HDR Gaming

HDR with 8 bit panels is like pizza without cheese.
Lol, can it hurt harder :LOL:
I woudlnt say without cheese but lets say Its a personal pan pizza which leaves u wanting for more while the master race gets the family size pizza with double cheese. The cheese is definitely there on my KU7000 as it does manage to display approximated colours using dithering. I wouldn't be gushiing over HDR if I was seeing none of the cheese :D , I am very very nitpicky in that regard.

As for Deus Ex, Can the PC version do HDR like Andromeda? Cos it will be cheaper over steam and of course I will be able to run in native 4k. Hardly any PC titles do HDr as of now.

Edit: its the same list I was referring to, I think I misread it or confused with another list on gaf, which is smaller and not being updated much. So Homefront has HDR and I have always found myself stopping myself from buying it again and again. I dont know why I so badly want to play that game panned by one and all. Now I am even more inclined !

As mention on other threads, I find it absolutely shocking that Sony don't update the details on the PSN store to show resolutions and HDR support. Everything is still "outputs 720p, 1080i, 1080p".
Considering how big a decision it was to release the Pro, and how it changed the market enough to now have the 1X coming, it's just absolutely shocking that we have to rely on the interwebs to find out what a game supports.

What is also shocking is Sony releasing PSVR with a breakout box not HDR compatible.
That's one a the few things preventing me from upgrading my TV for now.

Image_uploaded_from_iOS.jpg

At first during the presentation all this branding was too much, but this thread is making the justification for it.

If it's not on the box, then how do you know what it does ultimately? With HDR being available on all consoles the need to separate which features can be available is critical (without needing to research every game )

Image_uploaded_from_iOS.jpg

At first during the presentation all this branding was too much, but this thread is making the justification for it.

If it's not on the box, then how do you know what it does ultimately? With HDR being available on all consoles the need to separate which features can be available is critical (without needing to research every game )

Yep. And this is the current situation.

One would hope that with the advent of the 1X, Sony will get their act together and make things clearer.

But then they also still have to make Netflix, Amazon and YouTube release apps that support full 4K/HDR on the Pro. You'd think the PSN store by now would have 4K movies at least, but we're still waiting.

It all just seem that this whole thing about making the Pro the first point of access for 4K/HDR content is a bit lacking of 4K HDR content. And what is there isn't properly labelled!

YouTube absolutely supports 4k on the Pro.

Until there is an actual standard, HDR is a niche inside a niche.

Not YouTube HDR it doesn't. Or Netflix. Or Amazon. Or anything else.

And there is an actual standard. A few actually. Doesn't help much though when manufacturers can still release pretty much anything they want regardless of what the standard requires.

HDR is by content right ? IIRC on Netflix only Marco Polo was HDR

There's a lot of HDR stuff on Netflix - all the marvel shows for example - and Amazon - few shows too. I just watch them through the TV apps so it's fine, but it's one of those things that Sony just can't seem to get together quickly enough on the PS4 Pro.

It just makes them look a bit sloppy when they made such a big splash with the Pro, then there's so much they just haven't sorted out yet.

There's a lot of HDR stuff on Netflix - all the marvel shows for example - and Amazon - few shows too. I just watch them through the TV apps so it's fine, but it's one of those things that Sony just can't seem to get together quickly enough on the PS4 Pro.

It just makes them look a bit sloppy when they made such a big splash with the Pro, then there's so much they just haven't sorted out yet.
Oh I read your earlier comments too fast. I assumed it was across the board issues, but I see now that it's just PS4/Pro based, the companies have not yet updated their programs to support these new features.

Weird. Considering that they did not want 4K Blu stay either, I would have assumed a heavy focus on UHD streaming support. That sucks. is there a "coming soon" log that will indicate when these things will arrive?

Oh I read your earlier comments too fast. I assumed it was across the board issues, but I see now that it's just PS4/Pro based, the companies have not yet updated their programs to support these new features.

Weird. Considering that they did not want 4K Blu stay either, I would have assumed a heavy focus on UHD streaming support. That sucks. is there a "coming soon" log that will indicate when these things will arrive?

