Halo movie dumped.

Yeah, I think that only got a passing mention in Halsey's Journal. I can't quite remember. The AI cloning is certainly not a new thing in the Halo universe, and it actually was first seen during the third book (real-world chronologically-wise), but I think they should have been clearer on that.

Yup. The only way I found out about it was by watching the Bungie commentary video where they mentioned how the info was in Halsey's Journal. =/

What Bungie did with the story once the Covenant fleet arrived was still really limp IMO.

Eh, I thought it was good considering the dev timeframe, budget, and hardware they are working on. I was happy enough to watch the covenant fleet glass the planet in the background during the Exodus level.

Well it worked for me. I don't mind changes just so long as what you get is as good or better. The Halo 2 switcharoo was initially disappointing but I loved the game and wasn't left with a big, lingering sense of disappointment and underwhelmedness (yeah I don't think that's a real word).

See for me it was the opposite. Halo 2 was a pretty big disappointment for me. The story was good, until the end :devilish:, but the levels felt too confined compare to Halo 1 levels. IMO they did this so they could up the graphical level. I played Halo 1 almost every day for the first few years, more often than not co-op, but I didn't play Halo 2 nearly as much.

Where with Reach, I was actually satisfied with the ending and thought the whole Lone Wolf final level was a fitting end for a campaign with little hope.

I think TheChefO's idea is the best scenario for making a good Halo movie
but his idea was actually admitting that the games wouldnt make a good film, i.e. he's saying the film takes place before the games, where anythings possible, eg perhaps cast Robert Pattinson as master chief and Kristen Stewart as his girlfriend going to college etc war happens on the planet killing his girlfirend he joins the force to put things right blah blah end of film. Its like making an uncharted film and drake works in an accountancy firm fiddling the books and not robbing tombs etc i.e. the link between the game and the film are tenuous

Where does this notion of Master Chief not speaking come from?
from the wiki page, 'In the games, the Master Chief never speaks during player-controlled gameplay, making him an almost silent protagonist.'

Wane as in still one of the top IPs in the entire industry?
wane as in the latest game in its 2nd biggest market (UK) first week only making 7th place in the list, 2nd week dropped all the way down to 23rd
or see how the average sales of the first 3 games halo1,2,3 vs the last 3 ODST,reach,evolved.
10:1 odds that the average sales of the first 3 are more than double the last 3 when alls set and done.

If one thing they should have made reach with the direction off First Strike and the end of Fall of Reach.

Start the game with chief on his blue team mission to secure the nav data at the end of Fall of Reach. Then go to red team while they make their supersonic landing. And how they have to use rocks to kill a group of jackals. etc just follow First strike!!

I think this is better for the people that want to know what happened in first strike here a wikia link. http://www.halopedian.com/Halo:_First_Strike

It could be a2 games if bungie didn't made odst.

from the wiki page, 'In the games, the Master Chief never speaks during player-controlled gameplay, making him an almost silent protagonist.'
He speaks in the cut-scenes, when there's people to talk to regarding the story. He's not Duke Nukem for crying out loud. He's also the only Spartan on the battlefield in the games, so it's not like he's chummy with the regular soldier class. That's something I would only expect for his fellow Spartan IIs, the ones whom he grew up with and trained alongside, and this has been fairly consistent in the novels. Even amongst his fellow SII's, he's not the chattiest person - he's a leader. Do you expect Optimus Prime to join in with the rest of the troops with jibes and whatnot? He speaks when it's necessary.

See for me it was the opposite. Halo 2 was a pretty big disappointment for me. The story was good, until the end :devilish:, but the levels felt too confined compare to Halo 1 levels. IMO they did this so they could up the graphical level. I played Halo 1 almost every day for the first few years, more often than not co-op, but I didn't play Halo 2 nearly as much.

Halo 2's more limited play spaces seemed to be about tightening up the gameplay as much as anything. It allowed them to create a steady stream of intense, balanced and diverse fights within which you could still play in a number of ways.

