Grand Theft Auto Trilogy: Definitive Edition [PS, XB, NX, PC]

D

Deleted member 11852

A different look, modern graphics effects and improved controls. Coming 11 November.

According to Ars Technica, "Additionally, and arguably more crucially, each game's control suite has been updated to better resemble GTA V, complete with lock-on weapon aiming and custom waypoint mapping. The Nintendo Switch version brings toggleable motion controls and touchscreen support—though we don't yet know whether that version will favor higher fidelity and resolution or higher frame rates."

Moderned controls and graphics and make this an easy re-buy and full re-play for me. I loved this trilogy.

Half baked attempt, that’s what it looks like to me. Yea, preserving original looks etc but I was expecting more what with great remakes these days and the mountain of money R* sits on.

That actually looks surprisingly really good. Certainly much better than I was expecting when I clicked on the video. If you're not going to commit to 10's of millions of USD (per game) in order to remake each game, that's a very good looking attempt to both update the graphics while keeping the signature look of the games.

Regards,
SB

That actually looks surprisingly really good. Certainly much better than I was expecting when I clicked on the video. If you're not going to commit to 10's of millions of USD (per game) in order to remake each game, that's a very good looking attempt to both update the graphics while keeping the signature look of the games.
I like it too. It's a tricky proposition to keep the same rough aesthetic whilst moderating the visuals. And I love the look of the original games but going back to play them is a no-go for me because of the terrible controls. And I just don't want to mess around with PC versions and faffing around with mods.

Yeah, they seem to have retouched all assets. Textures, models and lighting. Added a modern-ish material system and rendering... And still mantained the overal aesthetics of the originals.

I'm sure people will compare each and single thing they did here with every single other mod out there in the web (untill a couple months ago, that is) and there will be things where this or that mod might do a little more impressively, but I doubt any of them will have the consistency from head-to-toe that they'll achieve here. One cannot say they didn't put in the effort.

I wish they had put half that work on GTA V re-re-re-release...

Smart Delivery on Xbox so everyone gets the best version available. No further current-gen upgrade fee shenanigans there.

I'm confused by this. Does this mean if I own GTA III, Vice City or San Andreas on Xbox then the Definitive Edition version of the game is free?

Or is this about upgrading from the Xbox One to Xbox Series version (and PS4 version to PS5 version)? Are there even native current gen versions of the game? :-?

I'll definitely be checking out the Game Pass version of San Andrea to see how the controls are before thinking about buying. I also hope that have toned down the Police vehicle AI, because they just act like missiles in the original versions.

edit: never mind. there are distinct current gen versions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or is this about upgrading from the Xbox One to Xbox Series version? Are there even native current gen versions of the game

Xbox One to Xbox Series versions. I'm a little surprised they're not merely a single versions with being Gen9 aware. So they put a bit of effort into this.

Don't know how they're handling things on the PlayStation side.

Xbox One to Xbox Series versions. I'm a little surprised they're not merely a single versions with being Gen9 aware. So they put a bit of effort into this.

Yeah, I had assumed that there would only be last generation versions enhanced for the new consoles. It'll be interesting to see if there are any differences other than frame rate and resolution between last and current generation versions.

They gave them hands with fingers but didn't bother make these animate properly, looks awkward
I honestly don't mind this at all and the game looks exactly how I remember it when I played it on PS2. :yes:

I'll be giving San Andrea a try on the Series X tomorrow because it's included in Game Pass. If I like what they've done with the controls and shooting mechanics I'll buy the trilogy on PS5 and play them in chronological order: Vice City, San Andreas then GTA III.

Although I would have to spend a quick 10 min go on GTA III first, just for nostalgia's sake!

Back