HDR Gaming

Given some good knowledge of HDR can I ask how fair a comparison the split SDR / HDR mode for gears of war 4 is as I assume the SDR is taking some faked tone mapping as it is still technically being shown on the TV as HDR.

For thoes who have not seen it renders the left half in HDR and the right in simulated SDR to highlight the difference.

DF have released a video and I wonder how accurate this sort of comparison is. Unfortunately I have not seen it yet as my LG does not support VP9.2 so I have ripped it and re-encoded it but yet to watch as the kids are about and I suspect being gears it's not all that toddler friendly.

I may cry when I see plain as day my HDR LG (LCD) basically is not HDR, I expect it to be mild but I hope I can see something reasonably different

In my opinion, I’ve never seen a better showcase of SDR vs HDR than this video here

If you can see it in HDR properly, then it’s literally night and day. And much better than the fake split screen demos.

Thanks, I will grab and re-encoded, then test it out. I like the fact it seems to be a full screen fade so all scene can be compared.

I think the Gears of War video is alright as well. Although the SDR is looking little weird sometimes and split screen is not as good as having full screen comparisons imo. The clip LB linked is stunning however. It's amazing to see the scenes transition from SDR to HDR and in effect come to live.

In my opinion, I’ve never seen a better showcase of SDR vs HDR than this video here

If you can see it in HDR properly, then it’s literally night and day. And much better than the fake split screen demos.

I see a pretty significant difference (improvement) already on my iPhone 6 Plus. Does that mean that it supports HDR? Or that there is some exaggeration in the demo?

It seems to have a good display for sure: http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

550nits? Even so, slightly suspicious ;)

Last edited:
It shows a difference even on SDR displays but that’s only because YouTube automatically tonemaps HDR videos for SDR displays. However you don’t actually get an HDR image. If you can try it on the new IPhone X, or the new Samsung 8 series (I’m sure there’s other phones that support HDR video), or on TVs that support YouTube HDR, then you’d see an even more striking difference. It almost looks like the image turns 3D because of the extra range and depth in the colours and contrast. On an SDR screen you do see a more colourful, but still tonemapped and SDR image. For example you lose almost all detail in the sky when it gets brighter, whereas in an HDR screen the sun gets brighter without blowing out everything around it. Which in turns makes the image look more 3D.

It was always a little bit sad when consoles stopped shipping with tech demos. I always felt it was a cool, albeit completely useless, extra.
My Bravia came with a USB stick with 60Hz 4K highlights of England v Italy from World Cup 2014. Best demo I ever got with a new TV.

I see a pretty significant difference (improvement) already on my iPhone 6 Plus. Does that mean that it supports HDR? Or that there is some exaggeration in the demo?

It seems to have a good display for sure: http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone6_ShootOut.htm

550nits? Even so, slightly suspicious ;)
If you are watching those videos on an SDR screen then the HDR labelled side is showing SDR and the SDR side is showing way, way below SDR.

Shame insects is not also on the One S, that would be a neat way to upsell to existing customers. One S does not do 4k gaming but an "app" or demo might allow an easy bypass?

Is Wolfenstein 2 HDR ?
I can't find any info about it, it looks like it's not
It's a shame, everybody marvel at ID Tech 6 but no one talks about HDR, its absence or its future inclusion
I guess it's early adopter's pain

Is Wolfenstein 2 HDR ?
I can't find any info about it, it looks like it's not
It's a shame, everybody marvel at ID Tech 6 but no one talks about HDR, its absence or its future inclusion
I guess it's early adopter's pain

Pretty sure DF said it’s HDR and veryyyyy pretty.

Damn shame that the thread on neogaf is now dead as the original poster has decided to leave. It was literally the only place where you could find this info.

You can now find it at really good prices. Can't go wrong with the ZD9, especially considering we're all here talking about new games, HDR goodness etc etc. It's the best.

Back