Gamespy's Xbox 360 Top 25 games

Tap In

Legend
Gamespy's Xbox 360 Top 25 games

5 day series finished today

no list and I didn't want to make one so as not to take from the web clicks but, since it's been a few days...

:)

Braid would most certainly have made the top 10 had they included Arcade titles here. IMO

links take you to Gamespy's review

.. The 360 hasn't hit its peak by any means, but we want to recognize 25 of the best games to hit the platform to date.

Note that "best" doesn't mean "categorized by numerical score." By "best" we mean the games that we've personally sacrificed countless hours of sleep and numerous Saturday nights to, regardless of the scores some staffer or other might have assigned in their reviews. And in the case of certain franchises, we've picked the title that we believe to be the best in the series. Our Gamerscores are much larger thanks to these great games.

And for the sake of clarification, we've decided to exclude Xbox Live Arcade titles from the list. We recognize that many of you look at downloadable games as Xbox 360 titles just as much as any disc-based games, and we fought over this internally. But ultimately we decided to focus on great Xbox 360 games that you can pick up at the store, saving the DLC stuff for a possible future piece.

25. FIFA Soccer 08
24. Forza Motorsport 2
23. Earth Defense Force 2017

22. Burnout Paradise
21. Soulcalibur I
20. Dead Rising
19. Prince of Persia
18. Guitar Hero II
17. Street Fighter IV
16. Fable II
15. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
14. Halo 3
13. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
12. Fight Night Round 3
11. Dead Space

10. Left 4 Dead
9. Rock Band 2
8. The Orange Box
7. Gears of War 2
6. Crackdown

5. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Mass Effect
3. BioShock
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

1. Fallout 3

Last edited by a moderator:
A ton of multiplat games in that list, not a single mention of JRPGs (the one genre where the console's overwhelmingly strong) and, for all its flaws, Ninja Gaiden 2 probably should be there. I mean, it's at least as deserving as some of the titles in that list and it's an exclusive. Good thing Dead Rising and Crackdown are there, though.

A ton of multiplat games in that list, not a single mention of JRPGs (the one genre where the console's overwhelmingly strong) and, for all its flaws, Ninja Gaiden 2 probably should be there. I mean, it's at least as deserving as some of the titles in that list and it's an exclusive. Good thing Dead Rising and Crackdown are there, though.

I was actually surprised Crackdown was in there (#6 no less). although it is one of my favorites of the generation, it didn't seem to get the respect that I thought it deserved. Guess I was wrong. :smile:

this kind of sums up feelings for Crackdown.

Who would have ever thought that 500 green glowing orbs would become the focal point of our lives for a short period in 2007? Two years after its release, it's hard not to look back on Crackdown fondly. Especially when you dig up the remnants of its modest reign around the Internet. Realtime Worlds' debut title was a sleeper in every sense of the word. From the swan dive atop the Agency headquarters to the complete destruction of all of Pacific City's organized crime, Crackdown is a memorable foray into superheroism. Or is it?

Oh and no surprise at the number one. :cool:

Crackdown is my #1 360 game, I don't think it's under appreciated by gamers, just missed by casuals. It would be hard to make a top 25 of any newer console without multi-platform games unless you want to include the sub-par like Too Human, you simply will run out of quality games.

I suspect Crackdown wasn't unappreciated at all -- it had the Halo 3 beta, remember. It probably sold a lot more that I'd have expected otherwise.

I suspect Crackdown wasn't unappreciated at all -- it had the Halo 3 beta, remember. It probably sold a lot more that I'd have expected otherwise.

Yeah, but just because it sold a lot, doesn't mean people actually played through it. They bought it specifically Halo 3 beta. And it wouldn't surprise me if there were a large percentage of them that didn't even play it. Personally, I loved it. I didn't get until a year after it came out. But it's still one of my top 10. It will probably always stay on my shelf like Halo 1-3. Hopefully they make a sequel.

Tommy McClain

as AZBat said, many still ignored it thinking it was just a throw in.

It also scored higher on this list than Halo 3 (16) and GoW2 (7) :)

When I played GTA 4, all I could think of was, how much more fun Crackdown was and I was dreaming of importing my fully upgraded Crackdown character to the GTA city and jumping on it's rooftops.

