Heavenly Sword update (E3 cometh..)

avaya said:
New video of the backgrounds (waterfall...)

http://www.playsyde.com/news_3011_en.html

Credit: TTP @ GAF.

Apparently this is realtime, if it is it looks very nice, very impressive! One of the most beautiful games I have ever seen.

Oh my god~~~

Besides the technical aspects (real time ?), NT seems to have captured the style and ambience of old Chinese movie settings very well. It's really very very different from zombies, aliens, mafias, hell, and JRPGs. Very refreshing :D

mckmas8808 said:
Very refreshing indeed. Not that anything is wrong with alien and zombie games.

:) Ok. I just need a vacation from aliens and zombies I guess.

When I get this game, I think I'll just clear out an area, leave the bosses alone and have a virtual picnic in some nice spot. The music is soothing too :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Although this game looks visually amazing, nothing is better than women in skimpy clothing wielding two sabres killing horde after horde of enemies, it lacks blood, therefore in my opinion it lacks any real tangible sense of realism. The best part of games similar to this, ie Ninja Gaiden, was the fact that you were mindlessly eviscerating baddies in an explosion of internal fluids. Nothing gave me more satisfaction than launching enemies meters away after slicing through them like a hot knife in butter.

I curse the day Medal of Honor made a trend out of dust as a ideal replacement for blood.

Yeah, I do hope Dean and the gang put in a 'blood on' option; blood seemed 'missing' for me as well when I played it.

blakjedi said:
Stylistically they look the same. Graphically... nah but they are still a cut above most of what is and will currently be available
Looks exactly the same to me :???:

I have a feeling they might be aiming for a Teen rating? If it's anything like movies (PG13 vs R), Teen rated games probably sell better on average... at least in the states, not sure about other countries.

If that's their aim, then I'd say keep the blood out. I didn't mind the lack of it, and didn't even realize it until someone mentioned it.

wco81 said:
Blood is so Mortal Kombat on the Genesis.

What was that, 15 years ago?

I guess if you want your blood as 2d textures! take a look at gears, bloody goodness everywhere. With the new ability for fluid dynamics, we're just getting started :devilish:

i don't mind the lack of blood in HS though, not really that type of game, seems more light-hearted.

I was thinking more the blood like in God of War - the two even seem akin on a level in that respect. But I mean, if there's no blood, that's certainly not going to change anything for me and the game.

What would be the practical way to do blood?

Wouldn't it have to constantly accumulate?

What other things would you have to give up for blood?

Fewer enemies? Maybe slower framerate? Maybe other details like the particles or dust that seems prevalent?

wco81 said:
What would be the practical way to do blood?

Wouldn't it have to constantly accumulate?

What other things would you have to give up for blood?

Fewer enemies? Maybe slower framerate? Maybe other details like the particles or dust that seems prevalent?

They may be giving up 400,000 unit sells if they go for a 'M' rating.

I just don't think blood works in with the whole "look" of the game. It's got this kind of airy, fairy tale look to it even though it's a relatively violent game. I just think it would be jarring to see spurting blood in that kind of environment.

Using blood would definitely land HS on the index in Germany leading to very few sales in that market.

creon100 said:
I just don't think blood works in with the whole "look" of the game. It's got this kind of airy, fairy tale look to it even though it's a relatively violent game. I just think it would be jarring to see spurting blood in that kind of environment.

I agree with this. Blood is an uncessary component,is rarely done right and looks out of place in most games

Maybe some sort of other effect can be employed to substitute for the blood component of the action.

Yeah, blood is ok but not groundbreaking. Just focus on even better animation than what we have now, or more varied/detailed interaction with the environment (e.g., wind effect, wider range of emotional/desparate/angry reaction, cricket sound, broken cups, flying chopsticks, cracking chairs and tables, more realistic cries, more personal moves like protagonist pull out her hanky to wipe her sweat off, ... blah blah.).

Make it so that no one can come even close for 1 or more years. NT's name will be written in the history of gaming thereafter. Focus, focus. :D

Back