Halo movie dumped.

blakjedi

Veteran
http://movies.ign.com/articles/740/740704p1.html

IGN.COM said:
October 20, 2006 - The Halo movie hit a snag today as both studios financing the project dropped out! Rumors are swirling that 20th Century Fox and Universal were freaked out over a rising $135 million budget, but producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh are claiming that the studios bolted after filmmakers and Microsoft refused to have their share of the profit cut.

Walsh and Jackson's rep, Ken Kamins, spoke to industry mag Variety and explained, "What happened was this: Universal, on behalf of both studios, asked for a meeting with the filmmakers just prior to the due date of a significant payment. Basically, they said that in order to move forward with the film, the filmmakers had to significantly reduce their deals. They waited until the last minute to have this conversation. Peter and Fran, after speaking with their producing partners and with Microsoft and Bungie (the studio that designed the original game), respectfully declined."

There goes the movie tie-in with the game!

I really could not tell what section this should be in - games or console talk or general... if for nothing else I wondered what MS new tie in strategy was going to be now that the movie keeps on slipping further into the future. Maybe tie-in the movie and the Halo WARS game for 08?

I thought MSFT was quite generous to these kind of things that cost good money?

Kind of liked the rough draft script... but the budget boost from 70-90M is nice. 200m + PJ? Should be epic!

Neill Blomkamp is still directing and Peter Jackson is still just executive producer. The movie is still in production even without a distribution partner. I agree with GB123 that New Line will pick it up after some nudging by Peter Jackson.

Tommy McClain

Neill Blomkamp is still directing and Peter Jackson is still just executive producer. The movie is still in production even without a distribution partner. I agree with GB123 that New Line will pick it up after some nudging by Peter Jackson.

Tommy McClain

yes the movie is continuing and most likely will get new financing.

I only hope they come up with a decent screenplay. So many Science Fiction films of recent years have been crippled with such dreadful storylines that I'm just hoping they come up with something half-decent this time. (I'm talking about you George Lucas :mad: ).

update

http://www.andnetwork.com/index?service=direct/0/Home/recent.titleStory&sp=l54086

Microsoft Corp. plans to finance a movie based on its popular video game "Halo" after Universal Pictures and 20th Century Fox backed out of the project.

The two studios cut their ties to "Halo" because of costs associated with the movie, which had a preliminary budget of $145 million, the Los Angeles Times reported.

The studios also failed to persuade the filmmakers to renegotiate their contracts, the newspaper said.

"We are disappointed that Universal wanted to significantly renegotiate the financial points of the deal," Microsoft said in a statement Friday. "We are already in discussions with potential partners who recognize the value of the 'Halo' brand."

Fox and Universal also had been in a power struggle over the movie's control, the Times said. The studios refused to comment.

The movie -- a large production replete with complicated special effects -- is scheduled for a summer 2008 release.

United Press International.

Back