Yup. Very weird. No 4K player, and fair enough that was an extra cost that isn't 'needed'. But then now there is literally no way to get HDR content on the Pro except for games.

Not YouTube HDR it doesn't. Or Netflix. Or Amazon. Or anything else.

And there is an actual standard. A few actually. Doesn't help much though when manufacturers can still release pretty much anything they want regardless of what the standard requires.

Youtube HDR may never happen due to codec issues. There very well may not be hardware decoding support for VP9 Profile 2 in the Pro's SoC. Amazon are only selectively supporting devices, so this may not be on Sony save for there probably being an amount of money Sony could throw at Amazon to get support. Netfilx, though, they should have. I wonder if Sony botching security on yet another console is holding up support.

And there is an actual standard. A few actually.

Because that's not having an actual standard, which is my point.

Theres no reason to care about HDR content on these apps for 99.99% of customers. They should have formalized an actual standard and had it in all 4K sets.

But they didn't and HDR adoption is basically nil. And laypeople who have bought an HDR TV don't know how to get it working properly.

Right now, HDR is unimportant. Why spend time having somebody program features virtually none of your audience has?

Because that's not having an actual standard, which is my point.

HDR10 is THE standard. Everything supports this (now). Everything else can be considered a superset of this.

They should have formalized an actual standard and had it in all 4K sets.

See above.

But they didn't

They did.

and HDR adoption is basically nil.

Fair enough. Currently it's a niche within a subset (those who have 4K TVs). But aren't the people who would buy a premium console the ones most likely to be part of that niche?

And laypeople who have bought an HDR TV don't know how to get it working properly.

Other then how you seem to always need to set your HDMI input to an "enhanced" setting (No idea why this is so often required. Why can't this be figured out by the normal handshaking process?) it just works. When the TV gets an HDR signal, it activates HDR mode. Also I don't accept the "people are too stupid know how to use it anyway" excuse for not having a feature. People only need to be smart enough to use Google.

Right now, HDR is unimportant. Why spend time having somebody program features virtually none of your audience has?

Because $50 streaming devices that are intended to sell to the mass market support it and it makes your "premium" device look bad when it doesn't.

Edit: And now that I think about it. Sony enabled HDR support for games! They even back-ported it to the OG PS4. How can your argument be true for media and not also be true for games?

Last edited:
Fair enough. Currently it's a niche within a subset (those who have 4K TVs). But aren't the people who would buy a premium console the ones most likely to be part of that niche?

Other then how you seem to always need to set your HDMI input to an "enhanced" setting (No idea why this is so often required. Why can't this be figured out by the normal handshaking process?) it just works. When the TV gets an HDR signal, it activates HDR mode. Also I don't accept the "people are too stupid know how to use it anyway" excuse for not having a feature. People only need to be smart enough to use Google.

Because $50 streaming devices that are intended to sell to the mass market support it and it makes your "premium" device look bad when it doesn't.

You're not living in the real world. Yes, people are too stupid to use this and will not use Google. And these are the people you think are going to look down on "premium" devices. And it costs money to implement new features. And so on, etc, yadda yadda....

And no, HDR was not included in all 4K TVs, which is the exact problem.

What really needs to happen is it be automatic (if the source supports it, the device seamlessly uses the format), and implemented years ago when the first 4K screens were being sold.

We are videophiles and into performance gaming. We also look to expand our knowledge base. I can't tell you how often I get used as tech support for the most basic things regarding phones, which at this point you'd think are idiot proof. We are a niche.

The 'problem' is always the same.

New tech, early adopters get it, eventually it trickles down. Next!

Right now we're in the 'trickle down' phase. There's a fair bit of content for people who want it, and now we are seeing how it can make games look very impressive with relatively little resources - compared to rendering at 4K for example.

So, to go back to the topic at hand, I just remembered that Hitman also looks very good in HDR. Not over the top spectacular, but it definitely adds a fair bit of depth compared to the normal version. Plus it's kinda free.

Lets not have the Benefits of HDR or Niche of HDR discussion in this thread. Instead lets focus on HDR Gaming.

Back