Halo movie dumped.

2) Spartans are unbeatable on the ground, but they can't fight an orbital bombardment. That's the fatalistic tone of the books and even the games and it's a great way to contrast truly superhuman ability with utter, utter powerlessness. After seeing the Pillar of Autumn off your Spartan would have 'won' but his fate (along with all the other Soldiers on reach) should have been to be engulfed in plasma just like the entire planet he stood on. That would be true to the idea of the Spartan / Covenant war and a fitting end as you meet the same fate as the planet you consider home.

Instead you just get killed by an Elite with a sword. That's awful. At least if a grunt had killed you it would have been funny.

Not quite true. Even in the books it is mentioned that even Spartan's can be overwhelmed with enough ground forces. There were many engagements where Master Chief withdrew his squad rather than engaging for fear of unacceptable losses (even 1 Spartan) and other times when he had no choice and ended up losing Spartans...in ground combat. One on one, they are virtually unbeatable. In small scale (squad level) engagements they are virtually unbeatable due to squad tactics combined with their enhanced physical prowess. In large scale combat, where a squad of Spartans faces a large force, if good tactics (Master Chief is very good at tactics) isn't used they can be overrun and defeated.

The last level represents one Spartan, against thousands upon thousands of Covenant. The only disappointment is that you're only facing a few at a time. I'd imagine that's to give the player a feeling that he might have some hope if he can hold out long enough even though he knows it's futile.

But at the end. Whether it's an elite, or a grunt, or a brute, or falling debris that got in the final blow. He was going to die. Sheer numbers are overwhelming no matter how strong the combatant.

The invisible walls, yeah that's a problem. They didn't need to do that, other than to keep you in the proper location for the final scene when you fall.

Better would have been running out...smack into the focused fire of 100-500 (or more) covenant, instantly vaporising your Spartan. No wait, that would have been disappointing as a player for most. :p

Regards,
SB

Huh?

"Master Chief" is short for "Master Chief Petty Officer", an actual rank in the US Navy and Coast Guard. There is nothing juvenile about the term since that how MCPOs are commonly referred.

Whats pretty backwards about the Halo games is that MC doesn't come off as a highly ranked enlisted officer but more of a highly respected weapon of war. "He" could of been designated Able Seaman John-117 and it would have not really impacted the Halo series, but would of encouraged an avalanche childish and juvenile jokes.

:eek:
Oh wow!... Then i stand corrected as i never knew that until today. It sounds alot less silly when you know that. However i wouldn't expect the vast majority of people (especially folks outside of the US) to know that.

:eek:
Oh wow!... Then i stand corrected as i never knew that until today. It sounds alot less silly when you know that. However i wouldn't expect the vast majority of people (especially folks outside of the US) to know that.
I concur. I looked up Master Chief some months back out of curiosity to learn it was a proper rank! To me it did sound like a 'juvenile' console game name (like Awesome Bossguy) and I wouldn't expect the masses to appreciate the title, and they'd rather have a 'butch' name or ordinary human name (John/Jack being the preferred US hero name ;)).

Not quite true. Even in the books it is mentioned that even Spartan's can be overwhelmed with enough ground forces. There were many engagements where Master Chief withdrew his squad rather than engaging for fear of unacceptable losses (even 1 Spartan) and other times when he had no choice and ended up losing Spartans...in ground combat. One on one, they are virtually unbeatable. In small scale (squad level) engagements they are virtually unbeatable due to squad tactics combined with their enhanced physical prowess. In large scale combat, where a squad of Spartans faces a large force, if good tactics (Master Chief is very good at tactics) isn't used they can be overrun and defeated.

I mean yeah, Spartans can be killed, and conversely they can sometimes actually take out spaceships (and capture spaceships and take out spaceships with those spaceships - I, too, read the early books!) but the most striking thing is always the disparity between ground and space warfare.

The last level represents one Spartan, against thousands upon thousands of Covenant. The only disappointment is that you're only facing a few at a time. I'd imagine that's to give the player a feeling that he might have some hope if he can hold out long enough even though he knows it's futile.

But at the end. Whether it's an elite, or a grunt, or a brute, or falling debris that got in the final blow. He was going to die. Sheer numbers are overwhelming no matter how strong the combatant.

Absolutely, but even more overwhelming is planetary bombardment! And I think being stranded on a planet as it's burned and sterilised is really total, final and all encompassing. And that is what happened to most of the people on Reach, even if the game doesn't show it.

The invisible walls, yeah that's a problem. They didn't need to do that, other than to keep you in the proper location for the final scene when you fall.

And it felt horribly, clumsily contrived. At least to me. Maybe I'm just an ass, I dunno.

Better would have been running out...smack into the focused fire of 100-500 (or more) covenant, instantly vaporising your Spartan. No wait, that would have been disappointing as a player for most. :p

Actually I quite like that idea. Throw a hundred Elites at the character (you get to see them swarming toward your position) and they just kill you like in a normal game. You might take a few out but the overwhelming force is clearly present. No limp cutscene where you just get killed by an elite. It's just like the game, only not remotely balanced.

So you are admitting you have no clue about Master Chief or Halo and your comments about him being a emotionless boring character are not based on objective observations? Just parroting?
I admit I was WRONG (i didnt watch your vids but u were so sure)
thus I admit, he does speak,
the only game I played was halo1 (which is a story unto itself, that is the last game i played etc)
so is the wiki wrong, is it? master chief is not silent/ during gameplay. perhaps u can change the wiki page?

please acert correct wiki! the wiki page is wrong u are right.

ps when youre talking about hit, mention that is a hit in the US (and perhaps doesnt shift bucketsloads here in nz or germany etc u know thos lands that pay to play)

now NavNucST3, I see you earlier reply is gone, technically & honestly it was a load of shit logically. now is that the reason its gone?
reply again & I will answer

I think you need to actually READ your wiki link again, because you're clearly not grasping what it said.

Actually I quite like that idea. Throw a hundred Elites at the character (you get to see them swarming toward your position) and they just kill you like in a normal game. You might take a few out but the overwhelming force is clearly present. No limp cutscene where you just get killed by an elite. It's just like the game, only not remotely balanced.

Yeah, on second thought that might have been interesting. The players immediate reaction being...WTF do I do now? I can't beat all those. SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE... OK, turn around and run for some cover. OH CRAP, there's a few hundred more coming from that direction. /pray. :D

Regards,
SB

Back