regular

You mean, for the 428th time in history or something? Nothing new, nothing too exciting...

16. Akumajou

Regular

If and I will humor you, if it is true then Sega indeed is the head cheerleader of stupid decisions and wasting of money and wasting of time.

Sega could have partnered with Sony back in 2005 to use the Playstation 3 hardware and made far earlier claims than Guerrilla Games on using xxx% performance of CellBE, spus, RSX, defferred rendering proprietary software, ram pool, even BR to HDD performance and the gigabit network performance because Sega has always had the reputation to do something like that...

Instead of taking the Microsoft Direct X programming reliance, dependence it has taken with their Lindbergh, to Ringedge crap arcade hardware that is holding their programmers back.

17. grandmaster

Veteran

The whole notion is a complete nonsense for one very simple reason, and it isn't even technical. There isn't a market in the arcades any more capable of sustaining this level of hardware for the amount of revenue it will generate.

The lion's share of any revenue an arcade game generates comes from the home versions on console. So why bother creating a bespoke hardware completely incompatible with home hardware?

RingEdge simply bears this out.

18. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

Good point! SEGA's creations will need to be readily portable, and a completely alien renderer doesn't facilitate that.

19. nbohr1more

Newcomer

My useless 2 cents: The Pong (or maybe something beyond Pong) arcade game essentially created the Arcade phenomenon by offering a device that was not available to home consumers. If a company felt there was an opportunity to produce something that is radically different from what is available to home consumers they could postulate an Arcade rebirth. SEGA would be the most likely company in this bizarre scenario as they are one of the last arcade hold-outs with their novelty controller games (Fire Fighting etc). It would also be suitably Japanese (a slow smoldering plan that defies conventional corporate motives: See the rebirth of SNK)... Not that I lend much credence to the idea... But compelling nonetheless...

20. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

That is a valid speculation. The rumour should tie them into a 3D holographic display though, to get that 'new experience' that won't translate to the home environment ;)