Heavenly Sword update (E3 cometh..)

Alstrong said:
Question: What's the story behind HS :?:

That what I want to know also, sofar it's just a good looking hack and slash. if it has some type of story I would like to hear about it.

Alstrong said:
Question: What's the story behind HS :?:

King invades country..

King's army comes into village, kills everyone, one girl survives..

Girl goes on a quest for vengeance, finds the heavenly sword..

Said sword is ultra-powerful, but wielding it is slowly killing the girl..

Girl goes after invading King..

That's the gist of it, I think! The story is supposed to be centered around the sword, and may span multiple games.

pegisys said:
That what I want to know also, sofar it's just a good looking hack and slash. if it has some type of story I would like to hear about it.
You play a girl who's village was wiped out by an evil king. You take up the Heavenly Sword, which no mortal should wield, and thus condmn yourself to only two days of life. But you set out to kill the evil king before the two days are up.

That's an interesting story, so the sword is the main focus of any sequel not the heroine.

It would have been good to create a character that can live past the first episode, or maybe there is a twist where the curse can be removed.

This game looks great though and should be lots of fun.

Speng.

Yes perhaps the girl doesn't die. Let's just hope the if she doesn't NT doesn't go all "Prince of Persia 2" rock and roll badass on us for the sequal character changes.:???:

Titanio said:
King invades country..

That's the gist of it, I think! The story is supposed to be centered around the sword, and may span multiple games.
that's conan but with a cool looking girl ^^

creon100 said:
I just don't think blood works in with the whole "look" of the game. It's got this kind of airy, fairy tale look to it even though it's a relatively violent game. I just think it would be jarring to see spurting blood in that kind of environment.

Actually in many ways it feels a lot like 'Hero', 'Crouching Tiger' and perhaps 'House of Flying Daggers' has an effect too. The recent target render video even had music that reminded me of Tan Dun's compositions from these movies. Now in terms of visuals, there isn't a lot of blood in these films, even though quite a few deaths happen.

The character design in HS is rather comic-book like, though - huge muscled guys with over-the-top weapons and their movement has more brutality than elegance. But it might be a hard sell with truly oriental designs and wouldn't look much different from stuff like Onimusha or Dinasty Warriors...?

Titanio said:
King invades country..

Does story matter much in this type of game. Did the story help sell God of War or the graphics and fast gameplay?

Maybe HS should have some simlated sex mini-games. :p

wco81 said:
Does story matter much in this type of game. Did the story help sell God of War or the graphics and fast gameplay?

Now wait I thought we were here saying how avoiding an M rating would be to the games benefit rather than detriment. ;)

I think *if* (IF ! ) NT has solved the technical hurdles so far ahead, it has time and potential to push the genre envelope, and explore cross-genre elements.

It would be a waste if, according to the HS slides, they capture facial expressions, deliver emotions, introduce in-game drama elements such as dynamic music and yet has no story.

Come on, we are talking about Nariko's sacrifice and her lost cause. I bet the "evil" king who look not so damning, has his own ideals too :). There must be a short and sweet 2-day-long story somewhere. :devilish:

Hopefully, it will set itself apart from mindless hack-n-slash game that plague Dynasty Warrior and Onimusha. As it stands right now, the art style and overall approach is very different. I do hope the enemies are more varied.

patsu said:
Hopefully, it will set itself apart from mindless hack-n-slash game that plague Dynasty Warrior and Onimusha. As it stands right now, the art style and overall approach is very different. I do hope the enemies are more varied.

I hope that also, I don't go for the mindless hack-n-slash games much, but this one has some appeal

thanks for the plot points

wco81 said:

Yes the story really did help that game. Just read forums on the internet that we trying to figure out what God of War II was going to be about.;)

And like someone else already said, get that facial expression down pat and putting HS in such a beautiful setting has to envolve a good story. If not then HS loses.

It seems alot of people LOVED Heavenly Sword.:smile:

Next-Gen's Top 10 Playable Games of E3

10. Crackdown
09. Crysis
08. Every Extend Extra
07. Wii Sports
06. Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam
05. Children of Mana
04. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
03. Lost Planet
02. Guitar Hero II
01. Heavenly Sword

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3023&Itemid=2&limit=1&limitstart=1

Gamepro's 10 most drool-worthy upcoming games

10. Spore
09. Stranglehold
08. Crysis
07. Assassin's Creed
06 Eight Days
05. FFXIII
04. MGS4
03. Gears of War
02. Bioware
01. Heavenly Sword

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/55528.shtml

Heavenly Sword does indeed exceeds next gen expectations. There is one drawback - 30fps. If NT wants to show the world that Western dev can make an action game as good as the East, then make it 60fps.

fireshot said:
Heavenly Sword does indeed exceeds next gen expectations. There is one drawback - 30fps. If NT wants to show the world that Western dev can make an action game as good as the East, then make it 60fps.

Isn't God of War already 60fps?

Ye..yeah. But what does GOW have anything to do with Heavenly Sword? GOW may be 60fps but it is not as good as the best from the East - NG and DMC. That opinion has nothing to do with Heavenly Sword either. :D

Back