Halo 2 lost the scale, and I certainly missed the big levels, but if you think back to when you were fighting in corridors in the first game, things worked better in the second game. It's a slightly different approach rather than an out and out refinement of the same experience. Halo 2 on Legendary co-op is really good.

To give an extreme analogy: Halo 1 was Crackdown, Halo 2 was Virtua Fighter 5. Halo 3 was kind of like Halo 2 with moments of being a little more like 1.

Where with Reach, I was actually satisfied with the ending and thought the whole Lone Wolf final level was a fitting end for a campaign with little hope.

I felt really cheated by the Lone Wolf final level. Really, really cheated like someone had a silly "concept" idea and then that took precedence over maintaining the integrity of product. I'll try to explain my POV:

1) You're in control of the player. You mess up, you die. Except at the end, where you mess up and then there's a cutscene where you get to watch your player die (while not in control) like a bad survival horror game. You aren't in control at the most critical point in the characters journey. Yes, this kind of thing really bothers and really irritates me.

2) Spartans are unbeatable on the ground, but they can't fight an orbital bombardment. That's the fatalistic tone of the books and even the games and it's a great way to contrast truly superhuman ability with utter, utter powerlessness. After seeing the Pillar of Autumn off your Spartan would have 'won' but his fate (along with all the other Soldiers on reach) should have been to be engulfed in plasma just like the entire planet he stood on. That would be true to the idea of the Spartan / Covenant war and a fitting end as you meet the same fate as the planet you consider home.

Instead you just get killed by an Elite with a sword. That's awful. At least if a grunt had killed you it would have been funny.

3) You're confined to a tiny area! You have to stay in a little area defined by invisible barrier, visibly barrier-less wasteland and wait to die. There not even a ridiculous "leaving missing area, go back or you will lose your all ur jobs" excuse at this point. Well done Bungie! You've really made me feel the plight of my character! It's like interactive theatre!

Arrgh. So damn cheap.

I'm so angry slash disappointed all over again just thinking about it that I'm going to have to go and work on my screenplay for "First Contacts" until I calm down. If there's ever a new season of Voyager or Enterprise I'm sure they'd use it for an episode. It's at least as good as their Nazi episodes were!

He speaks in the cut-scenes, when there's people to talk to regarding the story. He's not Duke Nukem for crying out loud. He's also the only Spartan on the battlefield in the games, so it's not like he's chummy with the regular soldier class. That's something I would only expect for his fellow Spartan IIs, the ones whom he grew up with and trained alongside, and this has been fairly consistent in the novels. Even amongst his fellow SII's, he's not the chattiest person - he's a leader. Do you expect Optimus Prime to join in with the rest of the troops with jibes and whatnot? He speaks when it's necessary.

He makes a joke near the end of Halo 3.

"Thought I might shoot my way out".

I thought that was great.

I hope the Arbiter is in Halo 4. Arbiter can be the Danny Glover in the double act.

Yeah, things are different with Cortana. They probably were with Johnson too.

Only 50% of Master Chief's friends are still alive. :(

They should get Michael Bay to direct the movie, have it filmed in 3D and wham bam thank you mam you have the next highest grossing summertime blockbuster. You don't even need character's with personality

Edit:
More seriously though. I'm almost 100% convinced that if they even go ahead with a Halo movie, they almost certainly won't use MasterChief as the lead. Mainly because:

a) Because to anyone not familiar with the Halo video game series, the name "Master Chief" sounds rediculous and juvenile.
b) There's no reason to rehash the lore of the first 3 Halo games in movie form. Who ever they get to direct it will want to tell their own story within the Halo universe (which is detailed enough and ripe enough for such).

Huh?

"Master Chief" is short for "Master Chief Petty Officer", an actual rank in the US Navy and Coast Guard. There is nothing juvenile about the term since that how MCPOs are commonly referred.

Whats pretty backwards about the Halo games is that MC doesn't come off as a highly ranked enlisted officer but more of a highly respected weapon of war. "He" could of been designated Able Seaman John-117 and it would have not really impacted the Halo series, but would of encouraged an avalanche childish and juvenile jokes.

