Here we go again... - Howard Stringer

And why open a thread about it when you don't agree with him, and know it's all PR talk which will make this thread end up in flames?

I like how just the cell processor has more power, actually twice the power than the whole xbox360 system, throught in there the RSX and thoe whole PS3 syste should eclipse the power of 360 by 4-5x...

Well in theoretical peak specs on paper it is true at least. More interesting is the interest the CEO of all Sony is showing in PS3. This shows, in my mind, a more company wide approach to technlogy then the previous segmented divisions. Sony are looking to focus on pushing their key techs across domains, leveraging resources from one part of the company to aid another and vice versa. Kudos to Stringer for seeing that's needed, and for Sony's sake he needs to succeed.

london-boy said:
And why open a thread about it when you don't agree with him, and know it's all PR talk which will make this thread end up in flames?

Because I'm tired of it. I really wonder if it does 'm any good too.

And it wasn't meant as a flamebait post thingy...

Shifty Geezer said:
Kudos to Stringer for seeing that's needed, and for Sony's sake he needs to succeed.

Well that's true of course. But I wonder if they get any credit by doing it this way.

I don't think it's good for their image (although it didn't hurt them in the DC era) and it sounds like they're really worried.

IMHO.

Shifty Geezer said:
Well in theoretical peak specs on paper it is true at least. More interesting is the interest the CEO of all Sony is showing in PS3. This shows, in my mind, a more company wide approach to technlogy then the previous segmented divisions. Sony are looking to focus on pushing their key techs across domains, leveraging resources from one part of the company to aid another and vice versa. Kudos to Stringer for seeing that's needed, and for Sony's sake he needs to succeed.

They both have 3.2 Ghz processors, both have 512MB of ram, both have SM 3(with Xbox 360 having the slight edge in features here), both have state of the art GPUs. The only spec on paper that Sony could be twice as powerful in is Floating Point. And having more Floating Points on Cell does not "twice the processing power of Xbox 360" make.

hey69 said:
what DID you expect him to say ?

Xbox2 is really the market leader because they are first out with similar specs to ours, and I wish PS3 had such an innovative interface as Revolution. Damn, I wish Ken thought of that. :LOL:

Hardknock said:
They both have 3.2 Ghz processors, both have 512MB of ram, both have SM 3(with Xbox 360 having the slight edge in features here), both have state of the art GPUs. The only spec on paper that Sony could be twice as powerful in is Floating Point. And having more Floating Points on Cell does not "twice the processing power of Xbox 360" make.
It's a soundbite. Of course we educated types know the fullness of what the statement means and don't take it at face value. Yes it's PR marketting, but it's also true from the limited perspective of only talking about the processors float performance. He could have clarified his statement, but you won't catch a PR spokesman clarifying his statements ever. Better to say 'we have twice as much...' then 'we have twice as much, in certain conditions, when the wind's behind us and you only use this feature.' And seeing as Stringer's talking about Cell it's implied, at least IMO, he's talking processing, not system power. It's not a right statement, but neither is it the worst PR statement ever, nor a totally unsubstantiated lie. All PR guys are going to make such claims (3x the integer performance anyone?) and if you're going to complain about them, you'll be complaining on every PR statement ever released (save Nintendo's it seems!). I can't see any point in criticising this average sweeping statement when it's nothing worse that the usual par-for-the-course remark. Anyone wanting to complain about PR can visit the various PR threads that have been on this forum and see every remark that could be made having already made. Why keep visiting the same ground over and over? Ignoring the PR fluff, the talk of looking at Sony's wider strategy is the only info of merit and the only part woirth paying attention to.

The CEO of Sony saying the PS3 is more powerful that its competitors. Wow, how shocking. Yes its PR, but I believe that its PR that even he believes. After sinking so much money , and from what I've heard they plan to invest even more on Cell, he has to believe in it.

Hardknock said:
Actually PS3 only has one 3.2 Ghz processor, while Xbox 360 has Three 3.2 Ghz processors. ;)

they removed the SPUs ?
and no ,ps3 has 2 1,6 ghtz processor.
PPu=2 *1,6ghtz(1,6ght +25% 3,2) ,xcpu =3,2 ghtz +(25% 3,2ghtz+25% 3,2ghtz) ,ain'it ?

*just for funny confusion*

london-boy said:
:LOL: It probably stops playing when it feels like it, go into sulk-mode and doesn't respond to your inputs for a while, until you say "please". At which point it will just snap and go "TALK TO THE CONTROLLER".

lmao

Platon said:
I like how just the cell processor has more power, actually twice the power than the whole xbox360 system, throught in there the RSX and thoe whole PS3 syste should eclipse the power of 360 by 4-5x...

Is this meant to be sarcastic or are you serious?

Back