Heavy Rain: New Screenshots and development footage*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am stooked for this, but the same time I am afraid it might end up to similar to those old LaserDisc based games, Space Ace and Dragons Lair. Which had great graphics, but limited gameplay value, at least I thought so :)

Not sure about this. Gameplay looks good and I like where they are taking it...but the sound mix seems a bit dodgy and makes the voice-acting feel place-holder. Also the animation doesn't seem...too in to it. I think it's a problem with the motion capture - the character's don't really look like they want to hurt each other in the fight, only that they're acting that their fighting.

Completely dissapointed. Graphics look substantially worse than they did at Leipzig.
Voice acting and dialogue is poor, framerate is poor, movements seem jerky and unnatural at times. Frankly, the junkyard scene looks like apalling shit compared to the taxidermist stuff.

Completely dissapointed. Graphics look substantially worse than they did at Leipzig.
Voice acting and dialogue is poor, framerate is poor, movements seem jerky and unnatural at times. Frankly, the junkyard scene looks like apalling shit compared to the taxidermist stuff.

That's a bit far. I think the graphics look exactly the same, but with different lighting. Have you seen the club footage with Madison from the first gameplay?

Upercieved graphical quality changes with changes in lighting. Switching to less advanced\sophisticated lighting models can seriously alter a games percieved graphical quality.

Graphics aren't the same, if they have a different lighting models. Changes in this can result in big differences in the overall impression of the graphical quality.

Upercieved graphical quality changes with changes in lighting. Switching to less advanced\sophisticated lighting models can seriously alter a games percieved graphical quality.

Graphics aren't the same, if they have a different lighting models. Changes in this can result in big differences in the overall impression of the graphical quality.

I thought it was just because that scene was in a different area - ie. night time and in that warehouse. The lighting looks on par with the in-door scenes from the original gameplay trailer. Also there's new footage of outdoor scenes in the Gametrailers blowout, which looks as good as the original gameplay.

Lighting model is actually much better, a lot of things are much more advanced in this build and some shaders are more complex too.If downgrade there is, then it's just artistically (most lighting systems are artist driven BTW, and this one even more than most ).

I agree with animation problems ,poor VA ,and would add weird directing ,and bad camera work.

I'm a little worried about the game changing paths if a character dies (and ending all together if all 4 die). I'm the type of player that is going to want to see everything the game offers, I wont be content with missing a thread of the story.

I'm a little worried about the game changing paths if a character dies (and ending all together if all 4 die). I'm the type of player that is going to want to see everything the game offers, I wont be content with missing a thread of the story.
Then play the game again? Theres no rule you dont consider a death as gameover and start at the last save either.

Whats interesting is that a dead of 1 character could totally change the path of the others. Probably not a likely assumption, since the costs of creating many totally different paths would be insane.
In the worst case the character just dies(kinda like in Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit where 1 main character has the choice to leave or not)... without any significant side effects. Which would be practically mean Heavy Rain is 4 seperate episodes mixed into 1 package.

Exactly these questions are what I would like to get answered, how a death affects the game (except just cutting scenes away and maybe some short dialogue-changes), and how "open" the game stays through the whole story.
Since comparing to Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit is easiest: That game had a few great scenes right at the beginning(first 5 or so), where your actions greatly affected other scenes. Then it was just a totally linear adventure( and some additional self-containes "quests" like making yourself a coffee) with Action-sequences replacing everything else towards the end. If Heavy Rain manages to stay like those first 5 sequences through the whole game it would be the best thing since sliced bread, Fahrenheit just feels like it ended after those scenes.

What worries me the most is that all the choices you can make actually effect the story very little. A character dying might sound like a big deal, but if there is very little interaction between the 4 maincharacters, it wouldn't change much. Only that characters storyline ending there.

Fahrenheit (Indigo prophecy) had the same problem with your choices only creating illusion of have a large effect on the story, when in reality your tied to several fixed points within the storyline. I'm not really convinced they can make a hugely complex storyline while allowing players to have a tangible effect on all the major events.

Edit: I need to type faster so I don't repeat what others are saying. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
What worries me the most is that all the choices you can make actually effect the story very little. A character dying might sound like a big deal, but if there is very little interaction between the 4 maincharacters, it wouldn't change much. Only that characters storyline ending there.

Fahrenheit (Indigo prophecy) had the same problem with your choices only creating illusion of have a large effect on the story, when in reality your tied to several fixed points within the storyline. I'm not really convinced they can make a hugely complex storyline while allowing players to have a tangible effect on all the major events.

Maybe we're looking at something like a madlibs conclusion? Get player decisions/deaths and just plug in the results, sort of like how Fallout games would do their ending.

I thought it was just because that scene was in a different area - ie. night time and in that warehouse. The lighting looks on par with the in-door scenes from the original gameplay trailer. Also there's new footage of outdoor scenes in the Gametrailers blowout, which looks as good as the original gameplay.

I dunno, i thought you said that they changed the lighting model. I was just replying on a general level, not regarding HR specifically.

Maybe we're looking at something like a madlibs conclusion? Get player decisions/deaths and just plug in the results, sort of like how Fallout games would do their ending.

Only problem with that is that in Fallout they had the liberty of just using text to describe all the effects of your choices.

I'm not sure today's console gamers would be satisified with that. And with 4 characters that could either be dead or alive by the time the game ended, if each of those deaths could possibly impact the game and thus the ending in a significant way, that's way more endings than it would be possible to script out for an ending cinematic.

And that's not even taking into account whether character decisions are actually meaningful in the game or not.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back