Grand Theft Auto IV trailer: now online

I really think it looks good. Graphical disapointment? What are you guys talking about. It blows away Saints Row.

I've never played GTA but I might actually be interested in this one.

QFT. I don't know what everybody was expecting here ? I mean, it looks quite good , not Gears of Wars or Crysis like obviously given the scale of the game.

Did you play gta last gen? Did you play any other games on the console (ps2 or xbox)? The difference was night and day. Most other AAA titles on either platform looked significantly better than gta due to the open world nature of gta. This looks quite good for what it is.

I believe this gen is much more capable than this. And as for last gen, there were other "sandbox" games that looked better than gta plus it was larger to boot. I'll just shut-up and wait for a demo to make any more judgements cause as it stands rockstar and i are not fond of each other.

I believe this gen is much more capable than this. And as for last gen, there were other "sandbox" games that looked better than gta plus it was larger to boot. I'll just shut-up and wait for a demo to make any more judgements cause as it stands rockstar and i are not fond of each other.

Indeed this gen probably is. However, this is currently leading the pack in open world visuals IMO.

QFT. I don't know what everybody was expecting here ? I mean, it looks quite good , not Gears of Wars or Crysis like obviously given the scale of the game.

Crysis is on the same scale as GTA in a lot of regards, both have areas where you can see a very long way. GTA might have a bit more basic AI running at any given time, but otherwise the two are very comparable actually. Though we have not seen anything except Crysis come even close to it, so...

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

It's looks awesome!! I am very happy here with what they are doing. It looks like they kept the focus on scale.

And the story line has so much potential. It seems to be a Russian or eastern European immigrant's story. That is so awesome. This may be the best GTA yet!

While improving the graphics by leaps and bounds, they have still managed to keep that GTA look to it. And that is a huge triumph. From the trailer I could tell this was a GTA game even if someone did not tell me before hand.

The main character kind of reminds be of that killer in Behind Enemy Lines. That guy was bad ass.

It's not capable of much more than this (in a free roaming game with near unlimited draw distance).

I'm surprised it looks this good.

Again, the only "next gen" free roaming games we have to compare as yet are Crackdown and Saints Row..looks way better than those.

Is getaway london actually realtime? Because that one looks so much better

Phil Harrison proves last year's demo real. :cool:

March 22, 2006 - Following the cooling-off period from last year's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Sony Computer Entertainment President of Worldwide Studios, Phil Harrison had something to prove. "People didn't believe that The Getaway demo was real-time," he said during his keynote address today at GDC. "I'm going to bring back the same demo today to prove that it was."

And that's exactly what Harrison did. Booting up the same scene from The Getaway shown at last May's event, the president moved the camera around to show everyone that it wasn't a pre-rendered movie at all. Shifting camera perspectives, he zoomed in and out of London's Piccadilly Circus and revealed new angles to a stage that hadn't been seen before.

Sadly, there wasn't much else to the demo other than that. Cars moved realistically down the road; people walked the sidewalks; light reflected off glass and metallic surfaces. It all looked well and good, and as my colleague Chris Roper put it, "It had HDR out the ass!" (For the unfamiliar, HDR is short for 'High Dynamic Range,' which essentially means the manipulation of an image between its brightest and darkest areas beyond the current standard of modern displays.)

It's not capable of much more than this (in a free roaming game with near unlimited draw distance).

Again, the only "next gen" free roaming games we have to compare as yet are Crackdown and Saints Row..looks way better than those.

Just cause?

Crysis is on the same scale as GTA in a lot of regards, both have areas where you can see a very long way. GTA might have a bit more basic AI running at any given time, but otherwise the two are very comparable actually. Though we have not seen anything except Crysis come even close to it, so...

Dunno, there's alot more going on at any given time in GTA than in Crysis (besides a couple of enemies shooting at you and helicopters etc..) IMO. And an actual maps in GTA are prolly bigger than in Crysis (The island probably isn't fully "available" to you and is divided by the missons just like in Farcry and the different city parts in liberty city were you have bridges etc..)

From what i saw it better have a near unlimited draw. I really need to shut up until more info is out.

Uh-huh.

I'll believe it when that game, looking like that, is playable in my hands..

Anyways I dont think Getaway looks that good, just photorealistic.

I will have to find the link…

Sony just showed a recent build (Getaway) to some select media figures behind closed doors.

Dunno, there's alot more going on in at any given time in GTA than in Crysis (besides a couple of enemies shooting at you an hélicopters etc..) IMO. And an actual maps in GTA are prolly bigger than in Crysis (The island probably isn't fully "available" to you and is divided by the missons just like in Farcry and the different city parts in liberty city were you have bridges etc..)

Crysis also can rely on instancing for much of their game world where this environment does not seem to be able to do the same.

Back