Heavenly Sword update (E3 cometh..)

I dont trust any screen of PS3 to be realtime unless I see a character or a hud, and sometimers not even then (8 days?)

We've been down this road.

sonyps35 said:
I dont trust any screen of PS3 to be realtime unless I see a character or a hud, and sometimers not even then (8 days?)

We've been down this road.

You can't blame Ninja Theory though, their E3 23006 playable demo matched their E3 2005 target renders very well.

But why don't you ask them yourself?
http://www.ninjatheory.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3

Also watch out for nAo on these forums, as he's a dev there.

For something really interesting. This is known to be an environment target render, and in motion. This is their most ambitious stuff so far, I think. Will be interesting to see how close they'll be able to get.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=3100

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps nAo or Deano will clarify its status. NT has been open about confirming what is what before.

But the Edge preview does caption it as an in-game environment, and comparing it to the known target renders before, there is visible aliasing and some other hints at in-engine-ness (like perhaps the cloth texturing).

NANOTEC said:
What's so special in that screenshot that says it cannot be realtime?

Without the aid of the full resolution shot, when I first saw it in the mag I had to think twice as to whether it could be in-engine or not. It's probably the most impressive shot they've released if it is realtime - it is gorgeous, and even - yes - dare I say it, a little bit special.

I have to agree with PC-Eng... NANOTEC here.
That shot is not the most impressive there is for Heavenly Sword.
At least when glanced just quickly, it looks a bit dull and short on detail.
Edit: I checked the full resolution shot from the link, and while there's a lot of detail that's missing in the downscaled pic, I'm still not impressed.
On the other hand, I'm very impressed by that environment video. If that's realtime then I'm awesomed!!!

I thought nice in design, but it wasn't anything gobsmacking IMO. Especially when you look at the plants that look like 2D billboarded objects, especially given the lighting across the leaves that's uniform per plant regardless of position. Look at the bushes to left and right of the tower/arena/building thingy. On both they have a pale crown on the leaf edges. For the plants in shadow on the right they look superimposed to me, not blending with the rest of the lighting. Obviously it'll look a lot better in motion with a camera swinging round and the cloth moving and whatnot. But this shot doesn't impress me as much as others they've shown.

Edit :
For something really interesting. This is known to be an environment target render, and in motion. This is their most ambitious stuff so far, I think. Will be interesting to see how close they'll be able to get.

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=3100
No, I don't think that's a target environment render. Well, it's not a realtime render anyway.

Tameem said:
It's a previs render (we made that clear at the presentation).

A previs is a target render. I know...I know... But the one you saw was not ever meant to be shown to the public. It is a tool we use a lot to try and set a target for us to reach. We usually meet or exceed them. This one is particularly beautiful. Let's see what happens...
smile.gif
So you can't look at that as any indicator of what HS is doing. It's what they hope to do, a render created to help with visualising what the end product should look like. There's plenty of other realtime footage to look at though to see what they are achieving!

Shifty Geezer said:
I thought nice in design, but it wasn't anything gobsmacking IMO. Especially when you look at the plants that look like 2D billboarded objects, especially given the lighting across the leaves that's uniform per plant regardless of position. Look at the bushes to left and right of the tower/arena/building thingy. On both they have a pale crown on the leaf edges. For the plants in shadow on the right they look superimposed to me, not blending with the rest of the lighting. Obviously it'll look a lot better in motion with a camera swinging round and the cloth moving and whatnot. But this shot doesn't impress me as much as others they've shown.

I'm not addressing it strictly from a technical perspective, but between that, the scale, the style, the artistry, it's my personal fave to date at least :p

It's nice but how do you play in that? Do you climb the hills and fight among them? Is it some sort of background? How does it fit with the tournament fighting shown at e3? Do you battle an enemy army instead there while traveling forward?

That is why I dont like such shots that are not clearly gameplay because you cannot really judge the game.

Shifty Geezer said:
Edit :
No, I don't think that's a target environment render. Well, it's not a realtime render anyway.