I don't think Crackdown is better than Halo or Gears.
The controls were pretty bad, and it wasn't that much fun, a bit too over the top.

looks like ps3 owners are not missing out that much, according to gamespot anyway.
I also own a 360 (check my youtube account, i have vids of it failing/breaking down constantly), and i believe the 360 has better games than that.
Lost odyssey? lost planet? blue dragon? they need to push the fact that xbox has exclusive games and all that. heck, even throw in pgr just because of that :p

Lost odyssey? lost planet? blue dragon? they need to push the fact that xbox has exclusive games and all that. heck, even throw in pgr just because of that :p
Why? It's not a promotional ad for XB360, but their opinion of the best games. They shouldn't list BD or PGR just because they're exclusive. If all the best games are cross-platform, being honest gives console buyers the most informed decision on which to get.

Why? It's not a promotional ad for XB360, but their opinion of the best games. They shouldn't list BD or PGR just because they're exclusive. If all the best games are cross-platform, being honest gives console buyers the most informed decision on which to get.

but i feel bad for those developers. It's not their fault that they were bought out by microsoft and are only allowed to create games on the corresponding console. (except for lost planet) they should at least be rewarded a little bit for 'selling out', even if it's strictly a business decision.
Also ace combat 6 is the best flight game of this generation, i believe that not all genres are represented equally in that list.

It's funny how Crackdown was lampooned a lot before it's release (on Neogaf for example) as being trash that MS made you buy to get the Halo 3 Beta. And now it's turned into some sort of veritable classic.

I get it, it's GTA where you have superpowers and jump real high and blow stuff up. Of course several games are doing that now, but it was the first AFAIK (waits for ten people to inform no, it wasn't even close to the first! sigh).

Like Mass Effect it's one I never got into, but almost everybody who plays it seems to like.

The Gamespy editors knocking Halo 3 for being too "jingoistic" repeatedly really annoyed. First, I dont remember anything like that, second, must things be so PC these days that we cant have good guys and bad guys anymore, if that was even the case?

Yeah, it's just a list of a few peoples' opinions, not some landmark piece of journalism. My top 25 would look completely different, as would any of yours.

Also ace combat 6 is the best flight game of this generation, i believe that not all genres are represented equally in that list.
I don't believe they need to be. IT isn't a list of 'the best titles in each genre'. It's the best games full stop. Top-down dungeon-crawler hack-n-slashers are a rare breed, such the Untold Legends would be the best of that genre on PS3. But it's tripe, and unworthy of anyone's money IMO, so certainly shouldn't be listed in the top 25 games for PS3. If all the best games on a console are FPSes say, and every other game is rubbish regardless of genre, then the top 25 list would read all FPSes, and perhaps the conclusion at the end is developers need to try harder in other fields. One shouldn't take away from the achievements of the FPS creators though. "Yes, your game is leaps and bounds better than Developer X's game, but as theirs is in an otherwise unrepresented niche genre, we placed their low-quality mess on the list of best ever games instead of yours." I can't see that going down well.

I don't think Crackdown is better than Halo or Gears.
The controls were pretty bad, and it wasn't that much fun, a bit too over the top.

Disagree.

Crackdown is my #1 game this gen..

I'd have Forza 2 in top 5 as well, best multiplayer in any game.

Cheers

When I played GTA 4, all I could think of was, how much more fun Crackdown was and I was dreaming of importing my fully upgraded Crackdown character to the GTA city and jumping on it's rooftops.

I remember thinking that as well! :LOL:

Yeah, it's just a list of a few peoples' opinions, not some landmark piece of journalism. My top 25 would look completely different, as would any of yours.

Indeed. However what makes this a bit more unique compared to many opinions is the game journalists here quite likely played to near completion, many of these games. Most people only buy certain games and either give a quick look at others or try demos or form opinions from movies and word of mouth rather than playing the full game.

I think I'll try to compile my list (it may only be 10 games as I have not played them all :smile:)

anyone else care to compile their top 10-25 list, I'd be interested in seeing those as well. :cool:

Crackdown is my #1 game this gen..

I wouldn't personally go that far, but the game was very fun, if they had put little bit more effort to the plot then maybe.

I don't understand anyone bitching about the controls though...Imo they were pretty much perfect.

Did Braid make the list? Don't feel like clicking through all 26 pages. (there is no short list?)

Big thumbs down to Halo 3 at #14, especially when GoW2 is at 7 :???:

Back