GI.biz updates article - Switch NOT dropped from PS3

creon100

Newcomer
GI.biz has updated their article which was clearly in error by making the following changes:

The new headline reads "Updated: Sony has other plans for its bank of Gigabit ethernet ports."

They also added the following paragraph: "The bank of network ports on the back of the box can be used as a switch or hub, however, and the company has previously hinted that it has other plans in mind for the multiple network ports."

Of course, they fail to address that their misleading article originally (and could be argued it still does) made it sound as if router functionality had been an announced function at E3, whereas anyone with access to the downloadable E3 press conference can clearly hear Ken Kuturagi say the ports are only used for a switch. Heck, I'll be nice and post a little .wav file of the sound byte here:

Hear KK Say the ports are for a switch

The link to the new updated article:

Updated GI.biz article

A switch, which is basically a hub that just doesn't broadcast all traffic coming into it on every available ethernet port on the device. Most definately not a router.

BlueTsunami said:
Ken Kutagari said:
psh3 will hav a built in Gigabit esanet port, wis two ports switching hub

Hmmmmm...Port switching hub?

if it was a hub , it would the criple the bandwith of the other 2 ports if you plug in 10mbit in one port
a switch has independant configurable ports

hey69 said:
BlueTsunami said:
Ken Kutagari said:

if it was a hub , it would the criple the bandwith of the other 2 ports if you plug in 10mbit in one port

ahhhh, ok. So this whole dropping router functions.....kinda weird since there was never full router functions to begin with (hence the post). So what the hell was dropped...if anything...or was it nothing?....or is this one of those Internet Telephone cases where information comes in at one end...and is slightly altered at the other?

BlueTsunami said:
hey69 said:
BlueTsunami said:
Ken Kutagari said:

ahhhh, ok. So this whole dropping router functions.....kinda weird since there was never full router functions to begin with (hence the post). So what the hell was dropped...if anything...or was it nothing?....or is this one of those Internet Telephone cases where information comes in at one end...and is slightly altered at the other?
Nothing was dropped. In the early stages of PS3 development, they originally wanted to include router functions with the PS3. But, because of cost, they decided to drop the feature. This is what was stated by in the Nikkei article. GI.biz now misinterpreted this, to believe that the router was announced at E3, but was dropped now, when in reality, Sony never announced the feature.

Glad to hear they will still keep the switch functionality. I'm going to have my Xbox and Xbox 360 plugged into my Playstation 3. It's like one ultimate super console.

Shark Sandwich said:
Glad to hear they will still keep the switch functionality. I'm going to have my Xbox and Xbox 360 plugged into my Playstation 3. It's like one ultimate super console.

Thats not a bad idea... :eek:

PG2G said:
Good, so that means I can still use a PS3 to connect the X360 to the wireless network.
Hey, that's a good use for the extra ports... The PS3 really has crazy I/O capabilities, which I think is awesome. Heck, original PS2 had some pretty badass capabilities also, dual USB, firewire and PCMCIA. It's a good tradition they seem to be following upon, and improving, with wireless ethernet, bluetooth, multiple USB and ethernet sockets, etc. Damn! :)

Hopefully, Sony'll release a Linux kit for the console at a reasonable price this time 'round, turn the little box into a full-fledged computer... That'd be awesome. :)

It's kinda weird ... "due to cost considerations"? The costs to write some software, to give support to clueless users? The PS3 got all the hardware it would need to act as a router. Even the PS2 is able to handle PPPoE with today's online games. The Linux kit shouldn't have any trouble to support NAT , IP routing, IP filtering, etc.

I'm pretty certain the switch functionality is on some auxiluary hardware IC and not a software solution running on the actual PS3 main hardware. It's probably integrated into the same IC that contains the IO logic for the various ports. There's really no reason to waste even a clock cycle in Cell merely for providing switch functionality.

PG2G said:
Good, so that means I can still use a PS3 to connect the X360 to the wireless network.

hmm not quite, I think the xbox360 can only work if you connect the Ps3 through a wired network connection. there is a way to do it like the PC where you have nic-to-nic connections, and then you end up using a crossover cable, but I don't think that is possible without software support.

YES! YES! YES! The people finally understand what the truth is. My god I thought the truth would never be televised. I think this is whats going bad in videogaming today. One website reports something and 4 million other sites just regurgitate what the first one says.

More websites need to do their own research!! o_O

Guden Oden said:
Hopefully, Sony'll release a Linux kit for the console at a reasonable price this time 'round, turn the little box into a full-fledged computer... That'd be awesome. :)

Sony has stated that Linux will come pre-installed on all PS3 hard drives. All you'll need is a keyboard and mouse and you'll have your own Cell-powered Linux computer :D

Once again GI.biz shows that it's the only site on the web that can rivals Spong's editorial quality.

Make a sensationalist news first, check your facts later. 101 Web videogame journalism.

EpicZero said:
Nothing was dropped. In the early stages of PS3 development, they originally wanted to include router functions with the PS3. But, because of cost, they decided to drop the feature. This is what was stated by in the Nikkei article. GI.biz now misinterpreted this, to believe that the router was announced at E3, but was dropped now, when in reality, Sony never announced the feature.

EpicZero has it right for the most part, less "Nothing was dropped" should correctly be "Nothing was dropped from the E3 spec announcement".

Titanio said:
Nothing was dropped. IGN got it right in their article:

You are misrepresenting the IGN article.

IGN said:
Providing some insight into the early development of the PS3, the article states that during the system's design phases, Sony considered including router functionality as part of the specifications. However, this idea was scrapped. Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi reveals to the publication that this design decision was made due to cost considerations.

They DO say router features were dropped from the original spec.

They DO say it was not dropped from the E3 spec because this feature was cut before E3.

It was dropped, due to manufacturing cost considerations, prior to the E3 announcement. What GI got wrong in their *commentary* on the news was connecting it to the E3 spec based on the Harrison's comments about a dumb hub. But they did get KK correct.

GI.biz said:
The PlayStation 3 was originally intended to act as a home network router, according to Sony Computer Entertainment boss Ken Kutaragi, who has revealed that the functionality has been dropped because it would have been too expensive.

Speaking with Japanese publication Nikkei Electronics, Kutaragi said that the original specification for the PS3 would have allowed the system's three Gigabit Ethernet ports to be used as a home router.

However, this functionality was dropped since it would have made the console cost too much to manufacture, he admitted - and Sony now expects that users will continue to use their existing router hardware, which is becoming more commonplace in households with broadband internet connections.

The only thing that GI got wrong was WHEN it was dropped.

To boldly say nothing was ever dropped actually contradicts IGN and GI. The issue is one of timing, and indeed, nothing so far has been dropped from the E3 spec.

Back