Kind of nice how you say that, and then go on to quote the HS guy who says it's a target render.

So you can't look at that as any indicator of what HS is doing. It's what they hope to do, a render created to help with visualising what the end product should look like. There's plenty of other realtime footage to look at though to see what they are achieving!

Yes. However, he did still say that they usually meet or exceed their target renders. This one is especially striking and beautiful, and he indicates that this one is going to be a challenge.

All matching exactly what I said.

Looking at target renders as what to see in game is a bit futile. We have in game shots and we can discuss in game shots. There's no need to look at target renders, especially when they weren't intended for public release. It reminds me of Fight Night. When we were getting XB360 images, people were seeing what the XB360 game was going to look like in those, and not looking at EA's target renders believing they were going to be in game.

Now I'm not arguing whether NT will ot will not achieve those targets, or even that they were aiming for exactly those targets - it could be they were artistic targets to achieve that style, not resource targets. My point is that to date we've been discussing what NT are achieving with the engine based on real-time screenies and footage. I don't see any point in referencing target renders, confirmed not in realtime engine (apprently not in engine at all?), which may or may not represent the final visuals. Rather than pointing to renders as 'look what NT are doing', renders which have no technical merit, point to the impressive in-game visuals to show what NT are really doing!

This is a beautiful game. I'm a pretty huge X360 fan and plan on sticking with it for the time being, but games like this make me see a PS3 in my future at some point. Maybe when they can be had for $300 US or so. It seems like this along with Resistance and Motorstorm are the three showcase titles for the PS3 launch window.

ok

Titanio said:
hsnew28tx.jpg

The original is at SCEE's PS3 site:

http://eu.playstation.com/ps3/images/hs_hd_2.jpg

Though the above was rendered out at 1920x1080, the Edge preview specifically captions this as being in-game, and you can see aliasing etc. so that is believable (compared to some of the targets that were released).

To me this shot is good but not amazing like E3 2006 Heavenly Sword video. My friend who say shadow is not perfect is correct and I think this is always difficult to have perfect shadow touching character in all scenes. Also, building wall has no so much detail and there is not so much transparent grass bitmap. Xbox360 and PS3 have no game with too much transparent bitmap, always not enough for all videos and games I have see, even Oblivion. But I see old game on PS2 has this no problem. I think best features for Heavenly sword is amazing details, lighting and shadows for all characters (also self-shadow) and also for real-time environment like floor details. Animation is also really amazing for body and also for hair and clothes. But this building and hill screenshot is not so amazing for my taste.

I think the image Titanio posted might have more into the scene than the image shows you. It seems to have a massive sense of scale. What would it look like if the camera moved more to the left? Would you see more of that brick walkway/staircase?

Would you see sights like this concept art contains if the camera were to zoom out...
http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/50621420060620_012549_12_big.jpg

If you go inside that structure, would you see things like this?...
http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/50621420060620_013151_2_big.jpg

if so, is it all seamless or w/ minimal loading?

If the camera were to turn around, would you see the other parts of the pathway looking as such?...
http://www.jeux-france.com/Webmasters/Images/50621420060620_012555_25_big.jpg

I think we may be too critical on things we really are not sure on yet. To me the image has a huge sense of scale that we might not know about. And if the scene is indeed some huge area then I would find that image very impressive. If we learned from the past, the orginal area from the 06 e3 presentation was just infact a small peice of a large level that they did not show. And look at the detail that the area contained.

Not sure if my rant makes any sense (kinda hard to put into words), but what I'm trying to say is that I think we really dont know the half of it, and the fact that it looks this good so far with atleast 6-7 more months of development is also bulletpoint that seems to be ignored. Either way, it's truly a beautiful game whether or not you appreciate it technically.

YES! I would say look for it around March timeframe. Sony likes to put out a lot of games in March to make their quarterly earnings like as good as possible. I also think that's when their fiscal year is over too.

So I'm expecting it at the end of March.

Since when was March included in "launch window"? I hope this game comes out before the end of the year personally.

Back