Grand Theft Auto IV trailer: now online

Just to reflect on how far we've come:
914983_20041026_screen003.jpg

How do you know that just by looking at the video?
Well, based on what I see here, I can see a nice collection of effects, complex lighting, self-shadowing (shadow maps, based on the induced aliasing and from what we heard from Rockstar Core, here at B3D), decent geometry count, nice close up details, etc...
Also, we got to consider the other free roaming games available, or shown, on X360/PS3 as the defacto standards for this genre of games.
And based on what I played and saw from these other games, GTA4 renderer compares quite favorably, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, this was just a video, let's wait for the final product and see the how the framerate, level of detail and the streaming fare in the retail build.

Hopefully this game won't suffer from the nxt-gen convertitis syndrome which makes last gen games very pretty but with much fewer features - usually due to release schedules and very common on sports games...

Thanks for the effort FF!

@ Scoob
Yeah I couldn't make out any aliasing in watching it but if so that's awesome. Certainly can't complain on the LOD given the scale. I wonder how many discs it is going to ship on? :p

How utterly uninspired.

I guess you can't expect much more when you are having to support the 360's gimped ~8gig storage medium and rendering abilities compared to the PS3.

Sony really needs to step up and do a first party true next gen city scale sandbox engine and game.

10 bucks that his post count doesn't hit 10 before a ban...

EDIt: Wow that was quick! lol

Yeah I couldn't make out any aliasing in watching it but if so that's awesome.

Some scenes are more obvious than others, but the two that stood out to me were the first scene with the blue car driving by (watch the road), and the far shot of the steamliner. The shimmering of some of the shadows also indicates they aren't using bullshot graphics settings of the sort.

I'm i the only one here not impressed? While it's nice that it's located in liberty city, another part of me is saying this is just the same as the PSP gta titles. Same city with some alterations, lame back story, and same washed out gameplay with a twist. Now next gen may save things by allowing gameplay elements they could'nt do due to tech limitations...And the graphics, what a let down! Low polys objects everywhere! I don't care how much is going on, it's no excuse to be that low. Shadows and dynamic lighting isn't masking the single-mapped environment. It's almost an xbox game if you remove them. On the bright side the water is nicely mapped. All and all, this is the reason why i hate MP so much, it just robs the game of it full potencial granted take-2/rockstar never was great at graphics...

I finally saw it on Eurogamer, not HD, but good enough. I have to say i'm pretty impressed, if the game looks like that all the time, i can't wait to see more of it. It looks like it's about someone from Eastern Europe or Russia who has moved to the US (New York?) for a new life, though that seems to be pretty much it plot wise.

rlwimi said:
How utterly uninspired.

I guess you can't expect much more when you are having to support the 360's gimped ~8gig storage medium and rendering abilities compared to the PS3.

Sony really needs to step up and do a first party true next gen city scale sandbox engine and game.

terrible, terrible troll :|

overall, I was impressed.

I really think it looks good. Graphical disapointment? What are you guys talking about. It blows away Saints Row.

I've never played GTA but I might actually be interested in this one.

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4793/bscap0017aw8.jpg

This shot shows near UE3 qaulity statuary in a free roaming game.

I also think it looks better in the vid than the screens do, so I suggest people watch the vid.

BTW, are we saying this is realtime?

I'm i the only one here not impressed?

Did you play gta last gen? Did you play any other games on the console (ps2 or xbox)? The difference was night and day. Most other AAA titles on either platform looked significantly better than gta due to the open world nature of gta. This looks quite good for what it is.

Back