So you are admitting you have no clue about Master Chief or Halo and your comments about him being a emotionless boring character are not based on objective observations? Just parroting?

Because, and this is extremely related to a Halo movie thread, it is impossible to miss that Spartan-117 talks a lot. Just jump to the Halo 3 video below:

Halo 1

Halo 2

Halo 3

Furthermore I find it laughable you are trying to blame Wiki and backpeddle to an argument that he doesn't talk much during gameplay.

Question: How much does Blackburn talk during BF3 gameplay?

And yet no one would argue that Blackburn is a emotionless character that doesn't talk. If some random poster came on the forums and said such he would be laughed at.

Master Chief is silent you say? :LOL:

wane as in the latest game in its 2nd biggest market (UK) first week only making 7th place in the list, 2nd week dropped all the way down to 23rd
or see how the average sales of the first 3 games halo1,2,3 vs the last 3 ODST,reach,evolved.
10:1 odds that the average sales of the first 3 are more than double the last 3 when alls set and done.

Well, seeing as we want to essentially cherry pick an expansion (ODST, without MC) and a HD remake (lol) we can twist it all kinds of silly: After the relative "flop" that was Halo 1 PC and Halo 2 PC and Halo Wars, Halo rebounded every time with their next Halo Xbox title!

Or, more relevant, every full release of Halo has done exceptionally well by industry standards (1,2,3,Reach) or, even more relevant, is every title with MC as the star character has done exceptionally well.

Again, the sales are exceptional.

And yes, Master Chief talks.

Huh?

"Master Chief" is short for "Master Chief Petty Officer", an actual rank in the US Navy and Coast Guard. There is nothing juvenile about the term since that how MCPOs are commonly referred.

Whats pretty backwards about the Halo games is that MC doesn't come off as a highly ranked enlisted [strike]officer[/strike] but more of a highly respected weapon of war. "He" could of been designated Able Seaman John-117 and it would have not really impacted the Halo series, but would of encouraged an avalanche childish and juvenile jokes.

Simply enlisted. I'm not sure why I thought everyone already knew Master Chief was Navy...probably my bias since my handle is my entire Navy career, non-violent and violent, put together. There is definitely nothing juvenile about being or becoming a Master Chief. In real life I would never and have never referred to either a Senior Chief or Master Chief as simply, Chief since that is a designation in its own right.

If I win a large enough lottery I'm funding a HALO movie to hell with the naysayers.

I love that line after Arbiter says "We must go. The Brutes have our scent"
Sgt Johnson says "Then, they must love the smell of Bad Ass".

I could handle your random number generator days but this is downright ridiculous did you just call "evolved" one of the "last 3". WTF do you think is the name of the first game and you are actually expecting "Anniversary" to sell at a rate equal to what...its original sales? On what basis would you expect that or put another way you would need to be three parts (out of four) of an idiot to expect that...:rolleyes:

Simply enlisted. I'm not sure why I thought everyone already knew Master Chief was Navy...probably my bias since my handle is my entire Navy career, non-violent and violent, put together. There is definitely nothing juvenile about being or becoming a Master Chief. In real life I would never and have never referred to either a Senior Chief or Master Chief as simply, Chief since that is a designation in its own right.

Well said, with the Navy, as you've stated "Chief" can be any E-7 thru E-9 so I can see why you would not say just "Chief" to a Senior enlisted unless you were referring to a Chief Petty Officer (E-7). It would be inappropriate to refer to a Senior Chief (E-8) or Master Chief (E-9) as just "Chief". In the AF, we only have one "Chief" and that is our E-9 rank of Chief Master Sergeant.

For those that don't know, Master Chief or the equivalent in any military service is limited by law to 1% of the total enlisted force by law. It's a pretty high accomplishment in a members career as NavNucST3 pointed out and is highly respected even in retirement.

OT: From those cut-scenes, the MC doesn't say much, but what he does is timely and be memorable.

Back