HDR Gaming

ufff, I wonder when the hardware is going to be able to live up to that
Not for a long long time at least not for the resolution that is. Most Hollywood studios are only shooting their films at 4-6k range while digital effects are only added in at 2k mostly hence most UHD blu rays are only 2k transfers. We might be able to run some really simple games at native 8k but who would really pay 5 figures just for that? HDR wise tho, there's tremendous benefit right off the bat. 4000 nits is the director's intended visual output, you will see highlight, color volume and contrast get a significant boost. But of course those who rolls 2080 ti quad sli can always enjoy the 8k HDR experience decade earlier than mere mortal like me.

Not for a long long time at least not for the resolution that is. Most Hollywood studios are only shooting their films at 4-6k range while digital effects are only added in at 2k mostly hence most UHD blu rays are only 2k transfers. We might be able to run some really simple games at native 8k but who would really pay 5 figures just for that? HDR wise tho, there's tremendous benefit right off the bat. 4000 nits is the director's intended visual output, you will see highlight, color volume and contrast get a significant boost. But of course those who rolls 2080 ti quad sli can always enjoy the 8k HDR experience decade earlier than mere mortal like me.
It's not only FX that are 2k, whole digital intermediate is.
So we have movies with little to none CGI shot with great cameras and no way to get full 4k without re-rendering DI.

Yes, I think the whole 2k mastered DI is due to keeping consistency with the FX. I guess supersampled transfer is still better than nothing.
Also the rate of the rendering hardware advancement is probably slower than the rate of the modern CGI getting more complex, this leads to a more pessimistic outlook of even getting at least 4k FX :(.

I've just ordered a cheap HDR TV, so I'm going to have to obtain myself an HDMI splitter (first gen PSVR.)

Everything I've seen on Amazon seems to be for HDMI 1.4, which I don't think is sufficient.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a suitable splitter please? UK based btw

Just make sure you read the reviews to make sure. There’s a lot of fake stuff being sold with wrong specs on Amazon (and elsewhere).

What's the difference between a HDMi splitter and switch? A splitter implies sending the signal twice from a single source, which isn't feasible. I don't understand what the requirement is.

What's the difference between a HDMi splitter and switch? A splitter implies sending the signal twice from a single source, which isn't feasible. I don't understand what the requirement is.
The signal is indeed sent twice from a single source when using a splitter, but the handshake (and therefore TMDS, CEC, HEC, ARC, etc.) only happens with a chosen "primary output".
The worst thing that can happen in to send a signal that the sink doesn't support, through one of the "secondary" outputs.

I also bought a switch for that reason. It's a bit of a convoluted setup, and sometimes (not always) switching signals also requires a PS4 reset to re-enable HDR, but it does work and is prefereable to plugging and unplugging cables. It also introduces tiny white firefly looking things when using the VR goggles, but unless the picture is black it's barely noticeable. (not to mention when PSVR is all out black, the moire patterns are way worse and give you headaches anyways.) It does not work with my friend's PS4 Pro, though. the 4K HDR signal seems to be out of the hardware's league for some reason.

Back