Grand Theft Auto IV trailer: now online

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
Since we're only a few hours away from the GTA4 trailer, opening a new thread on the subject sounds like a good idea to me.

Here's the official website (hammered down already) where the trailer should pop up in a few hours:
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV

Other media outlets should receive copy of the trailer as soon as it goes live, I'll update this first post with links to the trailer mirrors available.

http://movies.teamxbox.com/xbox360/gta4/gta4_3291.wmv
http://movies.teamxbox.com/xbox360/gta4/gta4_3291hd.wmv

By the way, let's keep the talk in this thread centered around GTA4 gameplay and setting speculation.
If you want to talk about the importance of the GTA franchise in the console space, and what it means in terms of sale for the console manufacturers in the current market space, you can use the original announcement thread for that.

Midnight @ CET time.

I'm hoping for Tokyo, or London setting for the game.

People in Tokyo or London are not armed to the teeth like they are in the US. Even the cops are not half as menacing as US cops. I just don't think it would work. Not to mention Tokyo streets yield some of the worst driving experiences in the civilized world.

Also I think I would rip my ears off rather than play a whole game with bad Engrish voice acting.

If not in the US then maybe a City like Moscow or even Hong Kong.

Like I said in some other thread, I've heard rumors about Tokyo. But my vote still goes for an international approach with cities in various countries.

Chi-town

A Chicago like city is what I am hoping for. Chicago has everything.

Big airports
Marinas
Ethnic Neighborhoods
Upscale downtown
Skyscrapers
Big parks
Lake Michigan
Rivers
River Boats with gambling
Sporting centers
Big shopping malls
Mafia history
Many industrial areas
A Harbor
Universities
Museums
A China town
Rural surroundings (your driving through corn fields even just a hours drive away from downtown)
Terrible winters (haven't seen cold weather conditions or snow in a GTA game yet)
Oprah
Jerry Springer

The real question, to me, is will they be able to innovate the series? There have been so many releases of the same formula, that more than other genres perhaps, this series may get punished seriously for not innovating.

I am guessing they may manage to do so, but at the same time I'd wish they'd gone for a whole new IP first, something like they did with Bully.

EDIT: I agree Amsterdam would be a good choice, although it wouldn't be the only game doing that.

Maybe they will invent a European city that is an amalgam of the best bits of several European cities.

My number one choice would be New Orleans though ... ;)

Yes, after.

People in Tokyo or London are not armed to the teeth like they are in the US. Even the cops are not half as menacing as US cops. I just don't think it would work.

Agreed. Tokyo just seems silly...

Not to mention Tokyo streets yield some of the worst driving experiences in the civilized world.

They weren't designed for "driving experiences" they were designed foil and confuse invading armies.

If not in the US then maybe a City like Moscow or even Hong Kong

I like the idea of Hong Kong myself.

GTA4...............Narnia
GTA4...............Kabul
GTA4...............Oz
GTA4...............Prague
GTA4...............Sicily

I'd prefer it if instead of just one major location or interconnected cities, that they go from say US to UK(and other parts of Europe even for just a couple of missions).

My guess would be either a US or Euro location though(nothing specific)

Has R* confirmed anything about era? R* has played heavily with time and location and have exhausted the US' 80-00s.

The action will take place on Coruscant, an entire planet/city with lot of things to do :LOL:

:LOL: I think you may have given Lucas Arts some ideas.
-----------

The only GTA I've ever gotten deep into was 3. It was the first time I'd ever seen anything like it. The other two games following 3 were great but seemed the same with new skins. I doubt R* take as big o' step as they did from 2-3 but I hope there are some innovations to the tired - for me at least - formula.

Back