Heavenly Sword pre E3 hype?

DeanoC said:
london-boy said:
I have to ask.

Deano, what hair colour stuff did you use for the girl? Cause that is one bright red. L'Oreal? Are you worth it? Cause i am.

All down to our Special Effects :)

(In case that pun is too obscure, Special Effects is a brand of 'punk' hair dyes)

Subliminal messages huh... :devilish: A punk martial arts heroine, that's quite something.

^^

Err it's really quite simple.... click on "quote" and just write your message after the end of the quote (which would be the [/quote] bit.

Alternatively, you can build your own quote (as long as you quote exactly the same thing the guy wrote), by including the text between
name of the guy said:

Xenus said:
Deano are you saying its only running on the PPE? damn it I wish i knew how to quote. :cry:

We haven't yet made the jump to a multi-thread game architeture yet. Almost everything sits on a single thread...

If you're saying all that's happening without the SPE's help, I'm gonna be sick. That's just TOO much, man!

Quaz51 said:
same the first seconds with the face are in real time?

Actually the face is the only rendered thing in the demo, its uses our high-end model (used for the surface extraction) rendering in Maya and composited onto the in-game background. We were orignally intending to do it in-engine as well, but there just wasn't time to implement all the tech for a closeup (we don't have facial animation system at this moment).

The other closeup of her face (after the aerial fight when she is falling down) is in-game.

Deano C is this the game thats features on monthly basis in EDGE. if so do you write the diary? Its been a great insight as to the difficulties developers face, and I can't beleive this game took so long to be picked up (well thats if I'm talking about the correct game) and who ever turned it down needs shooting. Anyway for me this and GoW were the stars of E3. Congratulations on a great looking title.

Pugger said:
Deano C is this the game thats features on monthly basis in EDGE. if so do you write the diary? Its been a great insight as to the difficulties developers face, and I can't beleive this game took so long to be picked up (well thats if I'm talking about the correct game) and who ever turned it down needs shooting. Anyway for me this and GoW were the stars of E3. Congratulations on a great looking title.

Its the same game, but I don't write the articles.

Tameem the Lead Designer (and one of owners of Ninja Theory) does the EDGE stuff.

Cheers and all the best for the game, by the way I don't know if you worked on KF Chaos, but my 8 yr has murdered this game from the day we bought it and to be honest as a multiplayer games I can't understand how it was so underrated. By the way are Ninja Theory multiplatform developers?

Pugger said:
Cheers and all the best for the game, by the way I don't know if you worked on KF Chaos, but my 8 yr has murdered this game from the day we bought it and to be honest as a multiplayer games I can't understand how it was so underrated. By the way are Ninja Theory multiplatform developers?

I didn't work on KFC but lots of the guys and girls I work with did. We develop on whatever our publisher asks for, given our publisher is SCEE that means we are Sony only this time.

That video is extremely impressive. Wow.

DEANOC... Are you saying that the battlefield view with hundreds of soldiers is realtime (and you guys are targeting 1080p @ 30fps+)? Like this amazing screenshot:

http://www.ninjatheory.com/blinkblink/images/stories/hsscreens/hs_e3-2005_08.jpg

Also, will we be seeing motion blur effects on par with what's in that picture (not the fake BS we've had to deal with this gen)?

Thanks for answering our questions; great to finally interact with someone so down-to-earth.

mckmas8808 said:
So DeanoC once you guys start to multithread, what advantages do you think the game will have? Will it improve graphics, physics, AI, etc.?

Graphics and framerate are the low hanging fruit. Just threading up the animation system and procedural graphics (hair, cloth, flags etc.) will gives us a large amount of CPU time back for the game. The army need this the most.

Longer term, Physics and AI services are obvious candidates.

As for what improves?, thats a good question. The priority is to move the heavy weight stuff off the main game thread, hopefully doing this will provide lots more time for the game code. That should improve the gameplay in lots of ways.

Wether we will acheive all this and keep the code easy to develop with is the big question. Lots of designers and coders (especially the more junior members of the team) aren't used to dealing with threads, DMA and C like code. Keeping a balance between the high level and the harder stuff is the biggest challenge. I don't want a level designer having to worry about threads but at the same time don't want him/her coding in such a way that its totally serialised...

onetwo said:
DEANOC... Are you saying that the battlefield view with hundreds of soldiers is realtime (and you guys are targeting 1080p @ 30fps+)? Like this amazing screenshot:

http://www.ninjatheory.com/blinkblink/images/stories/hsscreens/hs_e3-2005_08.jpg
Its in-engine but I'd be lieing to say its very playable at the moment BUT we have lots of work to do in this area. There is something like 2000 people on screen there, we have shown 500 people @ 30fps on our old PC demo (GDC2004 time). Were not currently as efficient as we were back when we did the last demo, a new more advanced shadow system and a few other changes make each bloke a bit more expensive. To be honest though, we knew we were about the change to the target platform when we made those changes so optimising for a PC engine was a bit pointless. Given the power and architecture of the target platform, it seems achievable (if a bit hard ;-) )

onetwo said:
Also, will we be seeing motion blur effects on par with what's in that picture (not the fake BS we've had to deal with this gen)?

Actually Wil (one of the coders) has done some research work on achieving that kind of depth of field and motion blur in-engine since we finished the E3 demo. Its still being worked on but it looked pretty good last time I saw it. He's calculating per-pixel velocity vectors so you actually get smearing and blurring along the movement axis...

onetwo said:
Thanks for answering our questions; great to finally interact with someone so down-to-earth.

No problem, sometimes I can't answer or have to be quiet obtuse but thats the nature of the business...

Very nice I might have to pick it up when its finished. :D
But DeanoC shouldn't you be slaving away on it or did they give you a break for working so hard getting it ready for E3? :p

2,000 soldiers :oops: The level of talent possessed by you and your colleagues must be sky-high (as is my anticipation for your game).

Hopefully, you guys can manage to implement the real DOF and motion blur effects -- I think this is what separates the CGI look from realtime. Personally, I've been looking forward to it ever since the Gran Turismo 3 PS2 intro (those subtle effects can make the same game look twice as good).

Overall, this more than meets the expectations I had for the upcoming generation. If your game will look and play like the trailer I will get it on day one, no questions asked.

Back