The Annual E3 Pre Hype, 2018 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 4pm BST and 5pm CEST Presentation of a new PS4 game with PSVR support, it will be on a livestream. Every day before Sony conference the 11th June a new announcement

Livestream on youtube

https://blog.eu.playstation.com/201...3-2018-begins-wednesday-6th-june/#sf191002144

Wednesday, 6th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Announce: New PS4 game With PS VR support

Thursday, 7th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Release date for an upcoming Worldwide Studios title

Friday, 8th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Announce: New PS4 game

Saturday, 9th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Announce: New PS VR game

Sunday, 10th June at 4.00PM BST/5.00pm CEST
Details: An eagerly anticipated game comes to PS VR

Last edited:
The music and visuals... simply wow. Has addiction written all over it. Haven't played a Tetris game since the first original [fat grey] gameboy.
Ditto - and every other version I played felt wrong. Like Lumines. The PSP version was 'it' for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read this on EG meaning less in this E3 reveal than we could have possibly imagined...
All this, of course, is a pre-amble to the main event: Sony's E3 2018 showcase, which this year is doing things a little differently. It will be a pre-recoded affair, focussing on four specific PlayStation exclusives - Kojima's Death Stranding, Sucker Punch's Ghost of Tsushima, Insomniac's Spider-Man, and Naughty Dog's The Last of Us Part II.
No PS2 emulation. :( No anything new (though little of Ghost is known I s'pose). Only four games, and if you're not into epic AAA solo games, nothing of interest.

Are we to believe they will ONLY talk about those 4 AAA games? Surely there will be a couple new announcements...

With no expected hardware this year, it's normal to focus on their AAA games, but they always also had indies, and third parties. Not sure it's important to fill up the conference with multi plats though, or even timed exclusives, it's a waste of time since the third parties have their own press conference too. But indies need that exposure.

Are we to believe they will ONLY talk about those 4 AAA games?
Probably not. I don't know where the EG remark about 'focussing' on these games comes from. That might just be EG mentioning these blockbusters as a point of interest and making up the use of 'focussing' themselves.

The hype Rises!
The conference can consist only these four games and I'll be more than happy.
Yep, I'm probably buying all of them already and maybe I should skip the conference to avoid mild spoilers. They have a pattern of announcing projects with limited teasers, then a year later full gameplay, then it comes out within another year. It's good for hype but it's risky in the case of cancellations or delays. I guess it worked well for some time. What I want to know is, what do they have brewing for the next 2 years or so... It would be crazy to hold back on PS5 launch titles, since they would be cross-gen anyway.

Bring up the conspiracy theories about PS5 launch year :)

Random things I'm looking forward to.
  1. By far the most interesting potential thing is possibly seeing gameplay from CDPR's Cyberpunk game. Nothing else has me even remotely as excited for a reveal.
And then in no particular order because they're all at the same level.
  • What is MS going to show? They've done a great job getting their hardware on track and on message (games games games). Now they need some console exclusives that are more than just token gestures. Will 343i finally "get" what a Halo game really is? Or will we get another post Bungie Halo disappointment?
  • Are we finally going to see gameplay from Death Stranding? Is it going to make sense? And does it even matter if it makes sense? Probably not to at least 2 out of 3 of those. :)
  • What is going to be shown at the PC conference? Everyone should have expected that one from me.
  • What is going to be shown at the Nintendo conference? Is there going to be more than just first party IPs?
  • Is this year going to be a good UBIsoft year? Or a cringe worthy UBIsoft year?
  • Anthem. Will gameplay be shown? Will it actually look interesting to play or will it just be yet another AAA graphical showcase with gameplay that I don't care for?
  • Gameplay footage from Metro Exodus, currently my most anticipated AAA game of 2018. Don't think it'll unseat either of my current game of the year contenders though (Battletech and Pillars of Eternity 2).
Regards,
SB

I’m expecting some large platform announcements from MS. Games is a ???, honestly not sure what to expect here, safely I would assume not much. They’ve been quiet though so perhaps it might be alright. Looking forward to seeing some 3P titles though.

Sony: expecting more than the 4 deep dives. That just seems a little too light for content.

Ninenteo: not sure, don’t follow them enough to get an idea of anything.

Nintendo is gonna show metroid prime 4 and we'll know if retro can beat id's doom graphics on switch...

Good that we've got full disclaimer of potential health warning for watching Sony's conference.
1d2d3598e5113fbfc2d96c88198a642de0b7aa38_hq.jpg

Not sure which one would make you nosebleed the most tho:devilish:

Warner Games are streaming something later today. Too early for the next Rocksteady game? It's been 3 years since Arkham Knight. Not heard any rumours though.

Last edited:

Livestream for worldwide studio game release date announcement probably Medievil, Concrete Genie or Dreams

Just read this on EG meaning less in this E3 reveal than we could have possibly imagined...

Maybe you missed my post back on page 1 after Sony tweeted this. Next year I can see Sony not attending E3 at all. They already have a North American event (PSX) where they are not competing with anybody else for media or public attention and there last three hardware reveals were at their own events. Most of the big have dropped out from big E3 presences, preferring to have a conference on the fringes but your news is lost in the noise.

I genuinely think the days of E3 as the annual videogame event are numbered. Organising and attending is complex and expensive and you're catering to 0.00001% of the gaming market who can get there, everybody will watch a stream or catch it at their convenience on YouTube. I bet most gamers don't watch everything, just catch highlights or just subsequent news coverage.

Maybe you missed my post back on page 1 after Sony tweeted this. Next year I can see Sony not attending E3 at all. They already have a North American event (PSX) where they are not competing with anybody else for media or public attention and there last three hardware reveals were at their own events. Most of the big have dropped out from big E3 presences, preferring to have a conference on the fringes but your news is lost in the noise.

I genuinely think the days of E3 as the annual videogame event are numbered. Organising and attending is complex and expensive and you're catering to 0.00001% of the gaming market who can get there, everybody will watch a stream or catch it at their convenience on YouTube. I bet most gamers don't watch everything, just catch highlights or just subsequent news coverage.
they will just extend the public days and make it into a pax type event , it wont actually go anywhere . People have been saying this for a decade now

they will just extend the public days and make it into a pax type event , it wont actually go anywhere . People have been saying this for a decade now

Likely. E3 used to be closed except to media and press but for quite a few years now, conferences like E3 are a terrible environment for engaging with the press. You have a fixed window to show what you want, whether it's ready or not, and you're fighting for attention with 100 other titles with journalists are rushing from A to B trying to cover everything so you're getting sub-optimal coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back