Heavenly Sword update (E3 cometh..)

fireshot said:
Heavenly Sword does indeed exceeds next gen expectations. There is one drawback - 30fps. If NT wants to show the world that Western dev can make an action game as good as the East, then make it 60fps.
It is? :oops:

I didnt even notice. It doesnt look like it.

fireshot said:
Ye..yeah. But what does GOW have anything to do with Heavenly Sword? GOW may be 60fps but it is not as good as the best from the East - NG and DMC. That opinion has nothing to do with Heavenly Sword either. :D

oh. OH :devilish: .

I don't know. I think its a pretty good game that stands up fine against the heavy weights :)

It's 30fps?!? That explains why I've always had this weird "rough around the edges" feeling when looking at the videos, and have actually wondered why all the praise on animation and graphics.
While they're very very good, to me they always lacked that something many other games had.
I guess I'm just one of those sensitive to framerate. I do hope they'll be able to pump the framerate up.

HS E3 playable demo has not a fixed frame rate, it's running > 30 fps 99.9% of the time, rarely it approaches 45-50 fps.

Side note, but will you guys be updating your own Heavenly Sword section of your site soon? :p

You should try to get Sony to let you put up new shots, from a newer build, than those released around E3. The E3 build itself was already looking better, it'd be nice to see it exactly as it is now :) Are the politics of screenshot selection and release really that complex with Sony PR? :LOL: ;)

Are you running without vertical sync? If so could that be an option for those that want to avoid tearing? I'd rather have fixed 30 than a variable higher framerate.

And yes to Titanio's request. I just visited Ninja Theory and thought the look is now cleaner, there's no screenshots from the original ones!

Shifty Geezer said:
Are you running without vertical sync? If so could that be an option for those that want to avoid tearing? I'd rather have fixed 30 than a variable higher framerate.
No vsync at the moment but the game is not finished yet..you know :)

If you can keep it smooth and consistent, that'd be the icing on the cake! I know some people don't seem to mind so much, but in some games I can't get over the low frame rate, while others I can't get over the ranges in speed. No matter how good a game looks graphically, the moment the frame rate gets too low or variable it just ruins it for me. They just strike me as...shoddy I guess is the word I'd use. For me, console gaming is (supposed to be) all about keeping the smooth gameplay, and I lament the changes towards eyecandy over refresh rate that seem to have become more prevalent over the years. Especially in shooters. Sometimes framerates are so poor it's hard to keep tabs on what's happening.

Would it be correct to assume that the E3 demo of HS (and all other PS3 playable demos for that matter) was running from the HDD installed and not from the BD-ROM drive at all?

I read somewhere on B3D that the Motorstorm (I think it was Motorstorm) update was FTP-ed to the show (from somewhere way off site) on the 2nd day so I'd assumed the games weren't running off the usual media.

Edit: It was Warhawk (relevant especially in this games case because of the implementation of the tilt control) - Thanks Shifty!
Edit No. 2: I think maybe I was thinking about the OS updates - the web browser shown etc... - Thanks to Bad_Boy too!
Edit No. 3: Thanks to XBD for reassuring me that I didn't just make something up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot where I read it, but the playable games on the show-floor run off rack-mounted dev-kits that can be updated (nightly) by the developers over the net. You can actually see 'em on the show floor. So the games should be on the hard disk me thinks. Cool huh ?

The presentations in the 8 (?) demo rooms run off "retail" PS3 boxes

slider said:
I read somewhere on B3D that the Motorstorm (I think it was Motorstorm) update was FTP-ed to the show (from somewhere way off site) on the 2nd day so I'd assumed the games weren't running off the usual media.
Dunno about MotorStorm, but WarHawk was updated daily by downloads which is how they were able to tweak the motion control the night before showing.

Yeah as well with the interface demo. One day the web browser was disabled, the next day they were showing it off.

slider said:

Edit: It was Warhawk (relevant especially in this games case because of the implementation of the tilt control) - Thanks Shifty!
I think I was thinking about the OS updates - the web browser shown etc... - Thanks to Bad_Boy too!

Yeah, the new Motorstorm build arrived overnight at the show, you are correct.

Darn... and it was the game I wanted to purchase at launch... but I understand... it's better to wait when the game is ready then playing a game that was rushed :)

New Screenshot

hsnew28tx.jpg

The original is at SCEE's PS3 site:

http://eu.playstation.com/ps3/images/hs_hd_2.jpg

Though the above was rendered out at 1920x1080, the Edge preview specifically captions this as being in-game, and you can see aliasing etc. so that is believable (compared to some of the targets that were released).

Some of those jaggies look like they're upscaled to me, such as the leftmost edge of the left tower. These aren't the crisp single-pixel jaggies associated with native resolution renders. But that might be the result of a blurring/soften filter. And though it does look very nice, I was instantly drawn to the dodgy shadows on the right tower protrusions. There's a gap between the beams and their shadows. I know, I'm being picky, but when you're that good overall, those little problems start to stick out. ;)

Back