HDR Gaming

It has come to a point that the lack of HDR in a new game would take away 50% of the enjoyment from me:oops: because the difference it makes is just too big. I'm gonna rebuy BF1 just to see it in HDR again and wait out for Destiny 2 till the patch hits. Don't become like me lol.

I am a little perplexed by the fact that there are barely any HDR games available on PC

Glorious PC Master Race often use TVs.

Balderdash. How do they use mouse+keyboard with a TV? Surely they would never think about lowering themselves from their Glorious Master Race Pedestal to use a game controller.

When I dabbled in PC gaming, I just used a cushioned tray - way comfier than a desk. It makes me wonder why, in an age of prevalent wireless keyboards and mice, we've still yet to see someone crack a more refined version of my bodge job.

Balderdash. How do they use mouse+keyboard with a TV? Surely they wouldn never think about lowering themselves from their Glorious Master Race Pedestal to use a game controller.
Glorious PC Master Race always finds a way.

Oh come on. They have all that technology. Of course they will want to play the glorious graphics on a 60'' 4K HDR TV

Balderdash. How do they use mouse+keyboard with a TV? Surely they would never think about lowering themselves from their Glorious Master Race Pedestal to use a game controller.

By replacing their PC monitor with a 4K TV. There is nothing that says you can't use a 4K TV in a desk setup.

By replacing their PC monitor with a 4K TV. There is nothing that says you can't use a 4K TV in a desk setup.

Do they even make them small enough, I mean are there even 32, 36, 40 inch 4K HDR TVs? Are they even good quality to bother which? Or are you suggesting having even larger as a desk monitor?

Do they even make them small enough, I mean are there even 32, 36, 40 inch 4K HDR TVs? Are they even good quality to bother which? Or are you suggesting having even larger as a desk monitor?
Jokes aside they DO use controllers or use desks away from the TV if they want KB+mouse. Usually Keyboard+mouse are for the multiplayer addicts.

Also of AAAALLL games available there are just....I dont know....4 or 5 games with HDR support? Probably less
Even the multiplatform games that have HDR on console miss it on PC

Is there some technical limitations of HDR gaming on PC? Is there no query mechanism to determine if the graphics hardware and display supports HDR?

Sorry 'Destiny 2', But 'Battlefield 1' Just Got A Game-Changing Graphics Boost
Feels totally wrong to read gaming news at Forbes... :LOL:

There are barely any HDR monitors.
With some HDR monitors being delayed until next year, it seems we'll have to wait until 2018 for HDR to make much of an impact on PCs. I'm holding out for a HDR, wide color gamut, high-FPS, freesync monitor to appear. Buying a new SDR monitor at this point in time feels wrong, especially when my current unit actually works quite well despite being over a half-decade old (apart from not being able to use it with displayport under win10; it refuses to sleep mode. *sigh*)

Well I do most of my gaming on PC with a PS3 controller through Steam Link on a 42 inch 1080p TV. I don't find a keyboard + mouse setup comfortable anymore, unless it's for an FPS, RTS or builder type game. Most of the games I play are 3rd person so the PS3 controller works fine. I was quite surprised when I moved my FFXIV gaming to the PS4 though, it works much better for moment than a Mouse.

Main reason why I don't change completely for console is to have better graphics of course and I need a powerful PC anyway for personal projects.

Is there some technical limitations of HDR gaming on PC? Is there no query mechanism to determine if the graphics hardware and display supports HDR?

It's an ecosystem problem. The implementation of this in Windows is in flux and AMD and Nvidia each have custom implementations as well. I expect a lot of developers are waiting for the situation to sort itself out instead of dealing with the support nightmare that currently exists. Even the consoles aren't 100% reliable with HDR functionality, so you can imagine what it's like on the PC side.

:D

Are the PC monitors? Most of the 4K ones don't support HDR. And most of the HDR ones don't support 4K or come anywhere close to 1000 nits.

You have a couple that offer 4K, HDR and >550 nits but those are g-sync monitors that will probably be well north of $1K.

Given the prices for even 350-500 nit 4K HDR high end monitors you could buy a p607 and a cheaper smaller monitor. Use p607 for 55 inches of HDR and use the pc monitor for better input response and free sync. All while saving $200-$400 dollars.

:D

Yeah and don't even get me started on the advanced full array LED local dimming like the ones in ZD9, the number of dimmable zones all in tandem with 1840 nits of brightness working in a PC monitor, it's gonna take awhile to get there not to mention the price. Sony should tap into that market segment with that tech.

Yeah and don't even get me started on the advanced full array LED local dimming like the ones in ZD9
Is it known how many dimming zones TVs with local dimming use, has someone done a hardware teardown to find out? :D

For some reason, the manufacturers' own marketing material isn't bragging about this - which I find stupid, but I'm not a marketer, so... :p

Is it known how many dimming zones TVs with local dimming use, has someone done a hardware teardown to find out? :D

For some reason, the manufacturers' own marketing material isn't bragging about this - which I find stupid, but I'm not a marketer, so... :p
Yes, it is well known. The marketing team usually doesn't reveal the exact number but instead boasting in big descriptive words, mainly due to concealing their tech from the competition so that it would be hard to one up. However regarding the number of zones you could find a pretty accurate estimate by using zone counters such as this once the unit is at the reviewer's hand.
It's in the margin of error of <5 at best. The 100" Sony ZD9 holds the title for having the most at over 1000 of individually dimmible direct LEDs, the 65" SKU has about 630.
If you think edge lit HDR PC monitors are expensive af then wait till you see some FALD monitors in the future if they ever eventuate:).

Back