GTA V announced [2011] , [2021-11-11]

Just to state the [maybe] obvious. The game looks much better on my TV than it did on any YouTube or Twitch stream. Even the 4K streams of fidelity mode lose a ton of detail and the 60fps modes are nowhere near as soft. Remember, you're getting compression on the streamer's side then realtime transcoding by YouTube/Twitch according to server and network conditions.

I'd wait for the inevitable DF comparison and look at the HQ videos. :yep2:

Sure, but that affects the other quality settings as well. Also, I'm used to translating what I see on YT/Twitch to what I actually end up playing. I can't see a situation where it'd be so outside of my past experiences that the Performance RT mode would actually end up being something I'd find preferable to Performance non-RT mode.

Regards,
SB

Sure, but that affects the other quality settings as well. Also, I'm used to translating what I see on YT/Twitch to what I actually end up playing. I can't see a situation where it'd be so outside of my past experiences that the Performance RT mode would actually end up being something I'd find preferable to Performance non-RT mode.

Out of curiosity, how are you watching the console GTA V streams? Sat at your computer?

I looked some videos up, and it seems like they changed nothing about how the actual reflections work. Which would be the most obvious graphic enhancement in GTA, specially for 1st Person driving (working rear-view mirrors). As it is, RT seems to be a check-list feature more than anything elese. If it's used for shadows, I consider that a waste of resources.

As it is, RT seems to be a check-list feature more than anything elese. If it's used for shadows, I consider that a waste of resources.
Glad it wasn't just me. Some streamers kept switching modes and claiming it looked better and all the time I'm thinking WTF... then I get tiger game myself and can see see no material difference in lighting and reflections between the three modes, other than what the increased resolution affords.

I am still unsure even now. Come on Digital Foundry, put me out of my misery.

The 60fps mode is nice though and driving with the new super fast car certainly shows you can burn some frames quickly. My son is quite happy.

The puddles look no different than they did on ps3. They use planar reflections with their height asjusted dynamically to the most significant surface at any given time. It's not RT.

Digitalwanderer was referencing and joking about the PS4 Spider-Man puddles gate nonsense.

Out of curiosity, how are you watching the console GTA V streams? Sat at your computer?

It's split between my desktop PC and my living room HTPC. I'll use the desktop PC if I want to see more detail although that also increases the visibility of compression artifacts.

Regards,
SB

It should have been a free patch to people who already own the game, then its no problem. What Rockstar is doing now is charging to enable high and ultra settings that have been available for many years in their pc versions. Thats not what we want from Rockstars future games.

Take Two basically acts like it has one title and it’s milking it for all it’s worth. It’s like going to an ultra popular restaurant whose entrees are super expensive only to realize these mofos charge for paper napkins.

It's split between my desktop PC and my living room HTPC. I'll use the desktop PC if I want to see more detail although that also increases the visibility of compression artifacts.
So where I was going with this, is when you consume content close up - like sat at your PC, or close to a laptop - you'll see things that you may notices things that you would not if you were playing the games. For a lot of console owners that'll be from across the room on the sofa. That may be what I'm seeing in effect. The 60fps modes did look softer when I watched streams, but when I played the game myself on my TV, not so much. There's not much in it for me.

So where I was going with this, is when you consume content close up - like sat at your PC, or close to a laptop - you'll see things that you may notices things that you would not if you were playing the games. For a lot of console owners that'll be from across the room on the sofa. That may be what I'm seeing in effect. The 60fps modes did look softer when I watched streams, but when I played the game myself on my TV, not so much. There's not much in it for me.

That's a good point. Pretty much like 720p versus 1080p versus 4k for movies at living room distances on say a 55" TV. Without a side by side comparison most people wouldn't be able to tell which is which from typical living room viewing distances.

Regards,
SB

That accounts for pc gamers (like myself) too, AA becomes less of a problem aswell as other small issues when gaming on the tv (at a distance).

Back